What has happened to Rangers jerseys?

Danny

I remember in the 9IAR era, and even in the DA era the jerseys seemed fitting for our club.

They were the right shade of blue, had a uniformity about them and generally oozed class. The only dodgy one was the ntl one with the extremely lengthy sponsor name:

rangers3654arh5.jpg

For years our jerseys were something to be viewed with respect, to symbolise Rangers.

glasgow20blue20maincn5.jpg

04225hl7.gif

But increasingly in the past 5 years, our tops have become more and more insipid, looking more like generic sports jerseys than the genuine Rangers article.

For 2 seasons we had the really rather feeble Diadora effort, the one we won the 51st with:

mediumpeterlovenkrandsjp2.jpg

... and while the 05/06 jersey was a cracker:

050620rangers20homedf3.jpg

... it was an exception which was followed by an absolutely ROTTEN effort last season with an Umbro badge which looked like it had been randomly stuck on during a game of Pin the Tail:

rangersboydlpv2.jpg

And now this upcoming year we have an almost identical one to last year bar the collar:

829673743nv1.gif

With a totally uninspired away top which looks like a training top or 3rd top.

What the blazes has happend to our once brilliant jerseys? Why are they no longer representing what this club means? They look like any old top, not Rangers.

I really liked the Jerseys we played in During the Advocaat era, since then it seems less and less effort has been put into an original design. Loved the one with the blue white and red shevrons on the sleeves that we had a while back.

I remember in the 9IAR era, and even in the DA era the jerseys seemed fitting for our club.

They were the right shade of blue, had a uniformity about them and generally oozed class. The only dodgy one was the ntl one with the extremely lengthy sponsor name:

rangers3654arh5.jpg

For years our jerseys were something to be viewed with respect, to symbolise Rangers.

glasgow20blue20maincn5.jpg

04225hl7.gif

But increasingly in the past 5 years, our tops have become more and more insipid, looking more like generic sports jerseys than the genuine Rangers article.

For 2 seasons we had the really rather feeble Diadora effort, the one we won the 51st with:

mediumpeterlovenkrandsjp2.jpg

... and while the 05/06 jersey was a cracker:

050620rangers20homedf3.jpg

... it was an exception which was followed by an absolutely ROTTEN effort last season with an Umbro badge which looked like it had been randomly stuck on during a game of Pin the Tail:

rangersboydlpv2.jpg

And now this upcoming year we have an almost identical one to last year bar the collar:

829673743nv1.gif

With a totally uninspired away top which looks like a training top or 3rd top.

What the blazes has happend to our once brilliant jerseys? Why are they no longer representing what this club means? They look like any old top, not Rangers.

I've got to agree,our jersey's have looked and felt cheep and crappy the last four,five years.just about what we saw on the field also,eh? :(

I think that the material has actually changed really well with the times. These new light tops are marvellous if you ask me (being an athlete myself and having worn some horrible stuff). As for the designs, I agree that they have been lackluster...keep the material, can the designs...

They were the right shade of blue...

Talk to some older Bears and they'll disagree with that. My old man was one of them...it was a pet subject with him. Funny enough I was at my ma's last week and the carpet fitter (a very old Bear and family friend) was banging on about how the strip used to be a lot darker and that we should return to that. Personally I'd love to see it. I don't like light blue (detest sky blue) and my favourite kit is Scotland/Dundee's. Would love to see us nearer that than what we have now. See the blue on the my Union flag avatar...like that, or even a tinge darker.

Unfortunately, money talks nowdays and potential income for JJB and the club are all that matters when the design is considered...

I'd prefer a retro-style as below but usually it's the younger generation that are the bulk of the buyers and they prefer more unusual, colourful designs to us auld yins... ;)

rangersretrohome.jpg

Unfortunately, money talks nowdays and potential income for JJB and the club are all that matters when the design is considered...

I'd prefer a retro-style as below but usually it's the younger generation that are the bulk of the buyers and they prefer more unusual, colourful designs to us auld yins... ;)

rangersretrohome.jpg

This top available Frankie, or is it just a mirage! :drool:

I like a more retro style, it's almost like they are trying too hard with the current designs.

And as for the colour - it should ALWAYS be ROYAL BLUE

hello hello, how do you do?

we are the boys in ROYAL BLUE

where e'er we go

we'll fear no foe

we'll keep the blue flag flying high......

I like the top in that pic Frankie - I don't like the light blue Rangers tops are plain Royal Blue with white shorts and black socks with red tops. The socks have been changing in the past few years thats bothering me. White and blue or plain black socks ARE NOT rangers socks ! Look at that pic of boydy - The socks there have Red heels - Thats a load of rubbish ! Red tops is Rangers and thats that.

rangersretrohome.jpg

Hope not! I'm only 21, but that top is superb.

rangersretrohome.jpg

This top available Frankie, or is it just a mirage! :drool:

This is the style that should be kept, Royal Blue V with white trimmings, Rangers Football Club evolved to this, make you look like a football team and puts the fear factor into others. The advertising should be made more subtle it takes away the look. In fact that Carling logo is one heap of sh-t. And if anythin should be downsized it should be that ! :sherlock:

They were the right shade of blue...

Talk to some older Bears and they'll disagree with that. My old man was one of them...it was a pet subject with him. Funny enough I was at my ma's last week and the carpet fitter (a very old Bear and family friend) was banging on about how the strip used to be a lot darker and that we should return to that. Personally I'd love to see it. I don't like light blue (detest sky blue) and my favourite kit is Scotland/Dundee's. Would love to see us nearer that than what we have now. See the blue on the my Union flag avatar...like that, or even a tinge darker.

I recall you and I debating this before.

I actually totally agree - I prefer the darker blue - it seems purer rather than the washed-out blue we get today.

The thing is, I also seem to remember the jerseys during the 9IAR period being not at all far off that shade - the darker one, that is. It might not have been genuinely close to navy blue, but it was darker than the current day efforts.

I don't know why the colour has become so light in recent years. Or, for that matter, why, by and large, the designs have been so chronically poor.

rangersretrohome.jpg

I like the colour, and bar that blasted Umbro symbol being on the shoulder blade again, the design is good. Simple, but good. And if I am not mistaken, it's almost a carbon copy of Barca 72.

I recall you and I debating this before.

I actually totally agree - I prefer the darker blue - it seems purer rather than the washed-out blue we get today.

The thing is, I also seem to remember the jerseys during the 9IAR period being not at all far off that shade - the darker one, that is. It might not have been genuinely close to navy blue, but it was darker than the current day efforts.

I don't know why the colour has become so light in recent years. Or, for that matter, why, by and large, the designs have been so chronically poor.

No idea. Would love to have a more distinctive kit. Something that is ours, as the likes of Arsenal, Ajax, Milan, Barca, Inter... and dare I say it...Celtic...OK, others wear those kits or similar but they are associated with those clubs. From more than a few yards ours could be a myriad of clubs.

rangersretrohome.jpg

I like the colour, and bar that blasted Umbro symbol being on the shoulder blade again, the design is good. Simple, but good. And if I am not mistaken, it's almost a carbon copy of Barca 72.

No this is the strip pre Barcelona style, we changed from the above strip to the round neck and badge (Barcelona style) in the 67-68 season if I'm not mistaken. :sherlock:

rangersretrohome.jpg

Im 18 and I'd deffo buy this top! I also like the retro look, I think these strips for the last 2 seasons hav been terrible. More like this and I'd be happy!