LIVE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW!

Bazza

Well we are also from a backwater nation then. ;)

The 10th best ranked league in Europe hardly makes us backwater... ;)

The reason we're ranked so highly is because of the recent endeavours of the OF in Europe I believe.

The rest of our league is pretty woeful tbh.

The Championship is MUCH stronger than the SPL - but doesn't have the glam of Europe.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing is Danny, last year , even though we were excited, we were diving into the great unknown as 99% of us hadnt even heard of svensson clement sionko sebo etc until we did our research. This season we have so far signed household names and ae also being linked with players we can all relate to and know what they are going to give us.

ps. i remember what you said after the 1st molde game....you completely flipped your lid , so i was like ey ey calm down calm down :craphead:

the thing is Danny, last year , even though we were excited, we were diving into the great unknown as 99% of us hadnt even heard of svensson clement sionko sebo etc until we did our research. This season we have so far signed household names and ae also being linked with players we can all relate to and know what they are going to give us.

Same with the manager last year though. We all considered him a Messiah who would turn us into Barcelona.

ps. i remember what you said after the 1st molde game....you completely flipped your lid , so i was like ey ey calm down calm down :craphead:

I did go mildly nuts :lol: with good reason though - our display in Norway was abominable.

The reason we're ranked so highly...

Highly? 10th in Europe is pretty woeful I'd say.

Well, let's see who'd be above us:

France, Spain, Italy, England, Portugal, Netherlands for sure.

Then I'd imagine your Greeces, Turkeys, Ukraines.

I wouldn't say that's TOO bad?

Germany, buddy?

Current standings

1 Spain

2 England

3 Italy

4 France

5 Romania

6 Germany

7 Netherlands

8 Russia

9 Portugal

10 Ukraine

11 Scotland

Not very impressive really.

So we're ABOVE your Greeces and Turkeys? tbh, I don't think that's that bad.

Germany, buddy?

I always forget the Germans.

Well maybe woeful was a bit strong but I've been annoyed for years about what I see as under performance by Scotland. For the country that invented the game, and with the highest support in Europe by capita, I'd say being only just ahead of the likes of Belgium below Greece, Turkey and Ukraine is not great and there should not be such a large gap with the Dutch and Portuguese. Our problem though is how pathetically dire the non-Old Firm teams have been in their contribution to the co-efficient. I wouldn't expect that much but it is practically non existent. It's hard to imagine how they could have done worse.

The Old Firm have also underperformed really. If you look at it with your head, you need at least one season in five where both the OF have a reasonable year. Actually it's amazing how they have never both managed to have a half decent run in Europe since the co-efficient started. Maybe this is the year. Scotland should be in a position whereby our champions are guaranteed entry to the group stages...looking on the bright side...despite both large and small clubs generally under performing...we are not far off that situation.

Current standings

1 Spain

2 England

3 Italy

4 France

5 Romania

6 Germany

7 Netherlands

8 Russia

9 Portugal

10 Ukraine

11 Scotland

Not very impressive really.

So we're ABOVE your Greeces and Turkeys? tbh, I don't think that's that bad.

I once studied the co-efficient system because I suspected that the small countries were again getting horsed. In fact it is a very fair system and I thought it was a good indicator of relative performances over five years. What has happened with Romania though has thrown up a weakness in the system. Because they have had their three biggest clubs *alone* in Europe, and all in the UEFA Cup to boot, they scored very highly...their clubs did well but usually they would have at least one other club dragging the average down. I've no idea why they had only three clubs. Whatever...it has worked well for them to Scotland's (and that means Rangers) detriment.

How is the Romania league in 5th place.

I would say Rapid and Steaua. I'm guessing their clubs have done quite well in the Uefa Cup. /looks. Add Dinamo to that.

I would say Rapid and Steaua. I'm guessing their clubs have done quite well in the Uefa Cup. /looks. Add Dinamo to that.

Shows that you two have not read the thread. :)

Romania have for some reason only had three teams entering and all in the UEFA Cup...while they have done well Romania have taken advantage in an anomaly in the system (not saying deliberately).

Shows that you two have not read the thread. :)

Romania have for some reason only had three teams entering and all in the UEFA Cup...while they have done well Romania have taken advantage in an anomaly in the system (not saying deliberately).

So, I was right then ;)