Why did a fair number of Bears never warm to Alex McLeish?

Thermopylae

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ecks record at us speaks for itself, forget about the tarrier loss run and open our eyes to the 10 game winless run

eck won the cup double in his first half season
won the treble next season
dismantled a treble winning squad, rushed his replacements and had a stinker 3rd season
recruited properly in his 4th season and gave us helicopter sunday
finished 3rd in the league in his 5th season but made it through the CL group stages

but here is the major factor that many people will forget, during his time here he managed

to participate in 2 CL group stages, earning the club an extra 30-40million in revebue
participated in the uefa cup group stages, worth maybe around 5mill tops
cut the wage bill by up to a third if memory serves me right
and the big one, he had the audacity to make a transfer profit over his time as well, mad bastard he is

his run of losses against the tarriers was a brutal one, however waht people fail to realise about his 10 game winless run in the final season is that 7 of them were domestic games, and 6 of them were in the league, 3 of them were CL group stage games that we drew in all 3 of them and qualified for the last 16

wether we think he's a good fit for us again or not is one thing, but far too many people downgrade what he actually achieved under unbelievable constraints at the club

I liked Eck, but the football under him was brutal at times. 

He's probably underrated for the job he done here, particularly given the gulf in resource he was afforded when compared to Celtic. The Hearts team that beat us to second probably would have won the league if they hadn't sacked their manager halfway through the year. 

16 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

ecks record at us speaks for itself, forget about the tarrier loss run and open our eyes to the 10 game winless run

eck won the cup double in his first half season
won the treble next season
dismantled a treble winning squad, rushed his replacements and had a stinker 3rd season
recruited properly in his 4th season and gave us helicopter sunday
finished 3rd in the league in his 5th season but made it through the CL group stages

but here is the major factor that many people will forget, during his time here he managed

to participate in 2 CL group stages, earning the club an extra 30-40million in revebue
participated in the uefa cup group stages, worth maybe around 5mill tops
cut the wage bill by up to a third if memory serves me right
and the big one, he had the audacity to make a transfer profit over his time as well, mad bastard he is

his run of losses against the tarriers was a brutal one, however waht people fail to realise about his 10 game winless run in the final season is that 7 of them were domestic games, and 6 of them were in the league, 3 of them were CL group stage games that we drew in all 3 of them and qualified for the last 16

wether we think he's a good fit for us again or not is one thing, but far too many people downgrade what he actually achieved under unbelievable constraints at the club

You must see something many of us don't, I never rated him at all, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why. Even when he went to other clubs I didn't rate him, and I didn't rate him before he came to us either. I don't think he had much a clue when things went against us in a match; that's the way it looked at times.

2 hours ago, gsa said:

Ginger. 

2 hours ago, kaiser1041 said:

He's ginger

fuck you ya cunts i'm a ginger :lol:

But seriously, I was disillusioned by McLeish for a couple of simple reasons. I felt he tried tactics which were too ambitious for the players we had at the time, and it made those players under-perform and we played like shite.

I also don't like the way he... talks. Nothing against the man, but to me he's always come across as a bit thick and his interviews made me cringe. He also had a love affair with boab malcolm and it properly fucked me off every time I saw him on the team sheet.

Just from what I remember.

55 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

fuck you ya cunts i'm a ginger :lol:

But seriously, I was disillusioned by McLeish for a couple of simple reasons. I felt he tried tactics which were too ambitious for the players we had at the time, and it made those players under-perform and we played like shite.

I also don't like the way he... talks. Nothing against the man, but to me he's always come across as a bit thick and his interviews made me cringe. He also had a love affair with boab malcolm and it properly fucked me off every time I saw him on the team sheet.

Just from what I remember.

you didnt like bob "FTP" Malcolm?

I was delighted when he left. A very limited manager in the tactical sense.  The style of football we played under him was grim. In those days, we aspired to moving on to the next stage in Europe, and he was never going to be good enough to help us do that.  To appoint him now would be a backwards step. 

3 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

I do get the impression that's the case perhaps it's because he made his name surrounded by the likes of miller and leighton and that sort of shit rubs off? I think he did a good job with us first time around by continuing to deliver silverwear while cutting the wage bill in half and dare I say it he won more in England than rogers ever did 

His football was pish. Negative Nanny. Nothing to do with the sheep for me. 

10 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

I was delighted when he left. A very limited manager in the tactical sense.  The style of football we played under him was grim. In those days, we aspired to moving on to the next stage in Europe, and he was never going to be good enough to help us do that. To appoint him now would be a backwards step. 

IMG_7241.PNG

When fans mention that he did well with Advocaats players it should be pointed out the only reason he got the job was that those same players hadn't kicked a ball for wee Dick for the previous 18 months.

We were also miles behind Celtic in that seasons title race and had lost the league by over 20 points the previous season.

McLeish turned it round and won 5 trophies in 18 months with that side. 

His record is patchy and would rather we got someone else in but let's give the guy a bit of credit where it's due.

15 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

IMG_7241.PNG

Fair enough, but we won only one game in that group, scraped through by a single point, and went on to draw the next two games in the knockout stage (and be eliminated).  Strangely enough, we actually expected more than this in those days. The draw against Inter broke the club record of a streak of results without a win.  The style of football was generally dire.  His record against Celtic was atrocious.  But he was, and still is, one of the 'good old boys' beloved of the Scottish sporting media.  A hugely overrated manager whose correct level was Motherwell or Hibs. If we appoint him now, we will regret it.