Barry Ferguson

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe, and it's only my opinion, that if PLG has been allowed a long run at Rangers then the club would have made massive strides over the last years since he left. A football club ought to be mostly about what happens on the pitch not the boardroom or the city.

I believe the football product would have been light years ahead of where we are now if he had stayed. Ferguson was in no small way responsible for that not happening.

Now we are praising Warburton because he is doing what PLG was trying to do many years ago, I have always believed Ferguson set the club back years and is a reason why I have never really liked him, I would say he should stick to writing for the papers but after his statement in the papers about the losers we let leave then it's clear to see he can't even do that properly.

I think he benefitted hugely from the calibre of player we had during his first spell (Albertz, van bronckhurst, de Boer, Mols, reyna, tugay, mccann etc and many others of that era). My dates of these players may be a bit off before I'm shot down, but ultimately I think this allowed Ferguson to trust the players around him and to be as offensive as he was. I don't think the quality of player we had during his second spell matched that and I felt he tried to do too much on the park to compensate for others inadequacies. Unfortunately this inhibited the way he played and we played and we needed a change at the time, albeit it came about in a way we would rather it didn't . Maybe his injury played a role as well but he wasnt the same player he once was. Great player for rangers overall though and provided many a happy memory

Bang-on, mate. That's exactly how I see it, as far as the on-field stuff is concerned anyway .

Now we are praising Warburton because he is doing what PLG was trying to do many years ago, I have always believed Ferguson set the club back years and is a reason why I have never really liked him, I would say he should stick to writing for the papers but after his statement in the papers about the losers we let leave then it's clear to see he can't even do that properly.

Absolutely spot on.

I believe, and it's only my opinion, that if PLG has been allowed a long run at Rangers then the club would have made massive strides over the last years since he left. A football club ought to be mostly about what happens on the pitch not the boardroom or the city.

I believe the football product would have been light years ahead of where we are now if he had stayed. Ferguson was in no small way responsible for that not happening.

Agree completely. A lost opportunity and Ferguson played a bit part in this.

Can't believe there are bears on here actually questioning Barry Ferguson's ability. Were they asleep for the whole decade he played with us??

We were lucky to have a player of his ability and should be eternally grateful he was one of us and spent most of his career with us.

His contribution to the club was colossal.

I liked him as a players but there were two things that lowered him in my estimation - on the pitch he really seemed to be negative to any youngster in the team rather than offering encouragement, I've had this discussion previously and people tell me it's because of his will to win but for me the captain has to do a wee bit more than just shout like fuck at someone.

The other downside to him was what happened with le guen - for me that could have been something that set us up for years and it seems like Ferguson was just too comfortable in his role and was very disruptive when he could have been pulling everyone together.

Was gutted when he left the first time

If le Guen had hung around, we wouldn't have won a single league title since Helicopter Sunday.

Do people have short memories, grudges against Barry Ferguson, or are they simply delusional?

Paul le Guen wasn't building anything special here; his activity in the transfer market was abysmal and we were bullied by sides like Hibs and Inverness.

It pains me when people suggest that Barry Ferguson cost us some sort of Borussia Dortmund revolution when in reality, Walter Smith picked-up the pieces of le Guen's car crash and gave us a four year period which will go down as one of the most successful times in our glorious history.

Come on now, he really isn't a 'legend'.

Ofcourse he's a fucking legend! To suggest otherwise is borderline lunacy.

Captained the club to a treble, a couple of doubles, was an important player in another treble winning team.

431 appearances for the club.

5 league titles, 5 scottish cups, 5 league cups.

A european final.

That's just fucking madness to suggest Ferguson isn't a Rangers legend.

Come on now, he really isn't a 'legend'.

He is Rangers hall of fame enductee number 68.

Some may blame him for what has happened over the last 10 years.

People such as Craig Whyte will take solace in the thought that some people don't blame them for our Clubs demise.

Captained the club to a treble, a couple of doubles, was an important player in another treble winning team.

A european final.

Maybe that was harsh. Suppose you, easily, could argue he done enough in his first spell to be regarded as a legend.

A european final.

This x 100%. (tu)(tu)(tu)(tu)(tu)

Maybe that was harsh. Suppose you, easily, could argue he done enough in his first spell to be regarded as a legend.

He done more than enough in both spells. Granted his first spell pre-injury was a lot better.

But if Gascoigne is a legend, let me tell you something Ferguson definitely a Rangers legend.

If le Guen had hung around, we wouldn't have won a single league title since Helicopter Sunday.

Do people have short memories, grudges against Barry Ferguson, or are they simply delusional?

Paul le Guen wasn't building anything special here; his activity in the transfer market was abysmal and we were bullied by sides like Hibs and Inverness.

It pains me when people suggest that Barry Ferguson cost us some sort of Borussia Dortmund revolution when in reality, Walter Smith picked-up the pieces of le Guen's car crash and gave us a four year period which will go down as one of the most successful times in our glorious history.

It takes time and commitment all round to change a philosophy, le guen didn't get those things - no one knows how it would have worked out but for me, I would have at least preferred to try something different, when smith came back it was a return to the same old routine, short termism, old pros coming in, not developing or playing youth... Yes we won trophies but nothing was long term and that lack of planning has cost us now.

Thankfully it looks like the new board want to try and build something long term now

Le Guen went off fannying around in the Sahara when he should have been preparing for the massive job he faced. That said, he was also left completely exposed by Murray and Bain.. almost hung-out to dry. Ferguson played his part but he wasn't responsible for Le Guen's failure. If the manager had the appetite for the job and had been backed properly, it may have turned out differently.