***official Copa America 2015 Thread***

It's funny the way Mascherano was (rightly) praised for consistently linking the defence and the midfield, and for moving the ball on to his team-mates, and Di Maria was for running around a lot and not having much end product. If Messi was judged by these standards everybody would have been raving about him, considering he passed the ball, created all the chances, ran about and scored most of the goals too, but he wasn't judged by those standards and never will be, quite rightly, because he's on a different level. What that means, though, is that he didn't play as well as we expect Lionel Messi to play. The idea that he didn't play as well as Di Maria seems laughable to me. It's all opinions though, obviously.

I wouldn't have said Di Maria, myself. I was thinking back to discussions I seemed to have at the time.

As you rightly say, Mascherano isn't expected to take it past five players and end up as the tournament golden boot; nor is he, however, constantly slavered over as being the best player to ever walk the earth, despite doing fuck all (relative) on numerous occasions, on footballs biggest stage.

Gets a bit waring for me, personally.

Going back to the original point, outwith the Argentina contingent, there were far better players at the tournament. The POTT was ridiculous.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have said Di Maria, myself. I was thinking back to discussions I seemed to have at the time.

As you rightly say, Mascherano isn't expected to take it past five players and end up as the tournament golden boot; nor is he, however, constantly slavered over as being the best player to ever walk the earth, despite doing fuck all (relative) on numerous occasions, on footballs biggest stage.

Gets a bit waring for me, personally.

Going back to the original point, outwith the Argentina contingent, there were far better players at the tournament. The POTT was ridiculous.

What other players were far better?

Messi wasn't that much better, looked completely affronted when collecting the award at the end, rightly so. Far better players for Argentina, never mind the whole rest of the tournament.

And weren't the polar bears superlative :P

Have to disagree about Messi not being much better. Messi wasn't at the top of his game but Aguero was nothing more than an empty jersey the whole world cup. Aguero was unfit and looked as if he didn't want to be there and in my opinion should not have been.

Messi was under-par from his usual stellar standards but he was still Argentina's main outlet of attack and biggest threat up front.

It was a bit like that at South Africa 2010 too. He ran the show in the last third and did everything but score in that tournament... But because it is Messi he was absolutely savaged by most fans and pundits alike.

He even gets it in Argentina where a lot of the fans seem to appreciate the less-skillful more 'honest' endeavour of Carlos Tevez. The thing is though, if you strip back the amazing skill of Messi, he has every bit as much of 'honest endeavour' and energy for the game as Tevez or anyone in world football. We are talking about a guy who has played non-stop football for two years solid at the highest level and managed to have an impact in all of that period... And he's not finished yet either.

I guess he has somewhat made a rod for his own back by being so bloody consistently spectacular that unless he is beating five players and lobbing the keeper every other game (which to be fair he kind of does actually do every other game) , people criticise him for being ineffective and poor.

I do, however, agree about the Polar Bears; they were superlative.

james rodriguez , muller i would say , i agree with the poster who said though it is a bit unfair because messi was good and his goals dragged the argies through but he simply is held too a higher standard than other players

Don't think a player who doesn't play in the semis should even be considered for the award.

Muller was good, but that's by his own standards. If Messi played like Muller did in that tournament he would have had a poor one. And if Muller played like Messi he would have been regarded as having a superb tournament.

Just how it works.

Don't think a player who doesn't play in the semis should even be considered for the award.

Muller was good, but that's by his own standards. If Messi played like Muller did in that tournament he would have had a poor one. And if Muller played like Messi he would have been regarded as having a superb tournament.

Just how it works.

yeah suppose thats a gd point i dont have a problem really with messi getting the award because the germans strengh really was in their team unit rather than individual brilliance where i think messi and mascherano were let down a bit by their team mates , also think leaving out tevez cost them

Have to disagree about Messi not being much better. Messi wasn't at the top of his game but Aguero was nothing more than an empty jersey the whole world cup. Aguero was unfit and looked as if he didn't want to be there and in my opinion should not have been.

