Warburton on youth

King_gazza

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Because the last lot of managers and boards have failed us badly when it comes to getting young players into the team. 

That's in the past it's time to get it right, he's half way through his 3 year plan and I don't see many future prospects from Auchenhowie banging on the door. 

So AM, and Walter did a pish job of it. Wont put PLG in there as not there long enough to make any difference.I take it that's what you are saying.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should look at what happened to the likes of Danny Wilson, Feruz etc. These guys had huge potential before moving down south at such a young age & then having it come to a stop with the lack of proper 1st team football.

At a young age it should all be about progression rather than trying to earn a fast buck.

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Exactly, so his academy run his way and with his men scouting and coaching there  should be players ready for that heat in 18 months. 

I wont hold my breath. 

:lol: 18 months - so taking players at 17 and a half, the should be good to go by the time they are 19 for example? 

Youth development is about giving a player the fundementals and structure within an environment to realise their potential throughout their development process. Changes made now will only really be seen once a youth player goes through that cycle - e.g. from 10 to 18. 

Your looking at the best part of a decade before we can really judge the success of it. 

Some very unrealistic posts on here. I am looking at 5 years before we see a youth coming through as the quality has to be found, nurtured and highish level football experience gained. 1 a year would be my expectation but we still have 2 to 3 years minimum before I would expect the youth to be breaking through. It would be nice if the Rangers support was more supportive of youth coming through but that may be part of the prep that is needed so the youth is not taking the unrealistic criticism by fans to heart.

2 hours ago, sammy cox said:

So AM, and Walter did a pish job of it. Wont put PLG in there as not there long enough to make any difference.I take it that's what you are saying.

Both of them and their boards at the time. 

What have we to see for all those years, Barry Ferguson, Alan Hutton not sure if McGregor came right through the youth programme. The rest all faded away  

Thats a terrible return. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

:lol: 18 months - so taking players at 17 and a half, the should be good to go by the time they are 19 for example? 

Youth development is about giving a player the fundementals and structure within an environment to realise their potential throughout their development process. Changes made now will only really be seen once a youth player goes through that cycle - e.g. from 10 to 18. 

Your looking at the best part of a decade before we can really judge the success of it. 

If he's good enough to be a Rangers at 17 he's either been there from a young age and should be about 18 months away from challenging for a first team place. 

If he was signed at 17 then he's a good young player and 18 months of further coaching he should be challenging for a first team place. 

As for claim about fundamentals if you've not got the fundamentals right by 17 you never will, these boys have been playing organised properly coached football since they were 4/5 yeas of age. 

15 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Both of them and their boards at the time. 

What have we to see for all those years, Barry Ferguson, Alan Hutton not sure if McGregor came right through the youth programme. The rest all faded away  

Thats a terrible return. 

Just out of curiosity in what way do you think the board/s were to blame for the lack of a proper youth development set up.After all the board/s had spent millions on setting up what was Murray Park but just curious.

We've had a number of players who came through the ranks and went on to do well for themselves elsewhere or were sold on at a decent profit. That's the nature of bringing young players through, they won't always make it at the club they've been with as a youth but that doesn't mean there's been a failure anywhere. Ross McCormick for example went on to be sold at a Scottish record transfer fee iirc. Unfortunately we never got it but does that mean we somehow failed in his development? I'd say no, he just required going to a lesser club to improve as a player, something that wouldn't be possible at Rangers given our expectations. 

1 minute ago, sammy cox said:

Just out of curiosity in what way do you think the board/s were to blame for the lack of a proper youth development set up.After all the board/s had spent millions on setting up what was Murray Park but just curious.

They run the club, they should be telling the manager he needs to get his finger out when it comes to a return from those millions they spent on Auchenhowie. 

Instead they let things stay as or even get worse and lauded Ferguson as proof Auchenhowie was a success. While giving the manager millions to spend, instead of that 4th or 5th foreigner coming in season after season maybe the board should've said enough start finding the best we have to offer at home and make them better. 

Just out of curiosity do you think Auchenhowie has been a success at what it was built for and remember it was never meant to be just a training ground for the first team ? It was actually meant to be a stand alone enterprise that could fund itself with all the talent it was going to produce. 

1 hour ago, King_gazza said:

He should look at what happened to the likes of Danny Wilson, Feruz etc. These guys had huge potential before moving down south at such a young age & then having it come to a stop with the lack of proper 1st team football.

At a young age it should all be about progression rather than trying to earn a fast buck.

If I was MW I would speak with Gilmour in my office with Danny there and say. Danny if you could go back to an 18yo what would you do differently. Hopefully that will make the young lad see he can do a world class apprenticeship here and leave with 100 odd games under his belt, and hopefully European experience.  if clubs want him now they will still want him when he is a more experienced players. I think atm MW is blooming youngsters in well. Burt will get more game time but in the right games, at our club is could be very easy for a youngster to be thrown in early and could possibly have a negative impact. he has to drive the players to get that start, not just give them it because they tick boxes

6 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

They run the club, they should be telling the manager he needs to get his finger out when it comes to a return from those millions they spent on Auchenhowie. 

