small squad not possible at rangers

MacBoyd

30 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

I understand why mark wanted it but we are everyone's cup final and we get do many injuries as a result. Having that bench yesterday was terrible. I hope the manager understands this and sorts it for next year

Having a small squad means you gain in some areas lose out in others. MW obviously prefers a lean squad as it benefits player moral. He'll obviously know this comes with its own risks - injuries etc. Last year we couldn't really do too much about our lean squad, it was forced on us due to time and finances. I'd rather a lean squad than a top heavy one. Some of the fringe players brought in last summer were obviously not good enough, had we brought in more new players back then I would have expected those new players to be on the same level of dross as our current bench.

My glass is still half full. Last close season was not optimum for MW. Im hoping he and MacP have now had greater time to identify superior targets. Despite the utter dross we witnessed yesterday I still think that team/squad is about 4 or 5 players away from being quite good by Scottish standards.

14 minutes ago, Da Kool Blue said:

I don't think it's necessarily the size of the squad, it's more the quality. Outside of the starting 11, we really don't have anyone we could bring on to change a game. 

Exactly, we have to remember we have only had two windows and he has still brought in around 16 players.

It can work so long as you have quality on the bench. If not for cup ties, we would have had two quality players in King and MOH on the bench.

in reality, rather than a bigger squad, we need better quality

1 hour ago, j1mgg said:

Definitely quality we are lacking.

Been noticeable all season that the subs we bring on when our first starting 11 are chosen, make no difference to a game; usually more a detriment .

O'Halloran and Forrester are the only two quality subs we could have had yesterday had they been eligible, include the 3 signings we have have made this summer 2 of whom (Crooks and Rossiter) I expect to take Halliday and Zelalems place we then have 4 decent quality subs. Hopefully sign another striker, left wing, centre mid, couple of centre halves and full back cover then we have 10 quality back ups and those are all signings Warburton has said he wants especially the Striker, centre mid and centre back. 

13 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

we had King O'Halloran and Forrester out yesterday three players who would have been pushing for a start although I agree our depth is woeful

And I don't think these three are anything special, and not the type of players that will win us the league.

2 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

And I don't think these three are anything special, and not the type of players that will win us the league.

You are mad if you don't think Forrester has it, him and Miller were carrying us until he got injured. O'Halloran will be an entirely different player next season.

7 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

King won't be with us next year and I agree about O'Halloran think he is pretty poor tbh but Harry has what it takes no doubt about it

1 hour ago, Da Kool Blue said:

I don't think it's necessarily the size of the squad, it's more the quality. Outside of the starting 11, we really don't have anyone we could bring on to change a game. 

Nobody came in that could play in all the games and it appears that quite a few put their tools away after the mhanky mob game. Bitterly Disappointing end of season