***official Copa America 2015 Thread***

Uruguay. 15 times I think. They won the first in 1916, if I remember correctly and won the last in 2011.

Since it is the oldest international football competition in the world and Uruguay had a decent time years and years ago, I would guess they won it quite a few times back in the 1920s, 30s and 40s before Brazil became a force.

I know the first was in 1916 as this is as close to a centennial competition as they will get and it was rumoured that Scotland would be invited as a guest nation because of the ties between Scotland and South American football (especially Argentina and, to a slightly lesser extent, Brazil).

What a memory. ;) Correct.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This co-commentator just opens his moof and let's his belly rumble.

"Everyone remembers the attacking prowess of Kun Aguero and Messi and of course Di Maria at the World Cup."

No, we really don't! Aguero was shit! He was so fucking shit! He was actually scandalously fucking shit!

"Bossa Nova... Polar Bears... Wardrobes... Orchestras... Embroidery... Bag of wet mice... blah... blah... rumble..."

This co-commentator just opens his moof and let's his belly rumble.

"Everyone remembers the attacking prowess of Kun Aguero and Messi and of course Di Maria at the World Cup."

No, we really don't! Aguero was shit! He was so fucking shit! He was actually scandalously fucking shit!

"Bossa Nova... Polar Bears... Wardrobes... Orchestras... Embroidery... Bag of wet mice... blah... blah... rumble..."

Messi wasn't that much better, looked completely affronted when collecting the award at the end, rightly so. Far better players for Argentina, never mind the whole rest of the tournament.

And weren't the polar bears superlative :P

Messi wasn't that much better, looked completely affronted when collecting the award at the end, rightly so. Far better players for Argentina, never mind the whole rest of the tournament.

And weren't the polar bears superlative :P

Who else was better for Argentina?

What the fuck is the Venezuelan keeper up to there, down like he'd been done by a sniper and rolling in agony.

Absolutely fucking embarrassing.

Can you send me the link please, mate?

Was going to post the same as ger4life - thought Mascherano was their stand out all tournament.

Think you could easily argue Di Maria overall in the games he played.

Di Maria had a nightmare :lol:

Messi wasn't at his best but he was comfortably their best attacker

As he is a Man U player previously of Madrid currently being linked with top class clubs around Europe I accept this as a bold comment but I have always considered Di Maria vastly over rated. Watched so much of Madrid and he would give away possession far to much to be considered a top class player. WTF do I know - all of those Managers can't be wrong but I just do not see him worth what has been spent, not nearly.

Sanchez for 25 million less?

I wouldn't have said Di Maria myself, however, that seemed the consensus of many prior to injury.

The point still stands, Mascherano put in better performances than him; regardless of what position he plays.

Leaving the Argentinian squad aside, POTT was a complete and utter joke.

Was going to post the same as ger4life - thought Mascherano was their stand out all tournament.

Think you could easily argue Di Maria overall in the games he played.

It's funny the way Mascherano was (rightly) praised for consistently linking the defence and the midfield, and for moving the ball on to his team-mates, and Di Maria was for running around a lot and not having much end product. If Messi was judged by these standards everybody would have been raving about him, considering he passed the ball, created all the chances, ran about and scored most of the goals too, but he wasn't judged by those standards and never will be, quite rightly, because he's on a different level. What that means, though, is that he didn't play as well as we expect Lionel Messi to play. The idea that he didn't play as well as Di Maria seems laughable to me. It's all opinions though, obviously.

As he is a Man U player previously of Madrid currently being linked with top class clubs around Europe I accept this as a bold comment but I have always considered Di Maria vastly over rated. Watched so much of Madrid and he would give away possession far to much to be considered a top class player. WTF do I know - all of those Managers can't be wrong but I just do not see him worth what has been spent, not nearly.

Sanchez for 25 million less?

I rate di maria on the same level as pedro below sancez who is below neymar/bale who are velow messi/ronaldo

Cant understand people who rate him. Im assuming they have never properly played or been involved with football before. he will be shite next season too, show him on to his right foot and it totally takes him out of the game. Like navas etc