The Billy Boys

ElBufalo20

See, I don't know what to think about just singing the proper version.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I don't ever think the use of the word "fenian" was the problem. I think the fact that it was a proper anthem that got the whole fan base rocking was the issue, disguised behind the modern impenetrable, unquestionable concern about sectarianism.

If we changed the words so that they couldn't complain then we'd still have the anthem back, the crowd singing and there's nothing they could do about it.

Just in the same way that Simply the Best has been demonised. Fair enough there were additions but I'm sure if "F**k Buddha and Islamic State" were added nobody would complain.

I just think that in this day and age you just can't get away with anything and the nappy rippers are still trying to perpetuate the myth whenever they can that we're demon spawn because of certain songs. So if we take the "bad" words out of certain songs they'll just have to sit there and listen to us being the best fans with nothing to hide their complaint behind.

In total agreement with your first part re the fact that it was THE anthem!!

Just look at the reaction and complaints about "Penny Arcade" when we started to sing it! - anything which has us acting as one and really getting behind the team!

Anyway.."Rebel Scum" (quite appropriate in my mind actually!) instead of "Fenian Blood" would do...but it only takes 1 to sing Fenian Blood and it's all over the press and the club is in the shit again and fined thanks to us!

Never Forgive Never Forget

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It needs to come back.

I can understand those against removing "fenian" from it as an objection to the re-definition of the word but we need to acknowledge that battle, as far as the club goes, is over. When Murray and the club surrendered that ground, it was all over.

We shouldn't allow the loss of that one battle to deprive us of the best anthem in football. Fight against further manipulation, absolutely, but get the song back. Nothing else comes close.

It needs to come back.

I can understand those against removing "fenian" from it as an objection to the re-definition of the word but we need to acknowledge that battle, as far as the club goes, is over. When Murray and the club surrendered that ground, it was all over.

We shouldn't allow the loss of that one battle to deprive us of the best anthem in football. Fight against further manipulation, absolutely, but get the song back. Nothing else comes close.

That's why the club should reintroduce the version I posted with follow follow. Can sing a clean version and once it's re established can go back to normal.

What chance we got when folk can't even sing the right words to 'Follow Follow' without the silly add-ons.

Until the non-hand-wringers learn that society has moved on and the 70's aren't coming back then the Billy Boys won't be coming back any time soon.

It's strange as the bheats can sing Roll Of Honour & Boys Of The Old Brigade every game and nothing gets said but if we sing a song that's contains only one 'offensive' word there's a chance of 5 years in the slammer.

I know you work in the law but is there anything out there that says the song is 100% banned?

I've still to see any evidence of it.

The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act 2012.

There is nothing in law literally stating TBB is banned but read sections 1 to 4 of the Act and you'll see TBB will easily be included in that.

I tried to copy and paste the sections but it's a mess so you'll have to follow this link:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2012/1/section/1/enacted

The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act 2012.

There is nothing in law literally stating TBB is banned but read sections 1 to 4 of the Act and you'll see TBB will easily be included in that.

I tried to copy and paste the sections but it's a mess so you'll have to follow this link:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2012/1/section/1/enacted

• expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred;
  • threatening or offensive behaviour;
  • will also cover behaviour of players and managers;
  • applies at, on the way to or from a "regulated football match", which includes league, European and international matches involving Scottish teams;
  • "regulated football match" based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means an FBO will be available in every case.
  • also covers anywhere a match is being broadcast, except domestic property.
  • Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate relevant penalties ranging from fixed penalty notices (£40) and Community Payback Orders to an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.

Which religion does a fenian belong to?

Going by that "law" anybody at a football game who stands up and shouts at a referee should get the jail as it's "threatening" behaviour.

Prove it.

See below, have never seen anything from the club removing the part specifically about the 'billy boys' being prohibited.

Sweetheart on Rangerschat, into the history and banning of the 'Billy Boys' song. The whole article is worth a read.

http://www.rangersch...-Billy-Boys.htm

Joint Supporter/Club Statement Banning The Billy Boys Song From The Club

9 Jun 2006 08:36:49 -0700

AT the request of a cross-section of Rangers Supporters, a meeting was

held last night with Chairman, David Murray and Chief Executive, Martin

Bain to discuss what the fans can collectively do to assist the Club in

their ongoing efforts to silence the Sectarian minority who continue to

damage the Club's reputation.

