***** The Official Scottish Youth Cup Final thread *****

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about the youth development scene however it's fairly evident we're not as fast, strong, big or as technically good as the taigs sadly. Whether that is down to the age gap, i'm not sure. That said, despite it being a disappointing few weeks, if one or two can push through to the first team that would be a massive boost. There's a few for us who have a chance IMO.

Commentator is right, for once, we're one or two years behind their team in development and playing out of their comfort zone against bigger, more developed players will do nothing but benefit them. 

Worthing baring in mind that U15, U14, U13 etc where the teams are evenly matched, Rangers are the better side.

Thank Christ that's over.

I guess it was no secret that there's is a big gap between us and them at most levels.

One positive is that most of these boys have 2/3 years left to develop at U20's level.

Alot of work to be done though. 

2 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

This is really for those who've seen the development team regularly this season.   In your opinions who (if any) of the development squad are at a level where they might be good enough to be brought into the first team squad for next season?   

I've been asked this most of the season and there are very few who would make an immediate impact like we want. Some will be able to come in and do a job here and there but most are a long way from coming in and making them self regulars.

6 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

This is really for those who've seen the development team regularly this season.   In your opinions who (if any) of the development squad are at a level where they might be good enough to be brought into the first team squad for next season?   

I think Aidan Wilson, Serge Atakayi and Ross Lyon could possibly be good enough for a debut

'Nice try Youth team better luck next season':tu:

Just now, The Dude said:

I've been asked this most of the season and there are very few who would make an immediate impact like we want. Some will be able to come in and do a job here and there but most are a long way from coming in and making them self regulars.

Thanks.    That there might be a 'very few' is encouraging in itself.   I suppose its now up to Pedro to make a decision on them and whether he sees enough in them to be persuaded that they can make the transition in a season which will be so important.     The other thing I guess is that the remainder, plus those who move into the development squad, will gain another season of experience and we might find more than a few ready to progress up to the first team squad this time next year.    Will be interested to see if Pedro selects any for the first team squad for next season.

13 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Thanks.    That there might be a 'very few' is encouraging in itself.   I suppose its now up to Pedro to make a decision on them and whether he sees enough in them to be persuaded that they can make the transition in a season which will be so important.     The other thing I guess is that the remainder, plus those who move into the development squad, will gain another season of experience and we might find more than a few ready to progress up to the first team squad this time next year.    Will be interested to see if Pedro selects any for the first team squad for next season.

I'd expect to see the bulk of those who played tonight out on loan next season to get out playing senior football regularly. I'll argue til Im blue in the face that it's more important for their development to play games with real-life consequences (relegation, clubs having to cut costs and players losing jobs etc) than youth games.

Just now, The Dude said:

I'd expect to see the bulk of those who played tonight out on loan next season to get out playing senior football regularly. I'll argue til Im blue in the face that it's more important for their development to play games with real-life consequences (relegation, clubs having to cut costs and players losing jobs etc) than youth games.

Yes, good point.   Loan experience would (or should) sharpen them to more of the realities of what is needed to make it in the game of football.   Perhaps we might even find some going out on loan to clubs outside Scotland and in better levels of competition, and not just farmed out to lower division sides in Scotland, but perhaps I hope for too much.

Which brings us back to those who were on loan this season and whether in Pedro's eyes they are to be brought into the first team squad for next season or more loan experience, or move on.   Its getting towards that time of the season.

My report on tonight's game

https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/youth-cup-final/

1 hour ago, PRW. said:

Worthing baring in mind that U15, U14, U13 etc where the teams are evenly matched, Rangers are the better side.

I watched all these age groups this week.

15's drew 2-2 and should have won having beaten them comfortably twice this season

14's lost 2-1, a late goalkeeping error separating the teams, Rangers won the previous meeting 3-0

13's lost 3-1 and it could have been more, previous game was a 1-1 draw.

I'd rather Ryan Hardie and Jordan Thompson played Hibs tonight than help us save face against tims. Hardie scored AGAIN tonight and I hope he passes on some finishing tips to Waghorn. Hardie came on at 84mins and made it 2-2 at 85mins , boy knows how to find the goal.

13 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

My report on tonight's game

https://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/youth-cup-final/

I watched all these age groups this week.

15's drew 2-2 and should have won having beaten them comfortably twice this season

14's lost 2-1, a late goalkeeping error separating the teams, Rangers won the previous meeting 3-0

13's lost 3-1 and it could have been more, previous game was a 1-1 draw.

So the 15's and 14's were unlucky and are the better teams whilst 13's are poorer?

1 hour ago, PRW. said:

Commentator is right, for once, we're one or two years behind their team in development and playing out of their comfort zone against bigger, more developed players will do nothing but benefit them. 

And then when they get to 16/17 they get elevated to the under 20s and can't compete 

So It seems