Gerrard - What He's Done and What He Can Still Do

4 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

That’s my point. We aren’t struggling in Europe because it’s actual football being played and that suits us.

The failure to adapt to the kick and rush hammer throwing shite in Scotland is the problem as it’s where we play.

Guys like Ojo are a waste of time as they are easily bullied up here. An empty shirt. 

Guys like Greg Docherty, Jamie Murphy and Ross McCrorie would have made a much better bench at Tynecastle than guys that aren’t up to the physicality up here. 👍

defo needs to mix it up albeit it was working before the winter break 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a massive time in our history. Do we keep Gerrard, hope he turns it around to finish the season strong and give him funds in the summer to stop the 10? 

Or do we somehow scrape the funds together to sack him and his team, somehow find funds to find a new management team and perhaps another rebuild going into the season with a manager and players that may or may not adapt to the league straight away and be 10+ points behind by the time they do effectively gift wrapping them another title? 

I don't like option B much tbh. What you can say about Gerrard is that he has improved us both in Europe and domestically. Its unfortunate for him and us that they've spent £20 million on an already title winning squad and very much look the part In their mission for 9IAR. He's also very fortunate that this is a time where we aren't cash rich ourselves and that we certainly can't afford to be fucking about with changes right now with next season so important.

The pros to keeping Gerrard outweigh the cons still, now that I've calmed down since Saturday I can see that. 

A start to a strong end to the season is a convincing win on Wednesday night. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

That’s my point. We aren’t struggling in Europe because it’s actual football being played and that suits us.

The failure to adapt to the kick and rush hammer throwing shite in Scotland is the problem as it’s where we play.

Guys like Ojo are a waste of time as they are easily bullied up here. An empty shirt. 

Guys like Greg Docherty, Jamie Murphy and Ross McCrorie would have made a much better bench at Tynecastle than guys that aren’t up to the physicality up here. 👍

So is the answer then to adopt a two team strategy. one focusing for success in domestic games, the other focusing for success in Europe?

4 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

So is the answer then to adopt a two team strategy. one focusing for success in domestic games, the other focusing for success in Europe?

You don't get to pick and choose what game you are in.  You need to adapt and in Scotland we put out too many five a side players.  We had zero physicality against Hearts.

6 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

We should be playing to cope with both. Footballers with ability who can handle themselves shouldn’t be a massive problem. We seem to have bought some amount of shirkers. 👍

6 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

We should be playing to cope with both. Footballers with ability who can handle themselves shouldn’t be a massive problem. We seem to have bought some amount of shirkers. 👍

I see your point they should be able to cope with both. Would having a two team strategy not help youth or players sitting on the fringe get more game time thus improving their performance? 

The wee Beale interview in the Record is pretty spot on for me. We need to have a better mix of players that can play European football and Scottish, which as Beale points out are entirely different technically and in terms of how you have to go about things tactically. He basically says our preferred high press doesn't work and it's hard for technical players to flourish for various reasons.

Need to peel the onion in that case. Bring a better mix of player and find a different tactical outlook and setup for Scotland.

20 minutes ago, Inigo said:

The wee Beale interview in the Record is pretty spot on for me. We need to have a better mix of players that can play European football and Scottish, which as Beale points out are entirely different technically and in terms of how you have to go about things tactically. He basically says our preferred high press doesn't work and it's hard for technical players to flourish for various reasons.

Need to peel the onion in that case. Bring a better mix of player and find a different tactical outlook and setup for Scotland.

Difficult to buy the one about different types of players for different opponents I mean we have had one draw in 3 games against Hearts meanwhile beat Braga home and away now how do you think Braga would get on against Hearts? I just can't see them having any problem with a team that has been rooted at the bottom of our league most if the season.  I wish I could see it some other way but I just think the attitude stinks 

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

can you post the interview please?

We knew that he would have gaps in his managerial toolkit, being a rookie. The gamble was that the potential upsides made it worthwhile anyway, and I still think that's possibly the case - his good bits are very good imho.

But for the life of me I don't understand why we haven't got on the books some old hand, who knows the domestic game, to fill in some of the blanks we knew he'd have.

6 hours ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

I am one Bear who is hoping to hell that Gerrard doesn't walk at the end of this season (or before).

If he does, I think we will lose ground and may even enter a period of several years where we are scrapping for 2nd with different run-of-the-mill managers. As it stands, the disappointment of this season is so great because we have actually been toe-to-toe with the scum, we've  surpassed them in Europe (with a more difficult route), and pretty much everyone in Scotland and beyond has stopped talking about "the gap" and now EXPECTS us to be challenging them for the league title. That was obviously NOT the case under Warburton and even less so under the sham that was Pedro.

The fact is that Gerrard has refreshed and added kudos to the Rangers brand (helping us financially), made us more attractive to players, and most importantly he has (until recently) given us back the genuine belief that we can again be the best team in the league. Gerrard coming into Rangers told the rest of Scottish football that the banter years were over and the lame cries of "you're not Rangers anymore" only served to highlight our detractors bitterness and low IQ (not to mention inferiority complex).

Up until January everything was going to plan. We had made clear progress last season and built on it this season. We could go up against the scum and fancy ourselves to turn them over. We were getting back to where we belong - on top.

On any other day (and with better refereeing) we would already have the League Cup under our belt. And if you want to talk about character, look at how the team bounced back from that disappointment to dominate them at the piggery. And look again to Europe and the way our team and our manager turned around a seemingly hopeless task to win against Braga with skill, flair and resilience both home and away.  

Yes, of course results and silverware are what matters for Rangers. But if we keep faith with Gerrard I personally believe they will come.

