Mark Allen: My role at Rangers has been greatly misunderstood

Virtuoso

8 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

He’s basically a middle manager, with fuck all authority. Director of Football title is pretty misleading. 

Seems like board are paying lip service to being a ‘modern’ club, but in fact haven’t implemented it all. 

I don’t blame him or Murty, but neither should be in post IMO. 

I sort of agree - All the things he said in the interview need built and managed at the club but is the correct title ‘director of football’ - his role is needed but we fans do seem to have given it more ‘credence’ than it actually warrants - Manager is still the key position. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I sort of agree - All the things he said in the interview need built and managed at the club but is the correct title ‘director of football’ - his role is needed but we fans do seem to have given it more ‘credence’ than it actually warrants - Manager is still the key position. 

He is the corporate glue manager.  The Bostik man.   That's his role.  He said so himself. 

I don't think there is anything that Mark Allen could say to please some on here!

Hes made it abundantly clear that he doesn't make the decision when it comes to hiring a manager or signing players, yet people on here were suggested he was the reason there was a delay in a new manager being appointed and then he was a major reason Derek McInnes turned us down.

I know some people have said hes a rat/rat bastard/waste of money/the same as the rest of them...same as the rest of who?

This is a guy who has worked to build a very good reputation in football, this isn't a daft job for the boys appointment and I don't think he is the boards puppet either, otherwise surely he wouldn't be so open in his criticism?

I don't claim to be an expert of have knowledge of whats going on at Ibrox but from the outside looking in, it looks like the board are deciding to do what they like in spite of the advice/recommendations of the director of football. If that is the case, then there is no point in having a director of football, but I dont think its fair to blame Mark Allen for the fact that he is here trying to do a job!

1 minute ago, Del said:

I don't think there is anything that Mark Allen could say to please some on here!

Hes made it abundantly clear that he doesn't make the decision when it comes to hiring a manager or signing players, yet people on here were suggested he was the reason there was a delay in a new manager being appointed and then he was a major reason Derek McInnes turned us down.

I know some people have said hes a rat/rat bastard/waste of money/the same as the rest of them...same as the rest of who?

This is a guy who has worked to build a very good reputation in football, this isn't a daft job for the boys appointment and I don't think he is the boards puppet either, otherwise surely he wouldn't be so open in his criticism?

I don't claim to be an expert of have knowledge of whats going on at Ibrox but from the outside looking in, it looks like the board are deciding to do what they like in spite of the advice/recommendations of the director of football. If that is the case, then there is no point in having a director of football, but I dont think its fair to blame Mark Allen for the fact that he is here trying to do a job!

I'd take the word of Derek's best mate over any lying bastard at Rangers. We have a set-up and structure of proven liars.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'd take the word of Derek's best mate over any lying bastard at Rangers. We have a set-up and structure of proven liars.

What is his motive to lie?

If he is the boards puppet then his statement doesn't exactly do them any favours?

If its for self-preservation then again, having a go at the board isn't going to help him either?

There is no logical reason for him to make it up!

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

:lol: coming from a fantasist that’s class. Unlike you to hate anything Rangers - oh wait - that’s what you do.

Just now, Del said:

What is his motive to lie?

If he is the boards puppet then his statement doesn't exactly do them any favours?

If its for self-preservation then again, having a go at the board isn't going to help him either?

There is no logical reason for him to make it up!

Are you serious asking what's his motive to lie and no logical reason to make it up? possibly to pacify the fans, make them think things are in order and most of all to banish them from any sort of responsibilty with cheap-talk.

Could flip it right back at you and say why would his best mate lie? 

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Mark Allan is not Rangers hate to break it to you ya fat sex abuser

:lol: yet again you have a pop at someo connected with the club - just add DofF to a long list of players, ex players, managers, ex managers, directors you say are not ranger but you like to degenerate 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Are you serious asking what's his motive to lie and no logical reason to make it up? possibly to pacify the fans, make them think things are in order and most of all to banish them from any sort of responsibilty with cheap-talk.

Could flip it right back at you and say why would his best mate lie? 

So you think that he only said “We had a list within two days [of Pedro Caixinha’s sacking],” Allen said. “In an ideal world, you would like it to be something that happens very quickly, and something that is seamless" to pacify the fans? In what way does that pacify anyone?

He has been accused of being a puppet for the board, but that statement alone is a shot at the board, I dont know how anyone can deny that!

Why would his best mate lie, I am not saying I believe this to be the case but playing devils advocate, I dont know, maybe to try and take some of the flack from his pal or to make his pal look better? A Rangers fan, ex-player, is offered the chance to "save the club" and he turns it down? Comes in for a lot of grief from Rangers fans that he lacks ambition, bottled it etc. then it comes out that one of the reasons is that he didnt like the set up or the candidates that the Director of Football had lined up? Looks like an easy story to pedal to me.