Instead they let things stay as or even get worse and lauded Ferguson as proof Auchenhowie was a success. While giving the manager millions to spend, instead of that 4th or 5th foreigner coming in season after season maybe the board should've said enough start finding the best we have to offer at home and make them better. 

Just out of curiosity do you think Auchenhowie has been a success at what it was built for and remember it was never meant to be just a training ground for the first team ? It was actually meant to be a stand alone enterprise that could fund itself with all the talent it was going to produce. 

I don't think for one minute that Auchenhowie has been anywhere near successful and I would doubt most Rangers fans would think otherwise. As a few of my mates have said in the past,nothing more than a glorified training ground.

So you think that the current board should not follow in the foot steps of previous boards and not give the manager millions to spend on those 4th and 5th players coming in season after season.So at the same time do you also think that those on here who on a daily basis talk about " needing investment " which I think we all know is give the manager money to spend are barking up the wrong tree as well,after all they are advocating the very thing you have pointed out as failings of previous boards.

25 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

I don't think for one minute that Auchenhowie has been anywhere near successful and I would doubt most Rangers fans would think otherwise. As a few of my mates have said in the past,nothing more than a glorified training ground.

So you think that the current board should not follow in the foot steps of previous boards and not give the manager millions to spend on those 4th and 5th players coming in season after season.So at the same time do you also think that those on here who on a daily basis talk about " needing investment " which I think we all know is give the manager money to spend are barking up the wrong tree as well,after all they are advocating the very thing you have pointed out as failings of previous boards.

Yes money should be spent, but I would rather 2/3 players bought for 10mill and the best we have at Auchenhowie getting a chance than 4/5 journey men and the best we have fading away into the background again. 

Warburton himself has said they young players need to see a way into the first team, well so far the young players must be asking what this way is. He's also said if a young player can't see a way forward at Rangers they won't come to us, I know I wouldn't let any boy of mine sign for us as things stand it's a road to nowhere. 

As Ive said already time will tell if the club are serious about actually coaching our own into good pro's for Rangers or if it's just more sound bite pish that we have had to swallow for years. 

14 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Yes money should be spent, but I would rather 2/3 players bought for 10mill and the best we have at Auchenhowie getting a chance than 4/5 journey men and the best we have fading away into the background again. 

Warburton himself has said they young players need to see a way into the first team, well so far the young players must be asking what this way is. He's also said if a young player can't see a way forward at Rangers they won't come to us, I know I wouldn't let any boy of mine sign for us as things stand it's a road to nowhere. 

As Ive said already time will tell if the club are serious about actually coaching our own into good pro's for Rangers or if it's just more sound bite pish that we have had to swallow for years. 

I agree with most of what you have said.Our development policy has been a joke for years and not just when Ally was there but Walter has to shoulder a lot of the blame as well for he was only to happy to spend and to be honest the majority of supporters didn't care either as long as the team were winning.Unfortunately when your only youth development policy is to let other teams scout,develop,train,take the risks and then go in with the big Rangers cheque book you leave yourself wide open for what eventually happened. I agree on your point about MW saying young players have to see a route to the first team so I will give him time to prove that.It will be interesting to see what he does about a certain individuals contract which is due up soon.This will give us an insight as to where he stands with regards to young players getting a chance or not.

1 hour ago, kyleh1872 said:

If I was MW I would speak with Gilmour in my office with Danny there and say. Danny if you could go back to an 18yo what would you do differently. Hopefully that will make the young lad see he can do a world class apprenticeship here and leave with 100 odd games under his belt, and hopefully European experience.  if clubs want him now they will still want him when he is a more experienced players. I think atm MW is blooming youngsters in well. Burt will get more game time but in the right games, at our club is could be very easy for a youngster to be thrown in early and could possibly have a negative impact. he has to drive the players to get that start, not just give them it because they tick boxes

Agree 100%. I'm pretty certain Wilson's last game for us was the 1-1 draw against the scum at the beggerdome when Jig scored the header from the corner. He was progressing well with us with Davie Weir playing beside him. I'm sure if Wilson could roll back the years to the day he got offered to move to Liverpool he would reject them.

Fingers crossed we can keep the core of our younger talented players, unfortunately money talks these days.

On 14 December 2016 at 2:37 PM, j1mgg said:

What use is it giving a player 5 mins at the end of a game. If we want these youngsters to progress, we need to be giving them 25mins plus in first team games.

First and foremost we need to win games. Secondly they need to be good enough.  It isn't Warburtons fault at this time if they are not. Zelalem and Dodoo imho lacked and lack physicality for this league  but will likely turn out to be very good players as they progress physically. 

On 12/14/2016 at 9:37 AM, Badger said:

We could focus completely on youth, bring in the best coaches, etc..... they would still need longer than 18mths to turn a neglected, shambolic, system into one that bears fruit.

The last time we actually had a system of note was under Advocaat, and no surprise 4-5-6yrs later we had a crop of Adam, Hutton, MacGregor, etc come through.

It will be 4 or 5 years before you can fairly judge changes implimented by Warburton.

That's not good enough for the impatient fuckers on here, though. Immediate success or Warburton's a useless failure :wink: