Barrie McKay supposedly rejects contract extension

Marky.

1 hour ago, DaleFo8 said:

Of course shot assists is a fucking stat. Hardly the creators fault other players can't fucking finish, and that's the point of shot assists, shows you how many chances a player creates, and Barrie creates some of the most. 

There's a lot he has to work on but people saying he doesn't create enough are just wrong.

Touched a nerve there? 

Goals are obv a more important stat - he doesn't score many. 

Goal assists is probs the next most important stat for a winger - not many of these either.

So let's work our way further down the scale - shots assists - still not that many.

The quality of the ball can  obviously have an impact on the other player's finish - the better the pass, cross, the better the chance of a goal. As the the point of the video was to highlight Barrie's contribution, it's probably safe to assume the video show all the shot assists he had in those games. There weren't many. I do find it hard to believe that creating a couple of chances  in games against relatively poor opposition puts him in the top category here. 

Bottom line - he doesn't score enough goals, create enough goals or create enough chances. Let's just accept the truth of the matter and hope Pedro can take him to a higher level.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry McKay is talented, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that and he would look better if he'd been surrounded by finishers. Totally agree.

He still doesn't make the most of what he has though. Nothing like it. Might never.

Pedro seems to be another coach that can see that he has something and thinks he can bring out more from. Sure hope so. I definitely think he has the raw ability to be very, very good. 

22 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Yes I listened to the presser and was glad with what PC said.

Barrie, as Pedro said, needs to improve in certain parts of his play and I believe he can and will do that. :thumbup:

Spot on. He's not the best player I've ever seen at Ibrox, but I agree with your comment. Sometimes a new manager can vastly improve players who are either just average or very inconsistent over a season. For me, McKay falls into the latter of the two, but I'm hoping Pedro is able to bring Barrie up to the next level in his development, so I'm more than happy if he decides to stay.

Guest Lloyd72
23 minutes ago, left winger said:

Touched a nerve there? 

Goals are obv a more important stat - he doesn't score many. 

Goal assists is probs the next most important stat for a winger - not many of these either.

So let's work our way further down the scale - shots assists - still not that many.

The quality of the ball can  obviously have an impact on the other player's finish - the better the pass, cross, the better the chance of a goal. As the the point of the video was to highlight Barrie's contribution, it's probably safe to assume the video show all the shot assists he had in those games. There weren't many. I do find it hard to believe that creating a couple of chances  in games against relatively poor opposition puts him in the top category here. 

Bottom line - he doesn't score enough goals, create enough goals or create enough chances. Let's just accept the truth of the matter and hope Pedro can take him to a higher level.

Barrie averages the 5th highest shot assists per match in Britain here's a picture of some of them IMG_0813.thumb.JPG.8cd4c7fce4b6806bc7a82816122d666f.JPG

but aye doesn't get many of them at all.

31 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Barrie averages the 5th highest shot assists per match in Britain here's a picture of some of them IMG_0813.thumb.JPG.8cd4c7fce4b6806bc7a82816122d666f.JPG

Lovely picture, but can you put it into figures for me?

Look purely at shot assists, how many does he have to be number five in Britain? Is there a 'league table' for this? 

Guest Lloyd72
26 minutes ago, left winger said:

Lovely picture, but can you put it into figures for me?

Look purely at shot assists, how many does he have to be number five in Britain? Is there a 'league table' for this? 

I don't have the stats but @SPFLradar on twitter does so ask him

2 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

How does he compare to other wingers or attacking mids for assists and goals in the same league as him? 

As i said before the shots from assist thing is an absolutely pointless stat, it doesn't take into account whether the shots are the best option or whether they are particularly difficult shots that are not good chances etc, if you've watched McKay for more than half a game I'm shocked anyone defends his decision making and final ball, that's where he has to improve his game, no doubt about it

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

How does he compare to other wingers or attacking mids for assists and goals in the same league as him? 

As i said before the shots from assist thing is an absolutely pointless stat, it doesn't take into account whether the shots are the best option or whether they are particularly difficult shots that are not good chances etc, if you've watched McKay for more than half a game I'm shocked anyone defends his decision making and final ball, that's where he has to improve his game, no doubt about it

Compared to Walker or Hayes he has very few assists but his shot assists prove that he is creating shots in good areas which our strikers and players like Holt and Wallace should be finishing. It is not a pointless stat at all.

8 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Compared to Walker or Hayes he has very few assists but his shot assists prove that he is creating shots in good areas which our strikers and players like Holt and Wallace should be finishing. It is not a pointless stat at all.

Just because someone has got a shot away says nothing about the quality of chance created or whether there are better options, the only real stat that's important is actual goal assists and/or goals scored - unfortunately for McKay he doesn't make many goals or score them, Warburton was a huge fan of his stats and look where that got us...

Guest Lloyd72
45 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Just because someone has got a shot away says nothing about the quality of chance created or whether there are better options, the only real stat that's important is actual goal assists and/or goals scored - unfortunately for McKay he doesn't make many goals or score them, Warburton was a huge fan of his stats and look where that got us...

Watch this video and tell me if it's his fault He is not making many goals this season. He is being let down by the players around him imo and gets used as a scapegoat.

7 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Watch the video this video and tell me if it's his fault He is not making many goals this season. He is being let down by the players around him imo and gets used as a scapegoat.

I'm sure someone that could be arsed could make a video showing the horrible choices he's made when his ball hasn't passed the first defender or gone past everyone coming in.

I'm not saying we have good strikers, I've said for the last three years that we're crying out for a natural goalscorer in the team.

He's not a scapegoat, he doesn't show up in some games and looks like he can't be fucked a lot of the time when it's not going his way, he makes bad decisions and his final ball is disappointing a lot of the time. It's not about quoting stats (which don't seem to be easily obtainable to make any comparisons, just some guy saying it on Twitter) it's about watching him play and not progress over a few seasons

12 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Watch this video and tell me if it's his fault He is not making many goals this season. He is being let down by the players around him imo and gets used as a scapegoat.

That exact same excuse was used for Kiernan for ages, and even Wilson at the start of last season.

Guest Lloyd72
4 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I'm sure someone that could be arsed could make a video showing the horrible choices he's made when his ball hasn't passed the first defender or gone past everyone coming in.

I'm not saying we have good strikers, I've said for the last three years that we're crying out for a natural goalscorer in the team.

He's not a scapegoat, he doesn't show up in some games and looks like he can't be fucked a lot of the time when it's not going his way, he makes bad decisions and his final ball is disappointing a lot of the time. It's not about quoting stats (which don't seem to be easily obtainable to make any comparisons, just some guy saying it on Twitter) it's about watching him play and not progress over a few seasons

Do you not think he progressed in his time here? Even just last season I think his vision and passing improved massively, also I don't think he's lazy I think he lacks confidence to beat his man, I hope Pedro can Instil that confidence in him because when he is on his game he is almost unplayable, I don't think his decision making is perfect but it's far from as bad as you are making out.

12 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

That's exactly it, poor strikers and general finishing. McKay isn't Davie Cooper but he doesn't deserve the shit flung at him by the usual mob on here.

Just now, Lloyd72 said:

Do you not think he progressed in his time here? Even just last season I think his vision and passing improved massively, also I don't think he's lazy I think he lacks confidence to beat his man, I hope Pedro can Instil that confidence in him because when he is on his game he is almost unplayable, I don't think his decision making is perfect but it's far from as bad as you are making out.

I think he was better in the first half of last season that he is now. He had a good understanding with Wallace but that seems to have gone since Wallace had to try and be a defender, a lot of the time he looks lost on the pitch, it's fine saying it's confidence, but you can't afford to lack confidence game after game and disappear when things aren't going your way.

I'm not saying he's awful, i just think he's never going to get any better or more consistent - time after time I'm disappointed by the poor choices he makes at crucial times, that's maybe just because they stick with me when we're not beating teams.

If he stays i really hope the new manager can get more from him.

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, the_r_sole said:

I think he was better in the first half of last season that he is now. He had a good understanding with Wallace but that seems to have gone since Wallace had to try and be a defender, a lot of the time he looks lost on the pitch, it's fine saying it's confidence, but you can't afford to lack confidence game after game and disappear when things aren't going your way.

I'm not saying he's awful, i just think he's never going to get any better or more consistent - time after time I'm disappointed by the poor choices he makes at crucial times, that's maybe just because they stick with me when we're not beating teams.

If he stays i really hope the new manager can get more from him.

I think he performs better without Wallace, it gives him more freedom and it means he has to try and beat players instead of waiting for an overlap I'd like to see him play with Beerman who likes to cut inside more on the overlap. 

At 22 I think it's stupid to say he won't improve he is still young and while he should be starting to mould himself into the player he will be he is still potential which Caixinha believes he can take to the next level and improve vastly. 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I think he performs better without Wallace, it gives him more freedom and it means he has to try and beat players instead of waiting for an overlap I'd like to see him play with Beerman who likes to cut inside more on the overlap. 

At 22 I think it's stupid to say he won't improve he is still young and while he should be starting to mould himself into the player he will be he is still potential which Caixinha believes he can take to the next level and improve vastly. 

That's fine, but he doesn't seem to want to take anyone on, so he just holds it up and looks back or square, i hope you're right but i don't share your confidence that he'll be getting any better

It isn't McKays fault that he's been passing to fucking dross for a bit of his Rangers career.

Some of the options he has had to aim at would mean even Neymar would struggle to have decent assist stats.

That being said, he does seem to lack the steel to go with his guile. He gets marked too easily and seems like the sort of guy that constantly needs to have a burd.

His touch is very good as is his vision outside of a final ball.

I really don't think he is a winger, would like to see him given a run in a two with freedom to move around.

Cant help that thinking that a lot of folk happy to see the back of him is born of frustration, rather than him being shite.

We shouldn't be held to ransom by him, but I am keen on him staying.