Sir David Murray.....Too Clever For Some Rangers Fans?

I've given this much thought over the last couple of years and I have came to the conclusion that no matter what SDM does, He will be backed by a section of fans who make his job easy.

He uses this power to convince fans that he has the best interests of Rangers Football Club at heart and uses his past achievements to back up his case.

Doesnt matter which way you want to look at Rangers situation (Both on and off the park) we are in crisis.......But how does SDM divert the focus of the fans off this?

1. He appoints a Manager regarded as one of the best in the World to come into a stuggling Rangers side. When the results dont come, The fans forget about how he failed to back the Manager, But focus mainly on the fact PLG isnt getting the results on the park. PLG leaves and SDM gets away with his mis-management.

2. Fans becoming disgruntled and want answers.... He makes an intelligent move in bringing Walter and Ally back to the club, which make the older supporters happy and puts two "Rangers" men in charge. The focus is once again taken off the current state Rangers are in and switches to what Walter and Ally achieved at Rangers over a decade ago....

3. We lose out on a player (Scott Brown) who's transfer was all but secured. Wouldnt release an extra £600,000 - £1,000,000 to secure his services. He realised fans would be unhappy that we lost out, So the very next day we are linked with the "World Class" Claudio Pizzaro. Attention on our decline and failure to bring in quality is once again overlooked.... as some fans forget about how we lost out on a good player and are now moving on to a player who we were never in the market for. After all SDM wouldn't mislead the fans.....

4. We lose out on player after player and fail to put in a reasonable bid for anyone these days..... Fans become concerned and start to question whats going on. SDM has a plan in place however.... He has arranged a "9inarow" game which will make fans forget about the current state we are in and start reliving our past glories. Fans become happy once more and it buys him more time.

5. Sets up glamour friendlies against Ajax and Chelsea at Ibrox. The money brought in from these matches (Added to the 9inarow money) will be enough to sign Naismith and Cueller. Yet again the fans will be mis-leaded as they think their Chairman has went into his pocket and released funds. When they couldnt be further from the truth.

You gotta hand it to him though...... Great business man, But I just aint buying it......

I've given this much thought over the last couple of years and I have came to the conclusion that no matter what SDM does, He will be backed by a section of fans who make his job easy.

And therein lies one of the main problems affecting our club.

It's more about a section of fans being led by the media and deciding themselves who Rangers should sign. Go home.

2. So you'd rather he'd appoint a nobody so the focus remained on his "mismanagement"?

3. Like I said, a case of fans deciding who Rangers should sign...

4. Yeah.. that's exactly why the game was arranged. doh

5. Rangers will make 3/4 million from those games will they?

It's more about a section of fans being led by the media and deciding themselves who Rangers should sign. Go home.

2. So you'd rather he'd appoint a nobody so the focus remained on his "mismanagement"?

3. Like I said, a case of fans deciding who Rangers should sign...

4. Yeah.. that's exactly why the game was arranged. doh

5. Rangers will make 3/4 million from those games will they?

The media has no influence what so ever on what I feel about the current situation at Rangers.

I'd rather he grew balls and appointed the right manager and backed him. If you cant see Walter and Ally was the simple solution to the problem, Then you really are blind to the truth.

The fans shouldnt decide who signs....... But we should see our money been spent on some quality and we shouldnt expect to lose out on every transfer target we have.

9 in a row game...... £12 and £4......... Would imagine it will attract 30,000 fans. Will say there will be a 2 : 1 ratio of adults to Children/consessions.

£240,000 for adults and £40,000 for children/consessions (Not taking into consideration tickets are £15 on the day, food and drink, Bar 72, half time lotto etc)

Chelsea/ajax game game is £34 combined and £19 for consessions. If Rangers attract 30,000 for both games (Going on the 2 : 1 ratio again) £1,020,000 for adults and £570,000 for children/consessions. (Yet again not including food and drink, bar 72 etc etc)

£1,870,000 just like that, based on just an attendence of just over half for all 3 games.

Rangers will probably make a lot more than this and this is probably the minimum amount they are looking at. The fans are paying for Cueller and Naismith.

Firstly, is this the same fans who moan about the lack of money, yet are the same fans that only purchased £1million worth of shares in a £50million share issue, and gave Murray no credit for buying up the other £49million.

Secondly, no-one can speculate on earnings accurately. We may make roughly your figure, but theres wages of every staff member to pay, from Barry to the tea lady and window cleaner. Add on the cost of maintenance of our wonderful stadium, that's a fair chunk of it.

I'm not a Murray backer and wish he'd get his finger out his arse on 90% of issues, but in the same way that some fans will always back him whatever he does, there's a large number that will always berate him, whatever he does.

When Enic bought 20.1% Off of SDM, They paid £31million and when he bought the shares back he only paid £8million. So SDM did'nt pay over £50million. but part of the deal was when Rangers qualified for the Champions league which we did under Mcleish!. We had to give ENIC £5.625millon so thats where our champions league money went!

