Ashley Regime 'from Another Planet'

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley runs the club "from another planet", according to former manager Kevin Keegan.

In a critique of the Sports Direct billionaire's tenure since 2007, Keegan said fans of the Premier League club had been treated with "disrespect".

"It is almost as if Mike Ashley has said, 'what is the worst I can do?" the ex-Liverpool striker told Sportsweek.

The Magpies play West Ham on Sunday and must match Hull's result against Manchester United to avoid the drop.

Speaking before the final game of the season - which manager John Carver has called "the biggest in six years" - Keegan said Ashley treats the club as "just a commodity" and there is "all sorts wrong with the club".

In March, the club announced a record annual profit of £18.7m for 2013-14, the fourth consecutive financial year they have made money - although debt remains at £129m, which the club say is an interest-free loan from Ashley.

He said back in September that he "would not sell the club at any price" at least until the end of the 2015-16 season.

Keegan, 64, adopted an attacking brand of football during his first spell as Newcastle manager from 1992-97, and he side were pipped to the Premier League title by Manchester United in 1996.

He resigned from his second spell in charge of Newcastle shortly after the transfer window closed in September 2008, saying clubs should not "impose" unwanted players on a manager.

"It is not a great time to be a Newcastle fan. I just hope and pray they get the result [against West Ham] and then something good happens to that club, with Mike Ashley selling it or getting out of there because he doesn't understand the club," added Keegan.

Ashleyout.com group are planning to occupy St James' Park after the final whistle on Sunday following other protests against the owner in recent weeks, which included a fans boycott of the home game against Tottenham in April.

But Keegan said the club needed to recapture the "emotional attachment" to the fans.

"It is not difficult to work out unless you come from another planet and I think Mike Ashley runs that club from another planet," said Keegan.

"Fans are being treated with such disrespect. Fans don't want to go to games, they want to protest.

Norman Watson, chairman of the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust:

"None of this profit is being reflected on the pitch. The club went nearly 18 months without signing a full-time professional player on a permanent deal.

"Fans want to see money invested in the playing staff - the squad is extremely thin on the ground."

"I don't think the answer is to boycott the game, but to get through the season, hopefully stay up, and then hope and pray someone with lot of money who cares about Newcastle comes along and says, 'that's for me'.

"They need to sit down with sensible people, not some of those people that Mike Ashley put around him in the past - I had the misfortune to work with some of them - and say 'what is this club about and how do we change it for the better?'. It is not a difficult solution.

"It is not just me that would urge him to go, everybody connected with that football club, even some of the people employed there. It is time for a change."

Ashley is just a misunderstood multi-billionaire.

He really cares about the football clubs he is involved with and the fans of these clubs just don't know when they've got it good.

The deals he makes are to make loads of money but there are rumours that he'll splurge it on the clubs on some yet to be determined date, the cheque is in the post and please believe the spindoctors, you just know he'll come through.

If only he was yesterday's news, unfortunately he's still ripping off the club with the retail deal thanks to the previous regime.

I meant in terms of debating how right he is for running a football club. I take your point though the board is going to have to work very hard to get rid of him.

Ashley should be embarrassed by his relationship with Newcastle and Rangers.

But he's a smug multi-millionaire so does not care. Even the House of Commons couldn't bring him to task.

Football fan ? Just a money making toy to him.

Only consolation is he'll never know the real passion and enjoyment of being a real football fan, win or lose, something that most Gers (and Newcastle fans) know can't be bought or sold.

The cavalry will be on in a minute to tell you that every Newcastle fan and legend doesn't know what they are talking about, have unrealistic expectations and mention Deloitte's rich list, while obviously not defending Ashley in any way.

Sad that him being involved actually makes me want them to get relegated.

The cavalry will be on in a minute to tell you that every Newcastle fan and legend doesn't know what they are talking about, have unrealistic expectations and mention Deloitte's rich list, while obviously not defending Ashley in any way.

Sad that him being involved actually makes me want them to get relegated.

I'm sure many would 'love it' if Newcastle were relegated back to where they belong. :)

I'm sure many would 'love it' if Newcastle were relegated back to where they belong. :)

I want Hull relegated as that traitor bastard McGregor plays for them. I couldn't give a fuck about Newcastle.

As for relegation I hope Hull get fucked as the fans of Newcastle don't deserve to be fucked over by a shit owner and his pals.

Remember when that happened to us, hopefully when the Newcastle fans finally get shot of them they don't make our mistake and bring some of the useless bastards back after a few years.

Oh look the usual suspects post a thread about their usual hate figure which has got fuck all to do about Rangers, then wait for the usual suspects to come along and point this out so the first usual suspects can call them names.

Sad individuals indeed.

And then comes the usual suspect with his usual post about the usual suspects on both sides but as usual it is really only aimed at the usual suspects on one side of the argument. Sad individual indeed.

And then comes the usual suspect with his usual post about the usual suspects on both sides but as usual it is really only aimed at the usual suspects on one side of the argument. Sad individual indeed.

Oh look it's Keyser Soze himself. (tu)

Surprised you managed to read my post with your head shoved up Spin City's arse.

Oh look the usual suspects post a thread about their usual hate figure which has got fuck all to do about Rangers, then wait for the usual suspects to come along and point this out so the first usual suspects can call them names.

Sad individuals indeed.

Not call names, just point out that you are wrong.

Wrong as in, It may have something to do with Rangers.

Sad individual:

Someone who has backed spivs and leeches who plundered Rangers and instead of holding their hands up and admit they were completely wrong, would rather keep on bitching against those who made the effort to get our club back and start a rebuild.

Not call names, just point out that you are wrong.

Wrong: It may have something to do with Rangers.

Sad individual:

Someone who has backed spivs and leeches who plundered Rangers and instead of holding their hands up and admit they were completely wrong, would rather keep on bitching against those who made the effort to get our club back and start a rebuild.

Great post as usual Spin city.

Sad individuals indeed.

Lol, an interview from a sacked employee who thinks it's right that an owner should give Newcastle £50 million a year to eh finish 6th.

Keegans yet another deluded cunt who thinks Newcastle are a big club

Lol, an interview from a sacked employee who thinks it's right that an owner should give Newcastle £50 million a year to eh finish 6th.

Keegans yet another deluded cunt who thinks Newcastle are a big club

You must have a different copy of the article because in the one I have, I can't see 50M a year being mentioned.

Or is it that you can empathise with a "deluded cunt" and know what they are thinking?

Says in the interview he is categorically not selling Newcastle until they win something, and would class a CL spot as such.

Maybe also class winning the Championship as such :P

First time I've ever seen him interviewed.

What's brought this on, then?