Barry Ferguson

When he broke into the team you could see straight away he was going to be a big , big player for us. He had the cockiness and skill that Scots are renown for , but at the same time , the ability of passing and using the ball in a way the continentals would have bee proud of.

It's almost as if we signed a different player the second time round , though not necessarily in a bad way. Gone were the days of the gallusness he once had , replaced by a more responsible attitude where ball retention was of the utmost importance. On one hand , a more complete footballer , on the other , it came at the price of maybe playing too safe.

Edit.

As for the captaincy , an obvious choice though as a previous poster has said , I'm not sure that he would have got more out of his players by encouraging them rather than moaning at them. But a good captain non the less.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grieg, Baxter, Cooper, McCoist...

McCoist?

Souness dropped him because he couldn't score in important games in Europe and he was right. McCoist had some of the greatest players in Europe supporting him. A great poacher who missed more than he scored and I remember both. I also remember that domestically the scum were on their erse and there was little competition. They couldn't get near us because of the bunnets' spending policy.

Not the most gifted of players, Hateley was far superior, but McCoist did have a great poachers instinct.

He sat everyone out, just like he has done in his managerial career.

We made him and he outdone himself in the end.

How many times did ferguson lose the ball or play a loose pass, even with 2 or 3 guys around him - exactly

Oh and that wasn't against part timers in the lower divisions either - you reading this black, law, hutton etc etc ...............

He was a great player even if could be a wee bit disruptive at times.

Would cost an absolute fortune nowadays

not sure if it's been posted, but this sums the guy up for me (if anyone knows how to post the image without a need for facebook, please do!)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11535687_720165004772537_6633796121427409900_n.jpg?oh=427308894475bd7e552ebd2a780565cf&oe=56297B75

For me he was the only one that seemed to have the attitude to be able to get the team over the line.If we were slacking he he would be shouting at players and dragging them forward, "No Surrender". Steven Davis was too quiet and went hiding in too many games and think wee Barry was a far better captain. I loved the wee guy but it's dissapointing to hear that he was'nt so good with fans off the park.

Why the "No Surrender"reference in relation to Steve Davis?

No wonder so many shifties get threw about. The personal abuse of Rangers captains in this place is stinking. For all that can be said of butcher, Gough Ferguson and jig. No one can take away they led Rangers and gave their all while doing so.

Very surprised how few people have mentioned his hand in the PLG debacle. Probably set the club back 10 years. That is a major charge against him in my book.

He set our Club back ten years? :lol:

How did you work that one out? Did he introduce C white to Rangers?

Please tell.

Great player. Don't think he was ever quite the same after that injury when he played for Blackburn though.

What people forget is he was doing extremely well in the PL before he suffered that injury. Certainly wasn't a journeyman as someone put it on here.

I don't agree with everything he's ever done or said but we sure do hate our own on here.