Here's a link about ENIC getting over £5million

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/3604980.stm

When Enic bought 20.1% Off of SDM, They paid £31million and when he bought the shares back he only paid £8million. So SDM did'nt pay over £50million. but part of the deal was when Rangers qualified for the Champions league which we did under Mcleish!. We had to give ENIC £5.625millon so thats where our champions league money went!

Here's a link about ENIC getting over £5million

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/3604980.stm

Doesn't take away the fact that the fans were very disappointing.

Celtic done a similar thing a few years ago and their fans bought an absolute shitload more than ours did.

And therein lies one of the main problems affecting our club.

Every one is entitled to his/her opinion. While I agree Murray's interests and heart probably lie elsewhere, we are a democracy after all. Judge Murray 10 years after he has sold our proud club. (And yes, it will be there...)

Furthermore...

While almost all posters on here slag Murray -- I would challenge any of you to have the balls to do even one tenth of what this fine Scotsman has achieved. Sure, RFC is a matter close (or closest) to our hearts... but lay off the guy.

Everyone says he has no time for Rangers. Judging by the original post, he has plenty of free time to scheme and outwit a 'section' of the fans on a regular basis. C'mon -- everyone knows the score. He owns +90% of the club and can do what he damn well pleases. And I sincerely doubt he would want part of his business empire in ruins? Hardly.

Just starting to get tired of the BS that published on here about SDM and Bain. But I do respect the fact that it's just about opiniions....

What about a seperate dedicated thread where the SDM bashers can get it off their chests?

Then there'd be no need to pontificate to us who aren't interested in running the chap down.

The 'wake up and smell the coffee' hardsell is becoming rife & tedious. :7996:

OOPS! This is that thread :lol:

WATP

What about a seperate dedicated thread where the SDM bashers can get it off their chests?

Then there'd be no need to pontificate to us who aren't interested in running the chap down.

The 'wake up and smell the coffee' hardsell is becoming rife & tedious. :7996:

OOPS! This is that thread :lol:

WATP

Who is the running the chap down ?

Or am I entering the territory of those who RFC described in his opening line...

that no matter what SDM does, He will be backed by a section of fans who make his job easy.

Given the poor financial judgment SDM has shown - the consequences of which we are still suffering today - is it not perfectly understandable that some certainly cautious regarding their judgment on him.

And Papaguy...

Firstly, is this the same fans who moan about the lack of money, yet are the same fans that only purchased £1million worth of shares in a £50million share issue, and gave Murray no credit for buying up the other £49million.

Obviously you and I have different perspectives on this. I was certainly not prepared to shell out to further enhance my shareholding - to cover the debt incurred by the financial mismanagement of a guy reputed to be worth over £660 million.

Secondly, no-one can speculate on earnings accurately. We may make roughly your figure, but theres wages of every staff member to pay, from Barry to the tea lady and window cleaner. Add on the cost of maintenance of our wonderful stadium, that's a fair chunk of it.

I'm not a Murray backer and wish he'd get his finger out his arse on 90% of issues, but in the same way that some fans will always back him whatever he does, there's a large number that will always berate him, whatever he does.

I spent a lot of time in a previous thread explaining why the fans (both ordinary and high net worth) didn't subscribe to the share issue you mention.

It's simply wrong to suggest we are somehow disloyal for not trusting a man who had already mismanaged our money (and 3 very high profile investors - ENIC, Joe Lewis and Dave King). Moreover, Murray didn't buy up the other £49million. His company (of which he only owns ~80%) underwrote the issue because it was the only business decision they could come to because of the money Rangers were losing on interest to bank loans. Surely it was only right David Murray corrected his own financial mistakes - why should we have bailed him out?

You are right that some fans criticise the guy too much but there's no doubt the mistakes SDM has made and it saddens me when some fans want to try and absolve him of any blame while criticising their own for being wary.

Doesnt matter which way you want to look at Rangers situation (Both on and off the park) we are in crisis.......

Untrue.

I think you need to re-evaluate the word crisis.

We were probably something near crisis during the McLelland era. Not now.

Financially we may not be in crisis but in terms of success on the park 2 years without a trophy or even competing in any sort of final is certainly very worrying and completely unacceptable.

Let's not get caught up in semantics.

Ok! lets move the debate on a little who, whom, or what do we replace SDM with ?

A much more difficult question to answer.

But there are people interested. It's just a case of finding the correct person(s) to fill the position. I'd like to see a consortium of like-minded high net worth Rangers businessmen (there are several) buy the club and appointa wide-ranging executive board made up of these people along with a genuine contribution from the support.

Like I say, not easy to facilitate but not impossible either.

Everyone says he has no time for Rangers. Judging by the original post, he has plenty of free time to scheme and outwit a 'section' of the fans on a regular basis. C'mon -- everyone knows the score. He owns +90% of the club and can do what he damn well pleases. And I sincerely doubt he would want part of his business empire in ruins? Hardly.

Just starting to get tired of the BS that published on here about SDM and Bain.

I agree. You see some ridiculous stuff on here about Murray running schemes with the sole purpose of deceiving the fans. No logic in it at all. Saying that, I'd like to see him go.