A positive debate was held at Murray Park and all parties are united in

a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation

of Rangers Football Club. It was obvious from last night's meeting that

the recent fines imposed by UEFA and the associated press coverage has

been detrimental to the Club and to the individuals who genuinely

support Rangers for its football and true values.It has been agreed

between members of the Club's Board and representatives of the fan base

that in the coming weeks this joint committee will do everything in

their power to ensure that the Club does not breach the UEFA directives

and implore upon the fans that self policing among the support is key

to avoid sanctions being imposed or expulsion from European competition

altogether.

David Murray commented: "These supporters groups represented should be

applauded for coming forward in recognition of the importance of this

issue. I am delighted at the progress we made last night."Over the last

two years the Club has strived fervently under the banner of Pride over

Prejudice working with the authorities to impose indefinite and

lifetime bans. "I look forward in the coming weeks to implementing some

of the actions that were discussed.It is absolutely clear to all

concerned that all Supporters need to commit to silencing the

minority."This meeting coincidently coincided with UEFA's written

grounds for the decision rendered by the Appeal Body in relation to

Rangers two Champions League matches against Villarreal.

UEFA have issued the Club with certain directives in order to combat

sectarianism more efficiently.Firstly the Club has been 'ordered to

announce measurable targets in order to reduce sectarian behaviour

amongst its supporters'.Secondly 'to control their anti-sectarian

activities by producing comprehensive statistics that are communicated

to the public'.

Finally 'to make a public address announcement at every official

fixture, be it international or domestic, stating that any sectarian

chanting and any form of 'Billy Boys' songs is strictly prohibited.'

David Edgar of the Rangers Supporters Trust, Mark Dingwall of Follow

Follow and Jim Templeton of the Rangers Supporters Assembly jointly

agreed the following Statement:"The message now could not be clearer

that the spotlight is upon the Supporters and the Club and it is their

duty to work together to stamp out the minority who are damaging the

reputations of all those connected with Rangers Football Club."Not only

does this small minority tarnish the reputation of Rangers, but of

Scottish football and our society in general and hopefully anyone who

is interested in Scottish football will work with us in assisting to

eradicate this behaviour."

Supporter Representatives

Jim Templeton Assembly President

Alex Milree Chairman of the Scottish Alliance Delegates

Mark Dingwall Follow Follow/ Rangers Supporters Trust

James Carlin The Blue Order

Simon Leslie The Blue Order

Tam Green Lanarkshire Supporters Representative

David Edgar Rangers Supporters Trust, Media Spokesperson

Ross Blyth Fife and District supporters club representative

Malcolm McNiven Rangers Supporters Trust, Chairman

http://newsgroups.de...6/msg00033.htm

http://youtu.be/bRyMt_vE99o

I know this has been done to death in here. However with feel good factor packed stadiums think this is the perfect way to introduce it back in to Ibrox.

This is a brilliant version of the 2 greatest songs. Should be played over the tannoy before games.

Sung by John Reid of the nightcrawlers (push the feeling) and writer of many hits, i went to Crookston castle school and played in same team as John alongside Billy Davies and Dave McPherson.Highlight of that was a 3_0 victory over Tommy Coynes Lourdes.

• expressing or inciting religious, racial or other forms of hatred;
  • threatening or offensive behaviour;
  • will also cover behaviour of players and managers;
  • applies at, on the way to or from a "regulated football match", which includes league, European and international matches involving Scottish teams;
  • "regulated football match" based on football banning orders (FBO) legislation, which means an FBO will be available in every case.
  • also covers anywhere a match is being broadcast, except domestic property.
  • Covers a wide range of behaviours with appropriate relevant penalties ranging from fixed penalty notices (£40) and Community Payback Orders to an unlimited fine and 5 years in prison.

Which religion does a fenian belong to?

Going by that "law" anybody at a football game who stands up and shouts at a referee should get the jail as it's "threatening" behaviour.

Exactly, that's part of the controversy with this legislation. It's also why BotP is such a bullshit law.

They're just catch all pieces of law that are so broad people should actually challenge them through the courts, but we don't.

Fenian doesn't belong to a religious group but I think it cold be argued that it belongs to a cultural group. See sub Section 1(2) of said Act:

"The behaviour is—

(a)expressing hatred of, or stirring up hatred against, a group of persons based on their membership (or presumed membership) of—

(i)a religious group,

(ii)a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation,

(iii)a group defined by reference to a thing mentioned in subsection (4),"

It's the "perceived" bit that catches it and could cynically be argued to be included especially to catch TBB.

While it can be said that a fenian was originally a reference to an Irish republican (not a Cafflic) I'm sure the definition does go on to mention something about "especially a Catholic".

It would probably also be argued that "the man on the street, or modern connotations" of the word understand it to refer also to a Catholic.

I'm not saying I agree with this stuff but until the law is changed singing songs with the word "fenian" in them will bring a charge.