Corners

Could it be that we are that bad at defending on them because they aren't practiced at training?

It's just a thought but we all know Warburton prefers the short corner so maybe that's all we are working on to try and perfect them instead of actually working on how teams will take them against us.

It can't just be a coincidence that the one thing we rarely do ourselves when we attack also happens to be the thing we are worst at defensively. Can it?

Just now, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Could it be that we are that bad at defending on them because they aren't practiced at training?

It's just a thought but we all know Warburton prefers the short corner so maybe that's all we are working on to try and perfect them instead of actually working on how teams will take them against us.

It can't just be a coincidence that the one thing we rarely do ourselves when we attack also happens to be the thing we are worst at defensively. Can it?

Started a topic on this a few weeks back because I'm not sure you can get better at defending aerial corners unless you are up against a team that are good at them and we are good at neither of these.

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Surely he must practice defending long corners. If not then both him and DW need a boot up the arse. I would be of the opinion that our man marking is just horrendous, and we have zero presence in the air. If you watch Dembele first goal, he's completely unmarked, and when Kiernan went do attack it, it was like someone had just booted a rag doll into the air arse first. I reckon we could spend an entire week practicing them and still be shite. 

4 minutes ago, ex-guardsman said:

@Godfather summed it up perfect on match thread "every corner feels like a penalty". 

That's true, I said that myself on another thread today too.

There was a point in the 2nd half today when Kiernan tackled one of their players, I can't remember who, but the ball went out and we thought the ref had gave a corner. I actually celebrated when I realised a goal kick had been given. That's how bad it's become.

Celebrating getting a fucking goal kick :power_of_anguish:

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

That's true, I said that myself on another thread today too.

There was a point in the 2nd half today when Kiernan tackled one of their players, I can't remember who, but the ball went out and we thought the ref had gave a corner. I actually celebrated when I realised a goal kick had been given. That's how bad it's become.

Celebrating getting a fucking goal kick :power_of_anguish:

Even as far to say I watch corners through my hands now but its been like that since last season so should have been no1 priority getting 2 solid CB in not fucking retired grass kickers.

10 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Nope. All four central defenders are dross.

The only way we can improve in defending corners, is not to give any away.

1 minute ago, ex-guardsman said:

Even as far to say I watch corners through my hands now but its been like that since last season so should have been no1 priority getting 2 solid CB in not fucking retired grass kickers.

I was the same today for their first goal and the same when Hibs got the corner at the end of the final.

You know it's coming because there's zero confidence in our ability to clear the danger.

16 minutes ago, ex-guardsman said:

We had plenty of warnings before the cup final (such as their first in the semi final and numerous league games) but the final should have made finding solid centre backs the priority this summer. Surely to fuck they know this after our start to the season but I fear January will be too late.

In saying that I'd seriously consider bougherra coming in because whilst he had moments of shit your pants play most of them involved him bombing up the park on an Amoruso-esque charge.

3 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I've been thinking this for months, but how do you practice defending corners when your forwards are all under 6 ft 5" tall?, 

Moussa Dembele is under 6 ft 5 as is David Gray of Hibs.

You don't have to be a giant to win a header.

7 minutes ago, 50ShadesofBlue said:

Teams should just play for corners against us. 

Shocking state of affairs that we can't header a ball clear. 

I dread to think what the score line would be if a team actually took that approach against us.

5 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Aye I know mate, it just depresses the fuck out of me, every time we give away a corner I just go "oh fuck".

I know what you mean mate. It's frustrating as fuck to watch because you know what's coming.

We need to start with the basics of defensive corners, get your two nominated men, one onto each post, the number of times a ball drops into the goal near to the posts is a high percentage, today being an example. Yet still managers prefer not to put a man on each post, by not doing it gives an unguarded area for the attacker to aim for.  It also gives the goalkeeper an extra area to cover rather than let him concentrate on possibly coming and clearing the ball. Once you've got that sorted get your man marking sorted, decide beforehand who is marking who and stick with it throughout the game, anyone who is not needed to mark someone can block a run by an attacker if needed.

I understand probably both Mark Warburton and Davie Weir will have forgotten more about defensive tactics than I'll ever know but they must see the obvious, that we are not matching attackers movements at corners, we are starting our defensive movements too late and by doing so the other teams are getting the advantage.

I am surprised at our defensive frailties, that is one area I thought that we would be strong in when we  brought in Davie Weir as coach,  something's going wrong coaching wise in that area and it needs to be addressed sooner than later.