Players we nearly signed...

BEE

Just listening to Daily Record podcast (I know) and Alex Rae mentions that Paul Ince was close to signing for us instead of Liverpool when he left Inter Milan.

Also heard Murray met Frank Lampard several times but he wasn’t interested in playing at some of the shite away grounds in league.

Anyone heard any others not mentioned regularly?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to remember who it was, I remember reading about an Italian player we had on trial when he was 17/18 but we turned him down, sure it was someone that went on to have a pretty good career and reach a high level, escapes me who it was though, ring any bells with anyone?

Chevchenco.

We were linked with just about every good player when we were in our pomp. Hagi and Florin Raducioiu spring to mind. Del Piero at One point. Battistuta too. We could have afforded them but most wouldn't play in Scotland.

Fat Ronaldo too.

Just now, Inigo said:

Chevchenco.

We were linked with just about every good player when we were in our pomp. Hagi and Florin Raducioiu spring to mind. Del Piero at One point. Battistuta too. We could have afforded them but most wouldn't play in Scotland.

Fat Ronaldo too.

I remember seeing an interview with Fat Ronaldo where he said he'd have given serious consideration to it if he'd known Advocaat was going to be our next manager. He was probably talking shite though.

I'm sure it came out years later that it was some dodgy deal with Nike funding the move and that he would only be available for some games.

Klinsmann and Bierhoff were both heavily linked in different close seasons.

Probably much of it just silly season, but I'd wager we enquired about quite a few of them. As I say, it was the league, not the money that was the issue. The names were more realistic than it sounds saying it now.

5 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I remember seeing an interview with Fat Ronaldo where he said he'd have given serious consideration to it if he'd known Advocaat was going to be our next manager. He was probably talking shite though.

I'm sure it came out years later that it was some dodgy deal with Nike funding the move and that he would only be available for some games.

Yeah that all sounds familiar now that you say it.