Club 1872 Statement on Neil Lennon

Siam69

10 minutes ago, thegambler said:

I didn't say the statement formally asked for an investigation, but they certainly wished to bring the police's attention to it. Regardless, it's had a negative effect imo. As I wrote above. 

Was it not some of the fans that made complaints to the police, I'm sure I heard/read that the polis were taking statements at the time regarding the gestures.

I presume club 1872 were following up the complaints that the polis would have a duty to act on.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Was it not some of the fans that made complaints to the police, I'm sure I heard/read that the polis were taking statements at the time regarding the gestures.

I presume club 1872 were following up the complaints that the polis would have a duty to act on.

Thats roughly my understanding as well RSC - I know for a fact it wasnt Club1872 who made the complaint.

In fairness to the gambler I dont think he is suggesting that either

Just now, thegambler said:

Thanks. Yes, to a certain extent. Supporters also have a responsibility to act like adults though. 

Yes they do and I normally dont get involved in the moral high horse nonsense which we see so often on forums and especially twitter.

However notwithstanding that, I do think Lennon's behaviour is inconsistent with the expectations and standards espoused by a sheriff previously regarding the conduct of those on the park.

2 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

However notwithstanding that, I do think Lennon's behaviour is inconsistent with the expectations and standards espoused by a sheriff previously regarding the conduct of those on the park.

I agree mate. Even if it looks backwards from my previous post. 

3 hours ago, ScotBear said:

As for the ref, I think it's far too early in the season for the club to be making a statement about referees. If it continues, yes. But I've seen fans on here today backtracking on the Ryan Jack sending off having seen further footage of the incident. It does not appear to be so clear cut today that he did not deserve a red, and certainly not so clear cut that it was down to bias rather than simply a crap decision. 

Seems most of the complaints are not now about Jack getting sent off but the double standard of stokes getting away with it for the second time in the match. The punishment should have been the same for each player as stokes raised his hands by grabbing Jack by the throat and Jack was perceived to have motioned forwards with his head. 

I would say 99% of the time in games if two  players are involved like that, the same punishment is handed out to each of them.  I would love to hear the refs explanation for why only one got a red.

6 hours ago, ScotBear said:

Sounds more like a cult than Rangers supporters. Hopefully the wider football world realise they are just an insignificant minority group with poor judgement that doesn't reflect the wider support and how we want to be portrayed. 

They are the second largest shareholder of the club. 

Just out of interest what do you want 1872 to comment on?

29 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

They are the second largest shareholder of the club. 

Just out of interest what do you want 1872 to comment on?

Well to use two historical examples involving the arsehole in question....

1) Shouting 'orange bastards' to the Rangers crowd.

2) Spitting on a Rangers scarf on the touch line.

Those to me are two examples of what Lennon is capable of that would be worth commenting on.

Us giving him shit for 90 minutes (not a problem) and him reacting when they score in a non offensive way.....that's fair game in my view. It's banter by both sides and we shouldn't dish it with such vigour if we can't take it. Neither the fans or Lennon crossed the line on this occassion. 

8 minutes ago, ScotBear said:

Those to me are two examples of what Lennon is capable of that would be worth commenting on.

Us giving him shit for 90 minutes (not a problem) and him reacting when they score in a non offensive way.....that's fair game in my view. It's banter by both sides and we shouldn't dish it with such vigour if we can't take it. Neither the fans or Lennon crossed the line on this occassion. 

So that's not being a mopey taig, but commenting on a gesture that means Fuck You is. 

25 minutes ago, ScotBear said:

Only problem being that Club 1872 didnt exist at the time of the incidents you refer to,

22 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So that's not being a mopey taig, but commenting on a gesture that means Fuck You is. 

In my view his gesture on Saturday is not in the same bracket as those I described. To be honest I'd probably not make a formal statement on any of it. We give him shit, he gives us shit and I'm just interested in us making sure that our team comes out on top more than his. It's up to the police to decide when they need to step in from a safety point of view, not our responsibility. I mean, are we really concerned by his gesture from a safety point of view ? It's point scoring. If Lee McCulloch did that as a manager at Parkhead we'd be saying fair play to him. 

1872 should be focusing on constructive club matters, not acting like a bunch of bed wetters over Lennon's antics. 

11 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Only problem being that Club 1872 didnt exist at the time of the incidents you refer to,

I know. They were examples of the sort of behaviour Lennon is capable of that would be worthy of consideration, would be a talking point. This is playground stuff, pigtails. 

Just now, ScotBear said:

In my view his gesture on Saturday is not in the same bracket as those I described. To be honest I'd probably not make a formal statement on any of it. We give him shit, he gives us shit and I'm just interested in us making sure that our team comes out on top more than his. It's up to the police to decide when they need to step in from a safety point of view, not our responsibility. I mean, are we really concerned by his gesture from a safety point of view ? It's point scoring. If Lee McCulloch did that as a manager at Parkhead we'd be saying fair play to him. 

1872 should be focusing on constructive club matters, not acting like a bunch of bed wetters over Lennon's antics. 

Why do folk keep saying if Big Jig did this at parkhead. ?? More chance of Jig giving the legomuncher another cuddle at halftime. 