Messi was under-par from his usual stellar standards but he was still Argentina's main outlet of attack and biggest threat up front.

It was a bit like that at South Africa 2010 too. He ran the show in the last third and did everything but score in that tournament... But because it is Messi he was absolutely savaged by most fans and pundits alike.

He even gets it in Argentina where a lot of the fans seem to appreciate the less-skillful more 'honest' endeavour of Carlos Tevez. The thing is though, if you strip back the amazing skill of Messi, he has every bit as much of 'honest endeavour' and energy for the game as Tevez or anyone in world football. We are talking about a guy who has played non-stop football for two years solid at the highest level and managed to have an impact in all of that period... And he's not finished yet either.

I guess he has somewhat made a rod for his own back by being so bloody consistently spectacular that unless he is beating five players and lobbing the keeper every other game (which to be fair he kind of does actually do every other game) , people criticise him for being ineffective and poor.

I do, however, agree about the Polar Bears; they were superlative.

For all the fawning over him - not meaning yourself - I've yet to see the 'best player eva,' according to people who have just started shaving, deliver a spectacular performance consistently on the biggest stage; deliver his country a WC, or be the best play at a tournament by a country mile.

I'm an old bastard and have seen a couple who have, genuinely, done that over the years.

I take it you've decided that he was the best player in the tournament, so there is little point in continuing,

Agree to disagree, vehemently. Personally, I think the award was a joke.

You made the comment so back it up with players. Seems like you can't though.

This Bolivia Ecuador game is insane

3-0 to Bolivia at HT

Ecuador scoring a penalty then having to retake and missing it and Bolivia go down the other end and get one themselves

It's pure end to end and its like 2 pub teams playing on a Sunday

Shocking standard but thoroughly enjoyable

Any betting men out there, get on a red card as there's one def gonna happen in this game

You made the comment so back it up with players. Seems like you can't though.

Not at all; pretty futile, however, if you are ruling out Rodriguez as his team didn't make the Semi - considering Messi did the square route of fuck all in the Semi or the Final. Him, Robben, about three of the German players, perhaps more deserving of the Adidas award, received, funnily enough, by the Adidas golden boy.

I rate di maria on the same level as pedro below sancez who is below neymar/bale who are velow messi/ronaldo

Cant understand people who rate him. Im assuming they have never properly played or been involved with football before. he will be shite next season too, show him on to his right foot and it totally takes him out of the game. Like navas etc

This post is just a contradiction.

This post is just a contradiction.

It is a bit. I think the lads point was he doesn't rate him amongst the elite as it would seem many (many who are far more knowledgeable than I am) do. TBH that's my point on the player.

For all the fawning over him - not meaning yourself - I've yet to see the 'best player eva,' according to people who have just started shaving, deliver a spectacular performance consistently on the biggest stage; deliver his country a WC, or be the best play at a tournament by a country mile.

I'm an old bastard and have seen a couple who have, genuinely, done that over the years.

He hasn't reached the same heights of outrageous skill at a major international tournament as he frequently reaches domestically and in the Champions League. Yes, that much is true. Maradona did in 1986 and those goals against England and Belgium especially are etched in the memory forever.

Believe me, I would rather there were more people like yourself hailing El Diego as the undisputed best ever as he is a personal hero of mine.

But even I get twitchy about just who is numero uno when I watch wee Messi's magic.

One thing shall remain undisputed: Argentina have been truly blessed.

Uruguay must have been some team from 1916 to the 1930s.

A nation of just three million winning everything put in front of them. Copa Americas, Olympic Games, World Cup.

It's a pity they have been such dirty bastards ever since. I'm looking at you, Miguel Bossio, Paolo Montero, Luis Suarez et al. :p20:

Enzo Francescoli must be ashamed to be associated with some of that lot.