has a Rangers manager ever survived

RFC55

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

It's a good question, and last night I even implied that you may be right, and I may be wrong- my record of late when it comes to players etc suggests it more likely that you are right! I've had a turn in my thinking regarding the other points you have made. I thought we should be patient, go down the Auchenhowie route, and pick of a bargain. I don't think that now, and you clarify my own thoughts quite well about why I don't.

Shouldn't doubt yourself mate I'm a fool really i just don't buy hype good or bad on a whim just call it like I see it rather than being positive because it's easier. 

I appreciate they comments mate but they don't give me any satisfaction 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Shouldn't doubt yourself mate I'm a fool really i just don't buy hype good or bad on a whim just call it like I see it rather than being positive because it's easier. 

I appreciate they comments mate but they don't give me any satisfaction 

We need to invest, we both agree on that, and that is good common ground because we are not suggesting reckless spending, but that there is a risk if we don't invest we may even lose revenue. I'd be surprised if Warburton doesn't have players in mind that he would sign if he had the ability to do so; I don't mean players way off the radar, but just players that he thinks could do it here for a fairly reasonable value. Hopefully he gets the means to do something like that, and starting in this window.

12 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Your missing the point - I've said loads I didn't rate McLeish as a manager but I put the context in there about him steadying the ship taking over from Advocaat - which he did 

when it came to pushing on from that he had mixed success

not my favourite manager by a long shot 

I'd like to know what you mean exactly by "steadying the ship"?? Because the fact is whether we like it or not, we are where our budget dictates we should be and that is 2nd so there is no ship to be steadied. So unless you are advocating McLeish for the long term (which you aren't) then I really don't see your point at all. 

1 hour ago, JograBear said:

Has the club ever been in such a poor financial position relative to its competition?

There are a couple of last minute wins in that period.

If not struggling, we're certainly scraping by.

Edit - dunno what happened there - I was replying to Turnberry!?

4 minutes ago, HG5 said:

There are a couple of last minute wins in that period.

If not struggling, we're certainly scraping by.

Edit - dunno what happened there - I was replying to Turnberry!?

I'm trying to be realistic about this current squad; I don't rate the midfield much, and think the manager needs the funds to strengthen it; not with the kind of speculative signings of the summer, but with players of pedigree. This being a thread about Warburton, I don't think he solely should take the full responsibility of where we are as a team this season. More or less we have much the same team as last season, and that was one that didn't have it entirely its own way in the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm trying to be realistic about this current squad; I don't rate the midfield much, and think the manager needs the funds to strengthen it; not with the kind of speculative signings of the summer, but with players of pedigree. This being a thread about Warburton, I don't think he solely should take the full responsibility of where we are as a team this season. More or less we have much the same team as last season, and that was one that didn't have it entirely its own way in the Championship.

Dead on with that mate?

Warburton will "survive" another season if we attain 2nd place and European football (Which is the target of this season).

After that, it's completely up to King whether he follows through on his own words (I personally don't see it happening).

That quote from King:

“The overall requirement as we advance to the Premiership (promotion this season is essential, and more importantly Europe) is we will need a better quality in players.

How much we will have to spend at that time will depend on development and how successful Mark has been.

I would still say that £30m is a number that still makes sense to me.”

You see a lot of people time and time again suggesting what he actually meant with his £30m figure was more of an overall investment, across multiple years on everything, not just players.

However, when you take that comment at face value, he's mentioning players and the better quality we need - nothing else.

He says how much we will spend is dependant on how Warburton and the team are doing (and how much we've developed) when we get European football. It seems he expected / wanted us to attain European football from winning the Scottish Cup. He suggests regardless, to him, £30m is an amount he thinks makes sense for spending on the quality of players needed for European football and winning the league.

At this very moment though, I don't think we're doing as well as we the fans (or King himself) hoped, given his comments at the AGM.

How can we be wrong for thinking that the moment we get 2nd place this season and European football, we'll finally see the serious investment on quality players we need? 

One telling thing for me was his other AGM comments about us outperforming our budget and winning the league à la Leicester - that suggests to me that he doesn't plan on investing anywhere near as much as he previously suggested and thinks we can achieve it on a much smaller budget. 

