How Come Rangers Don't Bother Marketing Themselves in North America?

Every summer I see that Celtic end up playing friendlies in North America. Rangers end up over here once every few years. Meanwhile, football is growing here quite steadily. I was at a few of the U-20 World Cup games in Edmonton these past few weeks. Saw Celtic shirts fkn everywhere. made me sick. I was the only guy there (that I saw) representing the real Scottish team. I'm convinced that Celtic cater to their fans in NA, and are committed to growing more. Rangers don't seem to give a flying **** about NA.

Am I right, or wrong.

I dont know why they dont but its crazy not to. At times when we are short on money surely trying to increase merchandise sales in other countries would be a good idea?? At least set up online shop for usa with a big warehouse somewhere in the states so american bears dont have to pay crazy sums of money to get shirts sent over. If we sent stuff over in bulk the average shipping cost would be much lower and more people would probably buy shirts.

Celtic recently launched a project to promote themselves through pumping money into training camps for kids. I think Man U and Chelsea have done the same.

To my knowledge, we have done nothing which is hugely disappointing. :(

Coz heez just happy tae see 50.000 in Ibrox every second week

Doesnt have the stomach for anything else coz heez not a true born n bred Rangers man :pipegreen:

When rangers have come to NA they have failed to sell out the stadiums they play in.

That's the same thing with Celtic. But at least they are building in NA and getting exposure. There are many in NA who now believe that the big Scottish club is Celtic, and that's a disgrace.

When rangers have come to NA they have failed to sell out the stadiums they play in.

That's the same thing with Celtic. But at least they are building in NA and getting exposure. There are many in NA who now believe that the big Scottish club is Celtic, and that's a disgrace.

any suggestions of what can be done about this?

I am in Canada, and tried 2 years ago to get the rights to sell/market Gers tops and merchandise here is Canada/North America. I was told a flat out NO, by Rangers marketing directly in Glasgow! Pissed me off. They gave me a name of the Umbro ditributor here in Canada, and he would only sell to me a MINIMUM of 1500 shirts ...ironically enough, the SAME guy is in charge of all the Sellick marketing here....and their Tops are FECKIN EVERYWHERE!!!!

Pisses me right off, and there is FUCK ALL I , or anyone it seems can do! <cr>

This american guy I know says niether Celtic or Rangers are known in america, Celtic go over there but people dont take notice - he says barely anyone even knows who Chelsea are and the only shirts you can really buy without much hastle are Real Madrid and Man Utd

This american guy I know says niether Celtic or Rangers are known in america, Celtic go over there but people dont take notice - he says barely anyone even knows who Chelsea are and the only shirts you can really buy without much hastle are Real Madrid and Man Utd

Your American friend is a little off the mark. Unless he lives in South Dakota.

Certain markets in the US have a large football following.

Here in Canada, a Rangers shirt is one of the most difficult to get, while most sports shops sell celtic shirts.

Your friend speaks the truth. The people who follow European football over here know the leagues and teams. But they already have teams that they cheer. You're not going to make any progress marketing to them. The vast majority of people don't care about the sport though. It's a growing market. But it's a slow growth and it's only growing with my generation and younger, as people are brought up playing more. The older people don't want to know about it. And many of our major sports media personalities are very outspoken about their oposition to any major marketing campaigns, such as the ones we've seen with Beckham or Adu.

The change will occur when an exciting forward or attacking midfielder from the US becomes highly successful with a big club, and ESPN is forced to show some highlights. Or an American team has great success, ie worldcup champs or a deep run, and also has an exciting attack, like this years U20 world cup team did. The general public will never be excited by the great American goal keepers. They want to see scoring and they want to see winning. And will not be a European team or player that gets them interested.

Your American friend is a little off the mark. Unless he lives in South Dakota.

Certain markets in the US have a large football following.

Here in Canada, a Rangers shirt is one of the most difficult to get, while most sports shops sell celtic shirts.

Definitely large markets here and there. But as a whole, I wouldn't say that he's too far off.

