Right, let me explain this a bit. Ive been to court over this shite, a song isnt "illegal" and something isnt against the law because its "offensive". Arguments about what the word "fenian" means are irrelevant.

A song or phrase will get you lifted if it can be deemed that saying it could cause public disorder. Which means its down to each polis officers individual interpretation of what could cause disorder. So lets use the Billy Boys as an example, it doesnt matter if you use the word "fenian" or not, if a polis sees you singing it he can lift you, and the judge 99% of the time will agree that singing that song in a football ground or train station etc could cause a public disruption if someone found it offensive. Its not whether the court finds it offensive, if you found it offensive, the court determines whether or not a reasonable person could take offense from what you said and if it could have let to a breach of the peace.

In short, it doesnt matter how offensive you or anyone else finds the words, if a polis lifts you then theres fuck all you can do about it until youre in court and 99% of the time if its your word vs a polis the judge will go with the polis. Its not about whats sectarian or not, its about what could be deemed offensive in the eyes of a reasonable person.

Surely the whole point of 50% of football chants is.... to offend / wind up / get under the skin of..... Said opponent. Surely a sheriff must acknowledge that singing said song at a football game is actually ment to offend only for the duration of the game. And that the reasonable person attending said football game must reasonably expect to be offended.

The other 50% of songs are in praise of your own team btw.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still prefer "Up to our knees in paedo blood". Surely no-one could be offended by that? Or could they?

I'd love to see the reaction from the filth,the daily record,the bbc,in fact every media outlet in this country if we started singing "up to our knees in rebel blood".

cannae believe we cannae just no sing The old style club version The Rangers Boy? inside groundsthen outside let it rip haha

i cannae get my heed round why the Blue order etc wont give it a wee go !!! If we want it back the words need changed so lets hand out sheets at every turnstyle and say this is the new words get it done you lot!!!

cannae believe we cannae just no sing The old style club version The Rangers Boy? inside groundsthen outside let it rip haha

i cannae get my heed round why the Blue order etc wont give it a wee go !!! If we want it back the words need changed so lets hand out sheets at every turnstyle and say this is the new words get it done you lot!!!

The Billy Boys was like a battle cry,and to be fair I think the "tamer" version of it just won't hold the same power mate.

I wait with baited breath for someone to explain to me how fenian can mean Irish rebel in one country,and roman catholic in another.....