Now, I don't personally think we'd need £30m on players alone, but I think we do need a serious investment on players of high quality to win the league and get somewhere decent in Europe after that. There's no excuse for King at that point in my opinion.

I expect Warburton to have us sitting in 2nd place at the end of the season and in the European qualifiers. I then expect King to invest on the quality players that will win us the league next season and get us somewhere in Europe.

I also expect to severely disappointed.

22 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

We agree that the team needs investment. Setting that aside I would say we are building the foundations to a youth/scouting/coaching set up that makes the best of Auchenhowie. That is crucially important to the playing side eventually.

problem is that foundations mean heehaw if there is nothing to go on top of them, in the 18 months he has been here warburton hasnt seen one single solitary young player at ibrox worthy of promotion to the first team squad on a permanent basis, a few have came in for the odd 20mins but have either been shunted back to the arse end of the reserves or punted out on loan with pretty much no hope of featuring for us

surely by this point (and yes its still quite early in the grand scheme of things) we'd have seen SOME form of progression, for example andy murdoch, came in under mccall, looked actually not too bad in terms of energy, determination etc, deemed not good enough by warburton who lets him go while we have two guys who play in his position sitting keeping our physio in well paid overtime

barrie mckay has shown that no matter how shite the team you have been in for a couple of years, talent will still shine through, so id say either warburton cannot see the talent we have in the unders or we have absolutely nothing of note in the unders which is more of a concern because they have spent 18months under a new regime which is supposed to be modeled round what we expect from the first team players, surely to fuck we have someone in there to give us something to hope for (i could use gilmour here i suppose but he is way too young for what we need right now)

6 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

problem is that foundations mean heehaw if there is nothing to go on top of them, in the 18 months he has been here warburton hasnt seen one single solitary young player at ibrox worthy of promotion to the first team squad on a permanent basis, a few have came in for the odd 20mins but have either been shunted back to the arse end of the reserves or punted out on loan with pretty much no hope of featuring for us

surely by this point (and yes its still quite early in the grand scheme of things) we'd have seen SOME form of progression, for example andy murdoch, came in under mccall, looked actually not too bad in terms of energy, determination etc, deemed not good enough by warburton who lets him go while we have two guys who play in his position sitting keeping our physio in well paid overtime

barrie mckay has shown that no matter how shite the team you have been in for a couple of years, talent will still shine through, so id say either warburton cannot see the talent we have in the unders or we have absolutely nothing of note in the unders which is more of a concern because they have spent 18months under a new regime which is supposed to be modeled round what we expect from the first team players, surely to fuck we have someone in there to give us something to hope for (i could use gilmour here i suppose but he is way too young for what we need right now)

This is only my opinion, but I think Warburton has raised a bar of what he wants a young player to be when he comes to play for the first team; he was even unwilling to give them a customary place on the bench to make up the numbers, because they had to be good enough, It's only my thoughts, so I can't really defend the issue, but I think we will see  movement in that area in the next season or two. I like Burt and McCrorie, the young right back; I thought he was really good when I saw him. I'd be surprised if those two didn't make some sort of impact before too long. And your right, we can't rely on this alone.

On 01/01/2017 at 4:45 PM, Bristoe1872 said:

I said in another thread that o can't see us taking anything from Savco this season because quite simply i think Brenda has Warburton on toast. With a potential SC game that would be six defeats to them. Six defeats and Savco winning a treble would be enough to see any Rangers manager punted never mind possibly finishing twenty plus points behind. I don't see why Warburton is any different. And if the board don't act then it confirms them to be the spineless bridge builders i already think them to be.

Good post there . Warbs is only getting away with it because its our first season back ..next season will be a whole different ball game and if we have any chance of beating savco then D.King needs to put some serious money into the team . Question is can Warbs be trusted in the transfer market ...i just dont think so at the moment . 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Rfc52 said:

Aye it's no even a thread for me to have a go at him or that. I just don't understand why Ally and PLG got absolute dogs abuse yet this seems to be accepted. I know on here theres voices of discontent but there's nothing in the media, no ex players or managers moaning. It just seems a really weird situation compared to how others have been slaughtered 

you can't take this season in isolation. For instance leguen & mcoist took over successful teams whereas Warburton came in after the whole demotion fiasco and a disaster in the championship and years of neglect across the whole club not just the team. He needs time, patience and investment. That's why there is no real outcry.