I would say yes we should worried about safety issue, I mine he's never gestured to another crowd and had someone run on and have a swing at the cunt. 

The sooner this mhanky cunt is run out of Scottish Football the better the whole place will be. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why do folk keep saying if Big Jig did this at parkhead. ?? More chance of Jig giving the legomuncher another cuddle at halftime. 

I would say yes we should worried about safety issue, I mine he's never gestured to another crowd and had someone run on and have a swing at the cunt. 

The sooner this mhanky cunt is run out of Scottish Football the better the whole place will be. 

Disagreed with you on this and still do re all your posts on this topic.....but I can't disagree with the last paragraph. 

10 minutes ago, ScotBear said:

I know. They were examples of the sort of behaviour Lennon is capable of that would be worthy of consideration, would be a talking point. This is playground stuff, pigtails. 

Yet depending on how you wear those pigtails the response and censure can be quite different.

Screenshot_331.thumb.png.757d03d0b5191d5987b3a7090b61f271.png

I wish we could go back to a more robust atmosphere in football grounds where banter was given out and taken but given the high standards that are now expected of supporters and players I don't think it's unreasonable to point out when someone falls way below these high standards expected of everyone else.

5 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Yet depending on how you wear those pigtails the response and censure can be quite different.

Screenshot_331.thumb.png.757d03d0b5191d5987b3a7090b61f271.png

What doesn't the daily mail get offended by. 

If we want to throw up past examples to illustrate why we feel there has been different treatment towards our players/managers, fair enough. But it shouldn't mean we change our stance so that we have this mock offence culture just because one of our players got harshly treated in the past. 

Just now, ScotBear said:

What doesn't the daily mail get offended by. 

If we want to throw up past examples to illustrate why we feel there has been different treatment towards our players/managers, fair enough. But it shouldn't mean we change our stance so that we have this mock offence culture just because one of our players got harshly treated in the past. 

You seem to be the only one talking about being "offended".

Im not offended -I'm livid at the considerable inconsistency at play here.

If an official deems a gesture worthy of a red card suggesting it has the potential to incite a riot shouldnt we reasonably expect that to be appllied evenly and across the board ?

4 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

You seem to be the only one talking about being "offended".

Im not offended -I'm livid at the considerable inconsistency at play here.

If an official deems a gesture worthy of a red card suggesting it has the potential to incite a riot shouldnt we reasonably expect that to be appllied evenly and across the board ?

Yes. But that's not the position of the statement. The statement is focussed on our support gasping in shock that Lennon gestured at us when his team scored. It's not about inconsistency.....it should be. 

Halliday decision was wrong and if we want to use lack of action re Lennon as an example of inconsistency, fine. But we shouldn't be calling for action against Lennon, not in this instance.

39 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Why do folk keep saying if Big Jig did this at parkhead. ??

Was going to post just this, seems a common line trotted out, wonder where it's coming from?

What has Jig ever done to suggest he would be a classless wee wanker like lennon?

Just now, ScotBear said:

Yes. But that's not the position of the statement. The statement is focussed on our support gasping in shock that Lennon gestured at us when his team scored. It's not about inconsistency.....it should be. 

Halliday decision was wrong and if we want to use lack of action re Lennon as an example of inconsistency, fine. But we shouldn't be calling for action against Lennon, not in this instance.

I always become concerned when people start introducing  things during a discussion which are infactual and erroneous..

Im struggling to find anything in the Club 1872 statement which would qualify as "gasping in shock". Just for simplicty here it is in full.

Club 1872 would like to commend the restraint of the Rangers support following a clear attempt by Hibernian manager, Neil Lennon, to incite trouble at yesterday’s game at Ibrox.

Rangers and Club 1872 are always keen to remind our supporters of their duty to act as ambassadors for our club but that duty is not one that applies only to Rangers supporters.

Mr Lennon has previous for abusing and goading both Rangers staff and supporters. He seems completely unable to control himself at Ibrox. We can only speculate as to why. His actions in the dugout yesterday – where he made various inflammatory gestures to the supporters sitting directly behind the Hibernian dugout – were not becoming of any football manager, never mind one who likes to play the victim when things do not go his way. It is inexplicable that the fourth official chose to take no action against him at the time but, against the backdrop of possibly the worst refereeing performance ever seen at Ibrox, perhaps we should not be surprised.

Mr Lennon has been extensively quoted in the media as saying that he “didn’t make a gesture”. If that quote is accurate then he is not only irresponsible but a liar.

Had a Rangers supporter reacted to Mr Lennon’s actions yesterday then we would no doubt have been treated to further dramatic headlines about the persecution he has to suffer. Instead we have seen several media commentators make jokes about Lennon’s conduct. It is only because of the good sense of our supporters that they are in a position to do so.

Police Scotland categorised this match as high risk due to the behaviour of Hibernian supporters at the Scottish Cup Final in 2016 when Rangers players were attacked on the pitch. Neil Lennon knew that and he knew he had a responsibility to act in an appropriate manner. He shirked that responsibility and reverted to type.

We hope that Police Scotland will speak directly to Mr Lennon over the coming days and at the very least give him a warning over his future conduct at Ibrox. We also expect the SPFL to take action against Mr Lennon over his failed attempt to incite trouble.