has a Rangers manager ever survived

RFC55

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is MW getting an easier ride (when we are 19/22 points adrift of the scum)  .... compared to past managers? 

Many do not want to admit that this board are responsible for the underfunding of the manager (reasons are debatable depending on your views) this season.

Plus those who have accepted this status, continue to let him off fairly lightly due to the fact that he is only following the board's instructions (due to the discrepancy of funds), to hopefully attain a cup and European spot for next season.

All the training, coaching, motivation, man management skills, and fucking learning in the world, will be of no good whatsoever unless the talent is there in the first place (which it sadly isn't) ...... as in the modern game, to be able to out pace your opponents it takes the proper amount of funds to do this realistically.

Personally I am still for MW ..... but without the correct tools (funds = players), to achieve the number one spot  he will be hard pressed to achieve this ..... even the late great  Bill Struth would find this to be the case and (along with others) would struggle also. 

If MW is here next season he will not get off so lightly regardless of who sits on the board .... such is the nature of the game ..... to get rid of the manager but not solve the real problem ..... financial backing .... the sad reality of modern success.

MW is responsible for some of his signings being of no value .... that I freely admit ... but with low funds you get low standards ..... Funding is King (pun intended). 

:UK:

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

i agree about making changes, however id also argue how do you change it, our system yesterday was a 352, hodson as a wingback (if brought on) isnt anywhere near as attacking as tav is (even if he is brutal at defending), fact is we just dont have the ability in reserve to change personnel, change the system maybe but our whole squad has deficiencies and tbh any system we play will have a weak point or a flaw to be exploited

Hodson straight swap for Tav or put Hodson on for Holt and move  Tav forward one.

He could also have went to a 4-5-1.

5 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

As someone said a few weeks ago on here with the exception of 3/4 players this squad is full of hearts Aberdeen etc standard of player

What standard are the 3/4 players at?

Dunfermline? :digging:

2 minutes ago, MasterD said:

What standard are the 3/4 players at?

Dunfermline? :digging:

IMO Miller Foderigham Wallace McKay are capable of being in our squad that wins 55

2 hours ago, HG5 said:

I wouldn't call being penned by our own corner flags for the last 10 minutes, while they stuck 2 in the box at corners & free kicks as they ran down the clock 'fighting to the end'.

Out on their feet more like.

Budgets can buy you skill.

You can train fitness & attitude into the less skilled.

We fell well short by that measure yesterday.

Ok I guess we all see things slightly differently- yes Celtic were the better Team... but I actually thought we might nick an equaliser- and we came bloody close. When I think of some of the "performances" of the last few years- it is good to see a Rangers Team that does not capitulate- I am desperately trying to be positive with the current set up- because in my view the critical issue is the failure to adequately fund a squad capable of competing with Celtic. Prior to King taking control, he deemed it a priority- but now he has control that funding has not been forthcoming. The longer the wait the bigger the funding gap that eventually has to be closed. Who do we replace MW with? Could King afford to pay off MW and DW and still be in a position to afford a better Manager? What better Manager would be prepared to take the position without a guaranteed "war chest" that would give them a realistic chance of competing on a level playing field with Celtic (for we know that they are the primary measure that all our Managers are measured against)? So for now we have MW and this Team who need our support or we will be more likely to see a decrease in levels of performance rather than the improvements we hope for.

35 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

1 or 2 quality players this window and 3/4 in the summer where it'll be easier to get in better players. Summer the level and standard must be upped dramatically

the way MW has spoken mate I doubt that will happen 

25 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Hodson straight swap for Tav or put Hodson on for Holt and move  Tav forward one.

He could also have went to a 4-5-1.

we played a 352 to both nullify our lack of pace at the back (sweeper system), match them man for man in the middle and not leave a striker isolated up top like miller was at hampden, in the 352 you need wingbacks that will go forward as much as defend, maybe more, hodson is not an attacking fullback at all

we got 4-5-1 we lose any sort of an outball as the tarriers mop up our striker and our two centre halves get caught square due to lack of pace

i actually think the system was spot on yesterday, and it could be a viable system going forward, but we need better players, we need better players no matter the system we use

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

thats my concern, warburton isnt one to use the media into guilting the board into spending money, smith was brilliant at it, wee snippet about needing more here, wee press statement about the amount of injuries and bang murray open the overdraft, hell even ally tried it with his unfilled bench at ibrox and his talking up of signing miller post match on BT one night (when we had just signed jon daly 3 months previous along with the likes of law etc)

id love to hear reports that warburton stormed into the boardroom tomorrow telling them that he'll walk if he doesnt get 10mill minimum to try bridge the gap in some manner to the tarriers, but not a chance in hell will he do that

1 hour ago, Beaujolais said:

Ok I guess we all see things slightly differently- yes Celtic were the better Team... but I actually thought we might nick an equaliser- and we came bloody close. When I think of some of the "performances" of the last few years- it is good to see a Rangers Team that does not capitulate- I am desperately trying to be positive with the current set up- because in my view the critical issue is the failure to adequately fund a squad capable of competing with Celtic. Prior to King taking control, he deemed it a priority- but now he has control that funding has not been forthcoming. The longer the wait the bigger the funding gap that eventually has to be closed. Who do we replace MW with? Could King afford to pay off MW and DW and still be in a position to afford a better Manager? What better Manager would be prepared to take the position without a guaranteed "war chest" that would give them a realistic chance of competing on a level playing field with Celtic (for we know that they are the primary measure that all our Managers are measured against)? So for now we have MW and this Team who need our support or we will be more likely to see a decrease in levels of performance rather than the improvements we hope for.

