Youth Patience Myth

AlBear.

You have to assume that the things he does on a park is carrying out the instructions of the management team, otherwise he'd be told to stop doing it or be dropped.

Last night in the second half, there was a point when he was surrounded by 4! St Johnstone players. So that was the LB, LM their forward and CM. We should have had acres of space but noone was making themselves and option for the lad.

As was said earlier, its the tactics we play that I think are not helping Aird. His game is about taking a ball and driving forward, but he has Boyd inside him who isn't mobile and Foster behind him, who isn't a defender and Black inside him, who doesn't get forward.

Doesn't leave him many options.

I think we're right to try and persist with Aird. Although bench time wouldn't be the worst thing either.

He seems like a player with thick skin, that he can handle a few moans and groans and keep going, keep trying to create.

Hopefully he can play his way out of an iffy spell of form and take heart from the fact that, as highlighted already in this thread, he often pops up with a goal or an assist despite having a frustrating game. I'd also add that it's in the nature of a wingers game to often have a frustrating game but then eventually carve out a chance or a goal.

The reason older players are deemed able to take criticism is because they've already been the young player that got criticised and moved on from it. The only myth around young footballers is that they are incapable of handling a bit of criticism. It's an insult to guys like Aird that some fans think he's so soft that he'll be inconsolable when a fan tells him the shite ball he just played was a shite ball. Plenty of people use criticism as a point to build from and prove critics wrong

Son! I don't know how old you are but 'patience' and "Rangers supporters" have never belonged in the same sentence for as long as I have have been a Rangers supporter going back to the early 1950's.

I have lost count of the number of young players who no matter their talent have been crucified over one bad game. Fuck I even remember wee Willie Henderson copping an absolute shellaking not long after he made his debut in the 1960-61 season and also Jim Baxter being called the worst player ever to sign for Rangers in a game at old Broomfield when we were doing it a bit tough at the time.

It goes with the territory being a Rangers player.

Hi Dad. Where the fuck ya been?

The reason older players are deemed able to take criticism is because they've already been the young player that got criticised and moved on from it. The only myth around young footballers is that they are incapable of handling a bit of criticism. It's an insult to guys like Aird that some fans think he's so soft that he'll be inconsolable when a fan tells him the shite ball he just played was a shite ball. Plenty of people use criticism as a point to build from and prove critics wrong

It's hardly an exact science though.

I'd hazard a guess for every young player, that got pelters as a youth, and used it to push on there are 10 who crumbled.

If we want to have a club that encourages youth development and puts faith in those young players then as fans we have to change our attitude.

If we are happy with the idea that harsh criticism of younger players weeds out the inferior, then carry on, but don't expect a team full of these youth players, or managers to trust them when it's their job on the line.

It's hardly an exact science though.

I'd hazard a guess for every young player, that got pelters as a youth, and used it to push on there are 10 who crumbled.

If we want to have a club that encourages youth development and puts faith in those young players then as fans we have to change our attitude.

If we are happy with the idea that harsh criticism of younger players weeds out the inferior, then carry on, but don't expect a team full of these youth players, or managers to trust them when it's their job on the line.

I'd suggest most young players lie somewhere between the crumblers and those that are spurred on by criticism. I'd suggest there are very few players so fragile that criticism sees them crumble. It's all a guess though really isn't it? When a player faces criticism for the first time it's not really going to matter what age they are, if they don't receive it at 19 they'll be Ill equipped for it at 20, 25 or whenever if they've been wrapped in cotton wool until then.

I'd suggest most young players lie somewhere between the crumblers and those that are spurred on by criticism. I'd suggest there are very few players so fragile that criticism sees them crumble. It's all a guess though really isn't it? When a player faces criticism for the first time it's not really going to matter what age they are, if they don't receive it at 19 they'll be Ill equipped for it at 20, 25 or whenever if they've been wrapped in cotton wool until then.

As they mature as individuals they will be able to deal with issues more rationally than as a 16/17/18 year old getting booed and moaned at by tens of thousands of fans. Purely my opinion. I'm not saying it's the only, or even one of the main, reasons we struggle to produce quality youth in quantity but I think it could be a part of the problem. Our expectation and impatience as fans.

Saying that, those levels of expectations and standards are what make us the club we are.

Hi mate :thumbup: I'm pretty good now but I was almost a goner a few weeks ago, but luckily I survived again :party:

Auld Nick still can't catch me :pipe:

Ffs mate, hope you're keeping well. Cunt probably comes for you and he thinks fuck that this auld bassa doesn't shut up :lol:

Ffs mate, hope you're keeping well. Cunt probably comes for you and he thinks fuck that this auld bassa doesn't shut up :lol:

:lol: Ya mad cunt :pipe: I guess that way back in history everybody was a rattler, so I presume Auld Nick is one also, so when he finally gets me, I will annoy the fuck out of him singing The Billy Boys and playing my :crabflute: