***The Official St Josephs v Rangers Match Thread***

32 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Jones is a more direct and better option than anything we had last year as a backup (Kent might come back too), Stewart gives us a bit of an X Factor off the bench, Ojo has looked like he’s more willing to shoot from range than anybody we had last season and Aribo will give us something we haven’t had in midfield in years.

It’s early days but on paper I think we have far more options and ways to mix it up than we did last season.

Think for Jones and it showed with Kent at end of last season, if playing inside as opposed to out on wing, against the teams with ten behind ball, it’s not about being direct it’s more about being clever and knowing where to find that space and also being able to pick a pass/timing of runs..

Kent in space on the wings was far more of a threat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Jones is a more direct and better option than anything we had last year as a backup (Kent might come back too), Stewart gives us a bit of an X Factor off the bench, Ojo has looked like he’s more willing to shoot from range than anybody we had last season and Aribo will give us something we haven’t had in midfield in years.

It’s early days but on paper I think we have far more options and ways to mix it up than we did last season.

We can certainly mix it up with different styles from the bench at least, and no denying we have more options.

Remain to be convinced that the likes of Jones, Hastie and Stewart giving competition for places is enough to create a 10 point swing from last season. 

Well 4-0 away win against anyone is a sound result. The team is still a few weeks away from being 100% match fit and I’d expect another striker to join before the end of the window with or without Morelos.

in the 1st half we looked out of ideas but as we’ve seen nearly every game on plastic is a dreadful watch so can only imagine what it’s oike to play on it when your used to grass. To compare it to games last year where we couldn’t score and say it’s because of  not having that special player etc doesn’t wash.  We missed loads of sitters last year in games we drew.

Decent enough all round result last night ...... I think  we just wore them down as the second half proved goal wise .... some promising individual performances from Barisic .... Ojo .... Aribo and Jones ..... still early days fitness wise but short of a catastrophe we are into the next qualifying round .... we are in a better position than we were last season with the majority of the team knowing each other now ..... which should make it easier for any new player coming in to settle quicker ..... not going overboard as last night was against a much lower standard of opponent ... but a win's a win and it helps.

:UK:

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Decent enough all round result last night ...... I think  we just wore them down as the second half proved goal wise .... some promising individual performances from Barisic .... Ojo .... Aribo and Jones ..... still early days fitness wise but short of a catastrophe we are into the next qualifying round .... we are in a better position than we were last season with the majority of the team knowing each other now ..... which should make it easier for any new player coming in to settle quicker ..... not going overboard as last night was against a much lower standard of opponent ... but a win's a win and it helps.

Best Post of this thread Bobby, simplistic of fact and an exact analysis of who, what and where.

45 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

That'd be some catastrophe, St Joseph's taking 5 off us at Ibrox!

47 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

That field didn’t help us last night either.  Part of the issue in the first half but got to grips in second. 

1 minute ago, Klos' Glove said:

👍

True mate .... it should never happen .... but I still remember the Progress game and how that result went .... not forgetting all the points we lost last season that cost us the league ..... so taking nothing for granted.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

👍

True mate .... it should never happen .... but I still remember the Progress game and how that result went .... not forgetting all the points we lost last season that cost us the league ..... so taking nothing for granted.

But 5 mate, come on.

1 minute ago, Klos' Glove said:

But 5 mate, come on.

:p:

As I said mate ..... IN BOLD ...... it should never happen ..... and I believe the tie is now over and the Home game will be just a formality .... hence me using the tongue in cheek term "short of a catastrophe" in context to this qualifier.

Clear enough now ?

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

As I said mate ..... IN BOLD ...... it should never happen ..... and I believe the tie is now over and the Home game will be just a formality .... hence me using the tongue in cheek term "short of a catastrophe" in context to this qualifier.

Clear enough now ?

Thanks mate that'll do me.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

Clear enough now ?

Just seen you through your window Bobby ,   :headwall: 

2 hours ago, Klos' Glove said:

4 plus penalties. Now I've got my own nerves jangling. It probably gives Gerard an opportunity for a little rotation as he decides who is going on loan and prepares for two matches per week until at least October -fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived