Ched Evans

Gers1690

Well for a start he shouldn't be allowed to work again until he has actually served his full sentence, but personally I think he should still be in jail seeing out his full sentence.

Secondly IMO should not be allowed to come out and return to such a high paid job in the same profession as he was preciously in

And because he has refused to apologise I'd make him live off benefits

If he wins an appeal then obviously its a different matter and I'd accept it unlike some people who refuse to accept that he is guilty despite not knowing all the evidence

But the fact is as it stands he is a rapist

He won't be on anything like the same salary. He'd probably work for free at the moment.

How does forcing someone to live off benefits help the state?

There is no requirement in law to apologise. Everybody has a right to insist on their innocence. It's up to a court to decide if it agrees with you.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be threatened or have their loved ones threatened with rape I'd imagine.

They are doing nothing against the law but have cowards and thugs trying to force their views through violence to get their own way.

You cheer that as some sort of victory, that's sad as fuck tbh.

No, what i cheer is that he won't be signing for Oldham

He won't be on anything like the same salary. He'd probably work for free at the moment.

How does forcing someone to live off benefits help the state?

There is no requirement in law to apologise. Everybody has a right to insist on their innocence. It's up to a court to decide if it agrees with you.

You're right, there isn't a requirement in law to apologise, just like there isn't a requirement for a rapist to be given work.

If an average Joe went and raped someone I doubt they'd ever find work again

Well for a start he shouldn't be allowed to work again until he has actually served his full sentence, but personally I think he should still be in jail seeing out his full sentence.

Either way, that would require a change to the current legislation which we can assume you would support, but should we contravene the current measures just to appease a mob outcry or should we let the system do what it does till we change it?

Secondly IMO should not be allowed to come out and return to such a high paid job in the same profession as he was preciously in

And because he has refused to apologise I'd make him live off benefits

Again, a law change would be required, but would it only be rapists or would murderers be included? Also, anyone else you'd want to suffer additional punishment?

If he wins an appeal then obviously its a different matter and I'd accept it unlike some people who refuse to accept that he is guilty despite not knowing all the evidence

Quite a gear change. Would you write a letter of personal apology to him, if cleared, or feel bad about going so extreme in your comments?

But the fact is as it stands he is a rapist

Almost correct on that point, but I won't be pedantic on that issue.

You're right, there isn't a requirement in law to apologise, just like there isn't a requirement for a rapist to be given work.

If an average Joe went and raped someone I doubt they'd ever find work again

Like it or not, criminals need to be rehabilitated back into society. And that includes finding employment.

He will have the tag of "rapist" for the rest of his life. Earning money will not change that.

Rightly or wrongly a precedent has been set by allowing Lee Hughes to return to the profession following serving time for manslaughter.

You can't say "you can return to football if convicted of this crime but you can't if convicted of that one".

Evans is no more of threat playing football then he would be doing a less high profile job so if a club is willing to give him a contract then I don't think you can stop him from playing.

Rightly or wrongly a precedent has been set by allowing Lee Hughes to return to the profession following serving time for manslaughter.

You can't say "you can return to football if convicted of this crime but you can't if convicted of that one".

Evans is no more of threat playing football then he would be doing a less high profile job so if a club is willing to give him a contract then I don't think you can stop him from playing.

Luke McCormick caused the death of two children by dangerous driving and is a regular for a football league side just now, if a player can return to the game from that crime then I don't see how Evans can't return from this one.

Evans has released a statement insisting that he still denies the allegations but would like to apologise for the "effects that night had on many people, especially the woman in question".

Don't know if that's an attempt to get Oldham rethink, or for other possible future suitors.

Throw in Luke McCormick and Marlon King too.

I wonder if Martin showed such moral outrage when both of those guys found employment within football, with one of them now being a club captain, after they were released from prison.

Ched Evans: Convicted rapist and footballer issues apology

Footballer Ched Evans has apologised "for the effects" of his actions in 2011 but continues to maintain his innocence over his rape conviction.

Evans issued a statement hours after it emerged League One sideOldham Athletic would not be signing the player.

He was jailed in April 2012 for raping a woman, 19, at a north Wales hotel.

The 26-year-old said: "I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30727380

I have read it as I have done with many other documents following this case over the past 2 years.

My view has not changed one bit and I think the appeal will be successful.

He won't admit any wrongdoing as he is appealing his conviction.

He's effectivly been forced to a half hearted apology as his attempts to return to work have been hijacked by the social media mob.

I actually think he has put himself and clubs in an incredibly difficult position by trying to get back into football while the case is still active within the judicial system i.e going to appeal and somebody should have advised him that it was a bad move to make so soon after coming out of jail and with him planning to appeal.

Regardless of my personal opinion on the case in the eyes of the law he is a convicted (and unrepentant) rapist and I think this "idea" that he feels he can come out of jail and just expect to start playing football again as if nothing has happened is what's stirred up a lot of the emotion among social media mobs IMO.

I genuinely think that has brought a lot more attention/anger/moral outrage towards the issue than there would have been if he had held off until after the appeal was heard and then accepted the punishment, apologised for his actions if it failed and then tried to get back into football.

Given the title and subtitle of that article, as seen below, I find it difficult to feel that it's completely impartial.

'Ched Evans has served his time' - and other common misconceptions about the convicted rapist footballer

A handy rebuttal guide

Aside from views on his guilt I think the big issue now is whether the kind of mob rule we've now seen is correct

Given the title and subtitle of that article, as seen below, I find it difficult to feel that it's completely impartial.

While it may have been written from a more feminist point of view, I've not seen anyone dispute the facts in the article. The ones that were proven at trial.