Memories Of Jim Denny

First heard of him as a strong player with Yoker Athletic. Replaced Alex Miller in the 1971 Scottish Cup Final replay after Miller had suffered a broken jaw in the first game. Not quite sure how ofter he played after that but think he moved to Hearts for a few years in the autumn of his career. Can any bear help me with the stats of his career and any anecdotes.

Apparently he was warming up at an Old Firm game prior to coming on as a substitute and sprinted off toward the Celtic fans. When asked about this, his reply was his reception was gentler from Celtic fans than his own fans.

First heard of him as a strong player with Yoker Athletic. Replaced Alex Miller in the 1971 Scottish Cup Final replay after Miller had suffered a broken jaw in the first game. Not quite sure how ofter he played after that but think he moved to Hearts for a few years in the autumn of his career. Can any bear help me with the stats of his career and any anecdotes.

Apparently he was warming up at an Old Firm game prior to coming on as a substitute and sprinted off toward the Celtic fans. When asked about this, his reply was his reception was gentler from Celtic fans than his own fans.

Jim Denny played for us from 1970 up to circa 1977 or 1978? with 37 appearances, including the first game of our Cup Winners cup season against Stade Rennes in France (1-1) so in reality he didn't play that many games. My memory is a bit blurry but I am sure he made his debut in that 1971 cup final replay.

He joined Hearts and played his first game for them on September 1979 and played 53 games with his last being May 1981 before being given a free transfer to Stirling Albion where he played the one season with Stirling (20 appearances)

From there he moved to Irvine Vics in the Ayrshire League for a few seasons before then signing for Troon Juniors in 1985 where I assume he last played.

Here is a picture of Jim playing for Rangers

post-48740-0-58585900-1434418404_thumb.j

Jim Denny played for us from 1970 up to circa 1977 or 1978? with 37 appearances, including the first game of our Cup Winners cup season against Stade Rennes in France (1-1) so in reality he didn't play that many games. My memory is a bit blurry but I am sure he made his debut in that 1971 cup final replay.

He joined Hearts and played his first game for them on September 1979 and played 53 games with his last being May 1981 before being given a free transfer to Stirling Albion where he played the one season with Stirling (20 appearances)

From there he moved to Irvine Vics in the Ayrshire League for a few seasons before then signing for Troon Juniors in 1985 where I assume he last played.

Here is a picture of Jim playing for Rangers

He played for Cambuslang Rangers circa 1988-1990

Remember him replacing Alex Milller in a cup final against Celtic . I think Jim Brogan broke Alex Millers jaw. Jim Denny was not a great player and struggled to get a game for us in a not particularly strong Rangers team . He would be up there with Ricky Foster infact I would say Foster was the better player

That's interesting,Buggles. He would have been around the 39-40 yr old mark by then.

Played sweeper for Cambuslang Rangers alongside another veteran of senior football Brian Ahern who was at Clyde for years. Played regularly in Cambuslang's league winning team in 88-89.

Played sweeper for Cambuslang Rangers alongside another veteran of senior football Brian Ahern who was at Clyde for years. Played regularly in Cambuslang's league winning team in 88-89.

Was that the same season that Will Hay scored a record amount of goals for Cambuslang or am I getting my seasons mixed up.?

Remember him replacing Alex Milller in a cup final against Celtic . I think Jim Brogan broke Alex Millers jaw. Jim Denny was not a great player and struggled to get a game for us in a not particularly strong Rangers team . He would be up there with Ricky Foster infact I would say Foster was the better player

Not a particularly strong Rangers team??? In then early 70's ??

I hate this urban myth. Yes, that lot were dominant but he had Sandy Jardine in his way for a start!!

We had Greig Johnstone, Stein willie Johnston - we won the cup winners cup ffs beaten the mighty Bayerm Mjnich in the semis.

Two or three years later we won two trebles with the core of that squad.

Jim Denny was pish though

I have heard of Brian Ahern through reading football magazines at the time, although I have never seen him play. All I know is that he played for Clyde in over 400 games and I certainly didn't know Jim Denny played for Cambuslang either.

I have heard of Brian Ahern through reading football magazines at the time, although I have never seen him play. All I know is that he played for Clyde in over 400 games and I certainly didn't know Jim Denny played for Cambuslang either.

He got as much pelters from junior fans as he did from Rangers fans.

He got as much pelters from junior fans as he did from Rangers fans.

Aye! Fans always moan and groan about players :D That's why managers always give fans the rubber ear. I had one old duck threaten to stab me with her knitting needles one game if I didn't change my team selection :lol:

Brian Ahern had the honour of scoring a milestone goal for Rangers, albeit an Own goal, as he was playing for Clyde at Ibrox at the time. The goal was either our 6,000th in the League, or our 10,000th in all competitions, I can't remember which.

He was also a long time stalwart behind the bar in the National Savings Bank staff social club at Cowglen, from what I heard years ago.

As for Jim Denny, he was probably the most scorned Rangers player of his era, but I don't mind saying I would take his limited but honest endeavours over the half arsed performances I have seen from many more recent players - and when I say recent, I'm going back more than three years.

seen him score a screamer against Dalry thistle

Hopefully when he played for the Vics cos he never scored a goal for Gers, Hearts or Stirling Albion.

He was average at best but would have been a shoe in our team for the last three years.