Barry Ferguson

He was that World Class he climbed the dizzy heights of Blackburn Rovers, he had 1 really outstanding season for us and even at that he was still no world beater, to call him World Class is a joke

and anyone who thinks he is needs checked, World Class is Zidane, Messi etc so to call him World Class is a joke.

Bottom line is if he was as good as some say he would have made it higher than a pissy Blackburn team who were well past their best.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parma 99'. Barry ripped Dino Baggio a new one! Lampard was still with West Ham and Gerrard wasn't even a regular yet at Liverpool. Barry was head and shoulders above them both at this time. If he had made a move to a better league around this time he would have became a world class player.

One of the best in Europe haha good one. He couldn't lace any of their boots, vastly overrated and a ned to boot

He might not have quite been an elite player but he did play well against some of those guys and even at times got the better of them too.. so to say that he couldn't lace their boots is a tad harsh, mate.

I seem to remember Ferguson being heavily linked with Arsenal in 2002 but he chose to stay - wasn't Arteta supposed to be his replacement? Blackburn was a bad move for hm but if he hadn't suffered that injury I have no doubt that he would have won a move to a bigger club either in England or abroad.

Best Rangers player since Gazza/Laudrup in my opinion. Could carry a poor team on his own and he shone on the biggest stages against some of the top players in Europe. Never once looked out his depth.

I know it was just a friendly but he really outclassed some of the Chelsea players in a pre-season around 2007. Remember Mourinho put his arm round him at the end and was talking to him. Would be interesting to know what he was saying. For me there were 2 great midfielders on the park that day and they were Lampard and Ferguson.

I don't know how many times the first thing I said to my dad after a match was " How good was Ferguson?"

Absolute class act.

Parma 99'. Barry ripped Dino Baggio a new one! Lampard was still with West Ham and Gerrard wasn't even a regular yet at Liverpool. Barry was head and shoulders above them both at this time. If he had made a move to a better league around this time he would have became a world class player.

:lol:

So one game defines a player.

Marshal at the tims played like Buffon against Barca...therefore he was the best keeper in Europe.

You hear some amount of shite on here.

Ferguson was the best in Scotland but he could never lace the boots of guys like Lampard or Gerrard.

Possibly the best Scottish player produced in the last 30 years, while I don't doubt the players around himw helped him massively I also feel Fergie could have played that deep sitting role with any top club in Europe and he wouldn't have looked ouy of place

had he been the player some say he was I'm sure he would have got that move.

had he been the player some say he was I'm sure he would have got that move.

He'd have won the world cup and paraded the CL about Glasgow if he was as good as a few posters on here seem to think he was.

He was a talented young footballer who grew to become the best midfielder in Scotland. He was the best product this country has produced along with Darren Fletcher in the past 20 odd years.

He was never among the best in Europe however, if he was then you would see big clubs chase him...as it was after his best season at the club it was only Blackburn Rovers who took a punt on him.

That itself tells you everything you need to know.

He set our Club back ten years? :lol: fb

How did you work that one out? Did he introduce C white to Rangers?

Please tell.

I believe, and it's only my opinion, that if PLG has been allowed a long run at Rangers then the club would have made massive strides over the last years since he left. A football club ought to be mostly about what happens on the pitch not the boardroom or the city.

I believe the football product would have been light years ahead of where we are now if he had stayed. Ferguson was in no small way responsible for that not happening.

Barry Ferguson 1998-2000. Would gave walked into any team in Europe apart from maybe a select few.

Barry Ferguson 2002-2003. Would have walked into any team in Britain.

Barry Ferguson after his injury at Blackburn was never the same player. The arsehole that called him a ned and an embarrassment to Rangers though? Away you go and stop talking out your hole. Some of the shite he says in the papers these days is an embarrassment, but he was a brilliant player overall for Rangers.

I think he benefitted hugely from the calibre of player we had during his first spell (Albertz, van bronckhurst, de Boer, Mols, reyna, tugay, mccann etc and many others of that era). My dates of these players may be a bit off before I'm shot down, but ultimately I think this allowed Ferguson to trust the players around him and to be as offensive as he was. I don't think the quality of player we had during his second spell matched that and I felt he tried to do too much on the park to compensate for others inadequacies. Unfortunately this inhibited the way he played and we played and we needed a change at the time, albeit it came about in a way we would rather it didn't . Maybe his injury played a role as well but he wasnt the same player he once was. Great player for rangers overall though and provided many a happy memory

Perhaps many are comparing him to what we've seen over the last few years in which case he would be world class in comaparative terms.

Yes he was a cracking player but not world class. Gazza and laudrup despite being two of the most gifted players I've ever seen at ibrox probably struggle to be in the world class bracket and they are without a doubt better.

Possibly one of the best homegrown talents we've seen but some folk need to take off those rose tinted specs......he's no Ryan sinnamon after all(!)

I believe, and it's only my opinion, that if PLG has been allowed a long run at Rangers then the club would have made massive strides over the last years since he left. A football club ought to be mostly about what happens on the pitch not the boardroom or the city.

I believe the football product would have been light years ahead of where we are now if he had stayed. Ferguson was in no small way responsible for that not happening.

I don't really buy this to be honest, at the time I was a big advocate of PLG and wasn't happy with Ferguson and his clique but what happened to us was never going to be altered, whether LeGuen stayed or not the recession was still going to fuck David Murray, Murray was still going to sell to Whyte and we would have still got fucked over anyway, the difference being with PLG we most likely wouldn't have got to the Europa League Final in 2008 - we were lightyears away from that kind of achievement when PLG left in January 2007

I really don't think PLG would have transformed us enough in those years to really alter what we eventually would go through in 2012

Aye, Barry is the devils' son. You have caught him out.

:lol:

So one game defines a player.

Marshal at the tims played like Buffon against Barca...therefore he was the best keeper in Europe.

You hear some amount of shite on here.

Ferguson was the best in Scotland but he could never lace the boots of guys like Lampard or Gerrard.

I used that game as an example. Baggio was one of a few top European midfielders that Barry showed up. And I never said Barry was the best player in Europe so don't know why your using the Marshall example.

I used that game as an example. Baggio was one of a few top European midfielders that Barry showed up. And I never said Barry was the best player in Europe so don't know why your using the Marshall example.

Not every footballer plays to their level every single game.

Baggio was ten times the player Ferguson could ever be.

There's a reason the only club to want Ferguson was Blackburn Rovers, if he was as good as some make out on here that just wouldn't be the case.

A class act in Scotland but mid to lower level EPL level, that's the reality.

Not every footballer plays to their level every single game.

Baggio was ten times the player Ferguson could ever be.

There's a reason the only club to want Ferguson was Blackburn Rovers, if he was as good as some make out on here that just wouldn't be the case.

A class act in Scotland but mid to lower level EPL level, that's the reality.

In his prime he could have slotted into a top 6 team no bother