Gerrard - What He's Done and What He Can Still Do

20 hours ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

I am one Bear who is hoping to hell that Gerrard doesn't walk at the end of this season (or before).

If he does, I think we will lose ground and may even enter a period of several years where we are scrapping for 2nd with different run-of-the-mill managers. As it stands, the disappointment of this season is so great because we have actually been toe-to-toe with the scum, we've  surpassed them in Europe (with a more difficult route), and pretty much everyone in Scotland and beyond has stopped talking about "the gap" and now EXPECTS us to be challenging them for the league title. That was obviously NOT the case under Warburton and even less so under the sham that was Pedro.

The fact is that Gerrard has refreshed and added kudos to the Rangers brand (helping us financially), made us more attractive to players, and most importantly he has (until recently) given us back the genuine belief that we can again be the best team in the league. Gerrard coming into Rangers told the rest of Scottish football that the banter years were over and the lame cries of "you're not Rangers anymore" only served to highlight our detractors bitterness and low IQ (not to mention inferiority complex).

Up until January everything was going to plan. We had made clear progress last season and built on it this season. We could go up against the scum and fancy ourselves to turn them over. We were getting back to where we belong - on top.

On any other day (and with better refereeing) we would already have the League Cup under our belt. And if you want to talk about character, look at how the team bounced back from that disappointment to dominate them at the piggery. And look again to Europe and the way our team and our manager turned around a seemingly hopeless task to win against Braga with skill, flair and resilience both home and away.  

Yes, of course results and silverware are what matters for Rangers. But if we keep faith with Gerrard I personally believe they will come.

I believe Gerrard can get it right next season and bring us 55.

Even at his lowest ebb being interviewed on Saturday evening he conducted himself with class, took responsibility, and apologised to the fans who he said have been incredible from day one. It was obvious that he was genuinely devastated (for himself and for us). My reaction was to support him.

There is still a defiance and a pride to Gerrard as the Rangers manager. I believe that this is more than just a stepping stone to establish himself for the Liverpool job.  He appreciates our passion and unswerving loyalty to our club and he desperately wants to lead us back to the top.

I think we should show that same loyalty to him now.

Fucking yes yes yes. Post of the decade!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steven Gerrard has 1 more year to deliver trophies.  Success will come down to better recruitment,  selling the weak players and those who do not want to be at Rangers, more ruthless management to avoid players turning up in games when they feel like it  and demonstrating an ability to change tactics/make substitutions when required . Quite a list. 

17 hours ago, Gaffbear said:

No but I think hes brought us on so far in 18 months .. 

For talking sake say we win every game from now till seasons end and just lose out by the odd point and reach Europa league semi or final . That major progress .

If we crumble and lose more and more then he might just have to go but he must turn it round now 

Turning it around might be the worst thing that could happen to him, we all know guys like tav, ojo etc aren't good enough, but if they win every league game between now and end of season he might end up keeping them 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Turning it around might be the worst thing that could happen to him, we all know guys like tav, ojo etc aren't good enough, but if they win every league game between now and end of season he might end up keeping them 

I doubt Ojo will be here .Must be a clause saying he needs x amount of minutes this season.

Now its confirmed he's staying on. He's got 1 more season to deliver silverware. 

He's getting a chance no other Rangers manager has had in 60+ years after 2 seasons without trophies.  

If we go a 3rd successive season without there can be no further argument about looking for a new manager. 

Summer recruitment has got to be spot on. Actually get quailty over quantity. 

Tactically got to be more flexible and he's got to be ruthless in getting rid of players who have failed. 

I really hope I can come back to this thread in a year and ram it back down everyone's throat who has said he's finished etc. We can still technically win the league and we all know TLB is prone to a wee meltdown so I'm not lying down now 👍 The weekends result was really tough to take, work was a fucking nightmare with they smug cunts, but all is not lost. Let's see what kind of reaction we get until the end of the season. 

7 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Now its confirmed he's staying on. He's got 1 more season to deliver silverware. 

He's getting a chance no other Rangers manager has had in 60+ years after 2 seasons without trophies.  

If we go a 3rd successive season without there can be no further argument about looking for a new manager. 

Summer recruitment has got to be spot on. Actually get quailty over quantity. 

Tactically got to be more flexible and he's got to be ruthless in getting rid of players who have failed. 

Wilson might be the real difference between the next window and previous ones - especially in relation to the quality /  quantity thing.

1 hour ago, TdRFC said:

I really hope I can come back to this thread in a year and ram it back down everyone's throat who has said he's finished etc. We can still technically win the league and we all know TLB is prone to a wee meltdown so I'm not lying down now 👍 The weekends result was really tough to take, work was a fucking nightmare with they smug cunts, but all is not lost. Let's see what kind of reaction we get until the end of the season. 

That's a good point mate and an opportunity missed. Lemon would have imploded if we'd taken the advantage and pulled clear in the league. We let him off the hook unfortunately.

I'm hopeful Gerrard now understands things need to change fundamentally and that includes certain positions in the team.  If he can make the right changes and drop a few favourites then its game on again imo.

Archived