Completely agree we should have had an equaliser (those 2 chances seemed almost unmissable!), deserved or not can be argued elsewhere.

I also agree that we have been sold badly short in terms of funding for our season.

I think that what was available turns out to have been badly spent in almost every case, so have little faith that any further funds will be spent wisely.

It seems clear that the management team have no real ability to develop, organise & motivate the squad to provide a consistent level of performance. Failings which were evident a year ago are still tripping us up.

I'm not convinced we can afford to have MW at the helm much longer.

As for 'who would take it on', there will always be someone in football who will work with ridiculous conditions attached - look no further than the basket case that is Leeds. 

In answer to the OP's question...

Possibly no.

However, you can't really answer that in isolation to other considerations which also lead to questions.

Has another Rangers manager had to deal with promotion from a lower league and adjust to a suddenly "higher" level? 

Has another Rangers manager had to deal with comparative budgetary restraints that currently apply?

Given that both questions produce rather obvious answers, added to the fact that Warburton's approach is that of a "builder", rather than a buyer or a tactician, I think the wise option is to stick with Warburton, certainly until the end of the season, or near it, but perhaps raise the defensive concerns in terms of urgency.

There's a lack of communication at the back.

Wilson went to assist a 2 on 2 and leave the scorer free at the first, Tavernier let his runner get away far too complacently and Keirnan saw it and never pointed it out till it was way too late.

I never played at that level, but it just seemed natural to me to point out unmarked opponents to colleagues when you're marking your own opponent.

Schoolboy errors cost us that game.Players aren't sure of who they're marking. That's not acceptable and it turned out to be the difference between victory and defeat.

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

No surprise there! 

There's no evidence of anything 

you said the same stuff with McCoist in charge and if I was on here the day Durrant managed us against Dunfermline when we were 3-0 down at half time you'd have probably said "we're building your just too negative to sss it"

When W&W took over the club was in a mess. 

The organisation off the park has improved drastically. The stadium has required significant investment as well as the team, while the income streams are significantly hamstrung by Ashley and the onerous contracts written by previous boards. The legal recourse to terminate these contracts take time and significant finances.

It would seem that W&W have tried to utilise cheap quick fixes while the longer term changes take time to mature. They brought in 5 midfielders in the summer, 2 short term fixes in Barton and Nico and 3 longer term in Rossiter, Crooks and Windass. Yes, Barton and Nico were risks but there is no way any of us could have predicted the catalogue of injuries that the beset the younger guys.

Up front the addition of Garner and Dodoo seemed like good additions: Garner was starting to win us around before the injury, but I can't understand why Dodoo hasn't been given more of a chance as he has scored some cracking goals from the bench.

The defence is the biggest problem which has been exposed more by the insistence of playing from the back. When W&W first came we were much quicker in getting the ball forward and gave other teams little opportunity to regroup. I think we now pay the opposition to much respect and are unable to capitalise on our strengths which were fitness and teams tired chasing our shadows.

I thought we should have been challenging for the title this season but we have been desperately unlucky which has been augmented by some poor decision.

Celtic on the other hand have not had any significant injury problems. Add in the fact that in the first quarter season we played aberdeen, hearts and celtic away from home which has only been redressed in the last month thus giving celtic's season greater momentum.

Personally, I think we could have done with someone like Big Eck as manager to look after the first team while Warbarton sorted out the rest of the playing infrastructure of the club.

46 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

We aren't building a thing that I can see 

We agree that the team needs investment. Setting that aside I would say we are building the foundations to a youth/scouting/coaching set up that makes the best of Auchenhowie. That is crucially important to the playing side eventually.

17 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We agree that the team needs investment. Setting that aside I would say we are building the foundations to a youth/scouting/coaching set up that makes the best of Auchenhowie. That is crucially important to the playing side eventually.

I bet we don't develop as many full internationals over the next 15 years that we have in the last 15. The myth that Auchenhowie wasn't working was one of those lies which was said so many times people actually started believing it. 

And Warburton has neglected our youths even more than Ally McCoist did. Hell, even Walter Smith when we were winning titles and trophies not so long ago used more kids than Warburton has and that was us competing at a far higher level with a far greater demand on our players and manager. 

3 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

That's when blind hope kicks in mate hopefully What he says in the press and behind closed doors is completely different.

The manager even said at some point last year if it takes 3years to get us back to the top of Scottish football he won't be the manager.

January and summer widows are gonna be crucial I deciding his fate Imo.

Put it this way if we are in this position next year he'll be out I would think

7 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Warburton without money or McLeish/Smith without money - I'd still take the latter 

McLeish who couldn't even manage second with far better resources than Warburton?? And his record against the tarriers was shocking