Alan Hutton, Carlos Cuellar, and a certain Barry Barry

Danny

We can take a lot from today. I don't subscribe to the meaningless friendlies notion, and I ain't sure I agree with Smith that Ajax and Chelsea were not part of the pre-season games. With that in mind we can be rightfully unsure of what we take from the Germany games, and a lot more positive in light of the recent 2 biggies.

But above all else, 3 players stood out today remarkably in light of the illustrious opponents. Rangers might be a week and a half ahead of Chelsea in prep, but this was by no means Chelsea's first pre-season game, so fitness cannot be used as an excuse.

And while the overall Rangers display was pretty commendable to say the least, 3 players eminently stood out for us.

Alan Hutton

His progress continues, and continuing it for 6 months (some would say a year) goes to show this is not just a temporary increase in form. Today his first half display was exceptional, and he simply made mincemeat out of the extremely decent Glen Johnson. He was a player who looked totally at ease with the level of opponent, and there is no competition in the FB position in the SPL. I would go as far as to say, on current progress, he could well be one of the top 10 FB's in Britain. And he is getting better. What an asset, and it's terrific that he's signed a long term deal.

Carlos Cuellar

Has settled in fantastically and taken his new team completely in his stride. Already looking a total bargain at £2.7M. Has great pace, strength, balance on the ball, and is utterly superb positionally and his challenges are impeccably timed. Oh, and his aerial power is top notch. It might only be pre-season but he did it in La Liga, and he is now doing it here. What a great signing - maybe the best defender in Scotland already?

Barry Ferguson

There is little left to say about this guy. Our Captain and the best midfielder in the country by a mile, and while he has some (misguided) detractors, world class displays from him time and time again go to show what an asset he is to us. Say what you like about him, you'll be singing his name when he produces great performances at the highest levels. And if you still don't see what the fuss is about, then that's your loss (tu)

By no means are the above the only good players we have; Weir, Boyd, Thomson, Beasley, JCD, Buffel, Smith and Gow ain't too bad either.

The current Rangers team has a real chance this season. A real chance.

Agreed. with everything said above. I reckon Carlos Cuellar is already proving to be a top-notch signing and, even better, he's stated that he's not using Rangers as a stepping stone, he signed for Rangers because he wants to play for Rangers which is refreshing to hear from any footballer in this day and age.

We can take a lot from today. I don't subscribe to the meaningless friendlies notion, and I ain't sure I agree with Smith that Ajax and Chelsea were not part of the pre-season games. With that in mind we can be rightfully unsure of what we take from the Germany games, and a lot more positive in light of the recent 2 biggies.

But above all else, 3 players stood out today remarkably in light of the illustrious opponents. Rangers might be a week and a half ahead of Chelsea in prep, but this was by no means Chelsea's first pre-season game, so fitness cannot be used as an excuse.

And while the overall Rangers display was pretty commendable to say the least, 3 players eminently stood out for us.

Alan Hutton

His progress continues, and continuing it for 6 months (some would say a year) goes to show this is not just a temporary increase in form. Today his first half display was exceptional, and he simply made mincemeat out of the extremely decent Glen Johnson. He was a player who looked totally at ease with the level of opponent, and there is no competition in the FB position in the SPL. I would go as far as to say, on current progress, he could well be one of the top 10 FB's in Britain. And he is getting better. What an asset, and it's terrific that he's signed a long term deal.

Carlos Cuellar

Has settled in fantastically and taken his new team completely in his stride. Already looking a total bargain at £2.7M. Has great pace, strength, balance on the ball, and is utterly superb positionally and his challenges are impeccably timed. Oh, and his aerial power is top notch. It might only be pre-season but he did it in La Liga, and he is now doing it here. What a great signing - maybe the best defender in Scotland already?

Barry Ferguson

There is little left to say about this guy. Our Captain and the best midfielder in the country by a mile, and while he has some (misguided) detractors, world class displays from him time and time again go to show what an asset he is to us. Say what you like about him, you'll be singing his name when he produces great performances at the highest levels. And if you still don't see what the fuss is about, then that's your loss (tu)

By no means are the above the only good players we have; Weir, Boyd, Thomson, Beasley, JCD, Buffel, Smith and Gow ain't too bad either.

good post Danny....our defence with the start of this season is light years ahead compared to this time last year.

Alan Hutton

Carlos Cuellar

Barry Ferguson

good post Danny....our defence with the start of this season is light years ahead compared to this time last year.

agreed, and seeing championship defenders going for upwards of £5M. i believe we have firmly secured a bargain for cuellar! i was impressed with svensson at the start of last season but not as much as I am with cuellar! Alan and barry were stands outs and i also felt another good mention should go to mculloch who performed well adding a bit more strength in the team!

I'm really like Cuellar thus far been the best signing for me!

Hutton hopefully can continue the form from the last 6 months of last season.

As for Barry on his game he is a brilliant player.

Good post Danny....

Decent performance today. We looked solid for the most part in defence and dangerous on the counter. Novo's goal was a beauty and although Sebo's took a deflection he did OK again during his cameo.

It's starting to come together and with the chairman confirming that we still intend to spend around another £5million (Placente, Whittaker, Cousin and/or Naismith) I think we can be cautiously optimistic.

Today was a great result and one which should boost the players and fans morale. However, we did have a few excellent wins last year and I can't remember the amount of times I thought that's the corner turned after good results.

Tuesday will be a stern test and it's imperative we get our season off to a good start. Not only that we have to achieve the kind of winning consistency that has been missing from almost every player over the last 2 years.

Must admit though I'm feeling as positive as I have in a long time. Or maybe that's just the cider... ;)

NOT ONE ARGUMENT?!

Buffel's shite! :craphead:

:angry2: No he is not, played in his correct position he's one of the most creative players at Ibrox!

I'm only kidding MC! :lol:

NOT ONE ARGUMENT?!

:angry2: No he is not, played in his correct position he's one of the most creative players at Ibrox!

I was simply getting my arguement across before it turns into a debate!

NOT ONE ARGUMENT?!

Aye, quite right! :craphead:

NOT ONE ARGUMENT?!

Aye, quite right! :craphead:

^_^

Great original post Danny. :)

Danke. It was shameless optimism and getting caught up in the hysteria of yesterday's display and win. And I enjoyed every second of it (tu)

Danny,

I think you might be getting a bit carried away on the euphoria of yesterdays win. It was only a friendly and only a week after we looked decidedly average against Falkirk. The 3 players you singled out all played very well.

We should not get too excited on the basis of a "friendly", although after the huge disappointments of the last couple of seasons it is easy to do.

Glass half empty loyal.