Murray wid have dun it if we were a steel company. ? Find it strange murray hasney dun that considerin that he has selt quite a bit o steel to the new china, shanghai an awe that ! Wis wan o the first companies tae offer support ! Get yer money oot murray or get tae fcuk ? :sherlock:

The first thing we need to do is win the title back and build on that. Firmly establish ourselves again as the top team at present and not solely rely on our history. Sign a couple of USA national players and a big european household name. ( Beasley is a start ). Find a way of tapping into youth soccer in the states in such a way that will publicise our brand and provide us with talent for the future. Start a partnership with a charity organisation in the states that gives and sells clothes etc in diprived areas.- Donating Rangers clothing and kits etc, could include donations from fans, past season kits etc. Kids could be growing up wearing Rangers tops and the club name would get a lot more recognition , club would also be praised for its support and generousity. Internet marketing - I firmly believe that many potential football enthusiasts in the USA would find Rangers an exciting and attractive proposition if we could get their attention. Our history and culture combined with our success and passion would find much support and enthusiasm amongst many Americans, its how we get their attention to convince them, thats the hard part. A massive percentage of citizens have internet access and we need a way of getting people to a place online where we convert them to Rangers. Although a sensitive one maybe, but the USA is made up of a significant amount of protestants and is there a way of sensitively and creatively promoting this connection a bit more? It certainly works for some others. Supporters clubs in N america / canada could start a renewed drive to promote and recruit Rangers fans by coming up with ways of attracting support. Rangers should organise annual stateside trips to play varied opposition every year. What about an OLD FIRM match played in the states? Would surely generate enormous interest for both clubs? Mailshots, leaflets, Television advertising, billboards. There is so much more we could and should be doing. On paper we should be a more attractive proposition than most other clubs, but to date we, and the USA just dont realise it.

It is shocking and frustrating at the prices that have to be paid to obtain Rangers gear anywhere outwith the UK.

Also talking about Murray doing more with his steel business. Why is Rangers major sponsor not his Steel Company?

It is shocking and frustrating at the prices that have to be paid to obtain Rangers gear anywhere outwith the UK.

Also talking about Murray doing more with his steel business. Why is Rangers major sponsor not his Steel Company?

Pure greed make you guys pay over the top. Rangers could surely absorb some of the postage expense. Another case of abusing people for supporting their club. Should be encouraging people from Australia etc instead of takin advantage. Big market for them there and the likes of USA, Canada but the Rangers management still live in the days of the Raj and think you are in a universe far away ? :sherlock:

It is absolutely maddening. I thought when Reyna was signed that the time had really come for all of us here, but typically no one thought to build off of it. Now we have Beasely which is another golden opportunity for marketing, and still I'll bet f-all gets done about it again. As FISH would say - gets your heids oot of the sand boys, and open your eyes to the possiblilities!!

Could it just be the case that theres more tims in North America?

More of an Irish than Celtic thing,the sad thing being over sixty % of people in the USA claiming Irish heritage,are actually decendents of the Ulster/Scots

(Changed their name to Scots Irish)and lost their identity.Sad eh? :(

It is absolutely maddening. I thought when Reyna was signed that the time had really come for all of us here, but typically no one thought to build off of it. Now we have Beasely which is another golden opportunity for marketing, and still I'll bet f-all gets done about it again. As FISH would say - gets your heids oot of the sand boys, and open your eyes to the possiblilities!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a post a few weeks ago when I asked just this question. I asked what Reyna was doing now as I could see him as a "name" figurehead to head up a marketing department in the US of A. Idoubt if he is a marketeer himself,but his reputation as USA captain and the fact that he has now recommended Beasley and now this new guy Lapiro?

Reyna still has a big love of the Gers and he gives us a bit of a head start over our competitors. Nakamura anyone?

After many years of Irish American propaganda,Americans are becoming aware that there are more protestant Irish

in America than Catholics. I do not suggest for one minute we go down that road,but it does give us an "edge" as they say themselves. For too many years everyone just accepted Irish figures regarding the States only now are Americans becoming aware that its mostly a con like everything else from Oireland. Its a big big market out there and we have the oportunity to get in early. Murray get the digit out.