Superior Fitness Testament To Warburton’S Modern Methods

GMac

Dutch fitness guru Raymond Verheijen - branded Alan Stubbs “a typical example of an uneducated coach, over-training and injuring his players”

The article then says Warburton isn’t the typical British football manager.

If we continue to develop as we have over the last 6 weeks a lot of teams will find us ‘unplayable’ particularly in the last half hour/ 20 minutes of games.

It would maybe explain why we've struggled to bring youth players through as well. Can't be good for players if they've been brought with the wrong training methods for 4 or 5 years.

Anyone else noticed how these young kids from England are all big powerful looking players?

Dutch fitness guru Raymond Verheijen - branded Alan Stubbs a typical example of an uneducated coach, over-training and injuring his players

The article then says Warburton isnt the typical British football manager.

If we continue to develop as we have over the last 6 weeks a lot of teams will find us unplayable particularly in the last half hour/ 20 minutes of games.

Interestingly, while Chewsey were being held (if not pumped) by Swansea last week, I thought they looked 'over trained' - heavy legged & wooden.

Maybe Hivs have got the same problem.

Interestingly, while Chewsey were being held (if not pumped) by Swansea last week, I thought they looked 'over trained' - heavy legged & wooden.

Maybe Hivs have got the same problem.

Yeah, obviously MW has got us fit but footballing fit.

I read somewhere where MW talked about Jock Wallace's 'marine training methods' and to say the least he wasn't a big advocate of that type of fitness.

I read somewhere where MW talked about Jock Wallace's 'marine training methods' and to say the least he wasn't a big advocate of that type of fitness.

An interesting one - JW's methods obviously worked in their time, but things have moved on apace since even those days.

It's now all about getting players peaking at the right time & one size no longer fits all.

An interesting one - JW's methods obviously worked in their time, but things have moved on apace since even those days.

It's now all about getting players peaking at the right time & one size no longer fits all.

Totally agree - back in JW's day the players weren't 'athletes' in the way they are now.

Back then diet was all about steak 'n eggs and being able to plough threw mud soaked parks in the middle of winter to put the opposing CF up in the air.

Now we look athletically fit ------------------------ but I still wouldn't mind having someone that could put someone up in the air if required :D

John Eustace?

Jocks training methods were as much about building character as they were about fitness. Didnt do us any harm but these were different times

Jocks training methods were as much about building character as they were about fitness. Didnt do us any harm but these were different times

There was a feeling when the Jungle Fighter took over, that we struggled at the end of games. Big Jock's outlook was that no one would beat us because of superior fitness, and made our players spew on Gullane Sands to ensure that would be the case.

Character was a separate issue for Jock. He insisted on instilling peak fitness, but he reckoned character was something that some players already had...and he was right...Greig, Doddy, Jardine, Forsyth, Jackson all had it in abundance. Others developed character over the years right enough, by playing with those who had it in spades, and proved that good character is infectious.