I think it was pretty obvious to see that Mark Allen wasn't the only man making decisions/signing players. Do you think he knew who Pena, Herrera, Caroso, Candeais etc were? They were obviously influenced by the manager!

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

:lol: yet again you have a pop at someo connected with the club - just add DofF to a long list of players, ex players, managers, ex managers, directors you say are not ranger but you like to degenerate 

Yes, connected with the club NOT THEE CLUB.

These fucking mugs are running Rangers into the ground and you think they are heroes because they are employed by Rangers. As someone else said well yesterday we could employ Peter Sutcliffe in a celtic shirt wanking off a wee boy and you'd love it. 

It doesn't make you a good fan it makes you a fucking mug. You take your wife hillwalking so you can batter her with no witnesses.

4 minutes ago, Del said:

So you think that he only said “We had a list within two days [of Pedro Caixinha’s sacking],” Allen said. “In an ideal world, you would like it to be something that happens very quickly, and something that is seamless" to pacify the fans? In what way does that pacify anyone?

He has been accused of being a puppet for the board, but that statement alone is a shot at the board, I dont know how anyone can deny that!

Why would his best mate lie, I am not saying I believe this to be the case but playing devils advocate, I dont know, maybe to try and take some of the flack from his pal or to make his pal look better? A Rangers fan, ex-player, is offered the chance to "save the club" and he turns it down? Comes in for a lot of grief from Rangers fans that he lacks ambition, bottled it etc. then it comes out that one of the reasons is that he didnt like the set up or the candidates that the Director of Football had lined up? Looks like an easy story to pedal to me.

I think it was pretty obvious to see that Mark Allen wasn't the only man making decisions/signing players. Do you think he knew who Pena, Herrera, Caroso, Candeais etc were? They were obviously influenced by the manager!

He's said that to pacificy the fans and get them onside with him. Why else would he just own up, off the bat to having a list ready within 2-days if he wasn't trying to justify himself and defend his work? 

I've not accused him of being a puppet. I've accused him of being useless along with the board of liars.

The last bit I don't get, all they signings were made before Allan arrived... he started work late August. The last two signings we made when he was here was Nemane and John who he's been credited with.

Yes, connected with the club NOT THEE CLUB.

These fucking mugs are running Rangers into the ground and you think they are heroes because they are employed by Rangers. As someone else said well yesterday we could employ Peter Sutcliffe in a celtic shirt wanking off a wee boy and you'd love it. 

It doesn't make you a good fan it makes you a fucking mug. You take your wife hillwalking so you can batter her with no witnesses.

Tsk tsk you just can’t help yourself when you get called out on your anti Rangers attitude can you! Sad wee git. 

Exactly it is a pop at the board just as the answer to the TOP question was a clear drawing of the line between the board and Dave King.

Mark Allen's statement is clearly stating the appointment of Murty has very little to do with me and if they think I'm the fall guy for the boards indecision / incompetence think again.

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Tsk tsk you just can’t help yourself when you get called out on your anti Rangers attitude can you! Sad wee git. 

It's pro-Rangers not anti-Rangers.

I don't put up with ex-players bad mouthing the fans, directors lying to us, ex-managers doing their jobs that badly we are a laughing stock, ex-managers creaming us for every penny they can ... I'd never apologise for that, whereas you ya fucking serial abuser will suck the nuts of the Rangers ball boys given a chance.

He's said that to pacificy the fans and get them onside with him. Why else would he just own up, off the bat to having a list ready within 2-days if he wasn't trying to justify himself and defend his work? 

I've not accused him of being a puppet. I've accused him of being useless along with the board of liars.

The last bit I don't get, all the signings were made before Allan arrived... he started work late August. The last two signings we made when he was here was Nemane and John who he's been credited with.

Well I don't think it pacified anyone, the opposite, so that doesn't make sense to me but again if, as you are suggesting, hes done it get the fans on side with him (self preservation) then hes literally just slated the men who employed, which again is the opposite of self preservation...maybe I am not explaining my point very well but I just cant see how people are outraged at what he said!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say I am a Mark Allen fan, I don't think anyone can make an educated opinion of him one way of the other, but of everyone involved at the club in senior/executive positions, he is the only one to have actually achieved anything in the footballing world, so I would be more inclined to listen to him than most/all of the board members. 

I was of the understanding that although Mark Allen wasn't officially appointed as the DoF until around 20th June (which is before Pena and Herrera signed) that he was working with the club before the start of pre-season but was unable to move officially due to contractual arrangements? Maybe I have got that mixed up somewhere.

1 minute ago, Del said:

Well I don't think it pacified anyone, the opposite, so that doesn't make sense to me but again if, as you are suggesting, hes done it get the fans on side with him (self preservation) then hes literally just slated the men who employed, which again is the opposite of self preservation...maybe I am not explaining my point very well but I just cant see how people are outraged at what he said!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say I am a Mark Allen fan, I don't think anyone can make an educated opinion of him one way of the other, but of everyone involved at the club in senior/executive positions, he is the only one to have actually achieved anything in the footballing world, so I would be more inclined to listen to him than most/all of the board members. 

I was of the understanding that although Mark Allen wasn't officially appointed as the DoF until around 20th June (which is before Pena and Herrera signed) that he was working with the club before the start of pre-season but was unable to move officially due to contractual arrangements? Maybe I have got that mixed up somewhere.

Allen didn't start working until well into August. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Allen didn't start working until well into August. 

An article was posted on the Rangers website on 20th June 2017 announcing his appointment but there were articles weeks before that saying that the director of football in waiting (due to contractual agreements) was already liaising with the club.

Anyway, we have went on a bit of a tangent from the original point, I can see no logical reason why Mark Allen would say that if it didn't happen and a lot of points people are posting simply contradict each other.

20 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It's pro-Rangers not anti-Rangers.

I don't put up with ex-players bad mouthing the fans, directors lying to us, ex-managers doing their jobs that badly we are a laughing stock, ex-managers creaming us for every penny they can ... I'd never apologise for that, whereas you ya fucking serial abuser will suck the nuts of the Rangers ball boys given a chance.

Basically - you don’t like anyone associated with Rangers, masquerade that as supporting, mind you no surprise when your proud to have been banned ( twice) from Ibrox. 

Merry Christmas 

Just now, Del said:

An article was posted on the Rangers website on 20th June 2017 announcing his appointment but there were articles weeks before that saying that the director of football in waiting (due to contractual agreements) was already liaising with the club.

Anyway, we have went on a bit of a tangent from the original point, I can see no logical reason why Mark Allen would say that if it didn't happen and a lot of points people are posting simply contradict each other.

He didn't start work until well into August. There was a big thing made of it and his first day etc in office. 

It depends on your outlook if you want to just guess he was pulling strings months before that, or not. 

And I'll reitirate my original point that I don't trust anyone with a Rangers tie anymore. Their statement on McInnes' was a load of pish and was just the latest lie from them.

Why's he felt the need to say the manager will have total control on transfers going forward if he didn't think he had some explaining to do there? it doesn't even make the McInnes story untrue either - that could have happened and then once they seen they fucked up decided to change policy and decide the manager get's the final say since they fucked up last time.

You can read or dismiss anything from these pishy statements and interviews depending on your gut feeling and/or outlook on these people and as I say I don't trust anycunt in a Rangers tie one iota.

Just now, Bluepeter9 said:

Basically - you don’t like anyone associated with Rangers, masquerade that as supporting, mind you no surprise when your proud to have been banned ( twice) from Ibrox. 

Merry Christmas 

That's not true. I like Murty, JJ, Mulholland, Jimmy Bell, Morelos, Dorrans, Alves, Windass .. have stuck up some others like Herrera, Fod, Pena and Miller.

The rest of the players I don't hate I just think are talentless and gutless.

The directors and the blazers I hate them all with a fucking passion.

I'm not proud of the bannings I only mention them when quizzed or when it's relevant like you bringing them up - In fact on both occasions the club have acted deplorably with the bans - it's enough to make you sick infact ... but you'd rather call me a fantasist than listen to the truth.

I hope you have a fucking shite Christmas if I'm honest, hope you get food poisoning from the Turkey and end up on life support.

Guy should never have been appointed after the useless cunts appointed caixinha.  They gave it big licks about DOF first then a manager and even manage to fuck that one up..  the situation now with murty on til season end SHOULD have been done rather than appoint a permanent manager BEFORE a dof.  Get that guy in then get his list of managers that he’s had experience of working together with.

2 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

Ah well, it depends on your adviser doesn't it.   You get some - like Allen - who, it seems to me, just like to run through a process, produce a set of options, present a paper, list the pros and cons, maybe even get so bold as to make a recommendation and then fold arms with an 'over to you grown ups to make your decision'.   Job done.  Wait for the decision then move on.

That, it strikes me, is what he is about.  

There are others, maybe bolder or more seasoned or more experienced or just plain more able and committed, who go a few extra miles in working to sell the recommendation to the grown ups, who argue strongly for the top ranking recommendation even when the grown ups are faltering or unconvinced.    Put differently, you work a damn sight harder to champion your recommendation and are a damn sight less willing to take 'no, just appoint the rookie' for an answer.   I'm not detecting that Allen is in that mode of operation.  No, it seems to me he is safely in the camp  of just present options backed by conclusions and recommendations and then turf the papers over the wall to the grown ups to make their decision.   

You are assuming he's that kind of guy . Truth is we don' know , but the fact he seems to have broken ranks from the board with these statements would point to him being his own man . 

Ultimately the decision lies with the board , and if they are determined to go down a certain route it wouldn' matter how persuasive MA could be . 

That obviously leads to the question of what he's doing here if his advice is being ignored.  I'll bet he's probably asking himself that very question right now .