I believe Gerrard can get it right next season and bring us 55.

Even at his lowest ebb being interviewed on Saturday evening he conducted himself with class, took responsibility, and apologised to the fans who he said have been incredible from day one. It was obvious that he was genuinely devastated (for himself and for us). My reaction was to support him.

There is still a defiance and a pride to Gerrard as the Rangers manager. I believe that this is more than just a stepping stone to establish himself for the Liverpool job.  He appreciates our passion and unswerving loyalty to our club and he desperately wants to lead us back to the top.

I think we should show that same loyalty to him now.

Dream on

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

I said all that last year.

Cut through the shit its really simple Gerrard needs to work out and fast why have we went from title favourites in January to season done first of March.

Can he take us where we want to go. Lets remember this man has never won a league title before he needs to prove he can deliver one.

This 

Cut all the bullshit. Blaming Dubai is fucking mental. 

In black and white we have a manager with zero experience. ZERO!

Whilst he may habe overachieved in europe were all sitting here last year saying give him another shot but he needs to A) Win a trophy B) at least put up a title challenge c) Learn how to beat teams who park the bus.

He has failed in all those areas.

Somehow bears are now content with "oh we have improved on last year".

Another trophyless season watching them break records that we will never hear the end of at the hands of a youth coach.

16 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I see your point they should be able to cope with both. Would having a two team strategy not help youth or players sitting on the fringe get more game time thus improving their performance? 

I don’t think a two team strategy would help the club to be honest. Certain players knowing they won’t get a game in certain competitions won’t do them any good.

Our players need to man up. They get paid a fortune. The least they should give in return is 100%.

As far as youth is concerned they should be getting more encouragement but sadly Liverpool’s youth are more likely to play for us than ours are. 

12 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

can you post the interview please?

It's very short. Might be part of something longer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/4-reasons-Rangers-struggled-domestically-21603020.amp

Some folk won't like the source, so they can feel free to c and p.

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I don’t think a two team strategy would help the club to be honest. Certain players knowing they won’t get a game in certain competitions won’t do them any good.

Our players need to man up. They get paid a fortune. The least they should give in return is 100%.

As far as youth is concerned they should be getting more encouragement but sadly Liverpool’s youth are more likely to play for us than ours are. 

Again I see your point. Seems like we'll have to have a big clear out in the summer. I thought a two team strategy might help us in domestic games and get our youth playing. Thanks for your reply's. 

12 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's very short. Might be part of something longer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/4-reasons-Rangers-struggled-domestically-21603020.amp

Some folk won't like the source, so they can feel free to c and p.

Thanks, I'll c&p  :tu:

Rangers coach Michael Beale candidly answered the question on many lips this week when he gave an interview to Rangers TV on Saturday.

Since the winter break, the Ibrox club have suffered a significant form blip, losing to Hearts and Kilmarnock while dropping points to Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

In Europe, however, they continued their excellent form with home and away wins to Portuguese form team Braga. This prompted many Rangers fans to ask how their men can beat the Portuguese but struggle against a significantly inferior team such as the Perth Saints?

Beale, a highly rated coach who has worked in South America and at elite Premier League clubs, feels that the answer is multifaceted citing a different style of refereeing, the technical make-up of the squad and the long-ball culture of the Scottish game.

In comments that are likely to be poorly received in the notoriously defensive Scottish coaching fraternity, he said: "The style of play is very similar to the Premier League or the Champions League or continental leagues.

"Not many other places play football like that. I think long balls lead to a lot of unpredictability in football and in the game you take the press off the first pass. And if the first pass goes into your 18-yard box as it does in Scotland then it's difficult.

"I think the games are refereed in a certain way and I think the games (in Europe) are played less physically and more technically.

"That suits a lot of the players we have."

Record Sport has taken a look at his key points to see if Beale's positions have any merit.

Technically adept players

Steven Gerrard has carefully moulded Rangers into a possession-oriented team and so far this season they have the highest level of ball retention in the league with an average of 67 per cent. They have taken care to recruit players with ability on the ball and guys such as Joe Aribo, Ianis Hagi and Ryan Kent all have a high level of technical skill. While they should be able to use this to devastating effect in the Premiership against defenders of lower quality, they are often crowded out by the excellent organisation of Scottish coaches who set up in a deep-lying block against both Glasgow teams. This represents a new challenge for players coming into our game as they face the pressure to provide the inspiration to break down stubborn defences who play with a cup final mentality almost every time they go on the pitch. In Europe, conditions much more akin to what players will be used to prevail as teams attack and defend in equal measure. Kent in particular thrives in space which is why he has stood out and caused damage against celtic and in Europe. In short, a good few of these players are game-changers but are still adapting to the unique environment of being playing in Glasgow. This won't happen overnight.

Verdict: Correct

Long balls

Beale most certainly has a point. Long balls do introduce unpredictability and an element of chaos into the play and Scotland has more than most leagues in the world. Our league average is currently 1507.83 per team, a number that is far in excess of any of the most popular set-ups in European football. Even our cousins across the border in England trend more towards their European neighbours than matching us with 1277.65 long balls. Even a league considered a traditionally more physically robust competition like the Danish Superliga has far fewer long balls, averaging 1149.36. At the other end of the scale, Portugal, home of Rangers' vanquished foes Braga and Porto, average 993.72.

Refereeing

This is a hard one to measure properly as the application of the laws of the game are largely subjective. Culturally there is no doubt that strange British notions linger on, such as your first tackle shouldn't be a booking, where they have no place in the rules. Most seasoned observers of Scottish football would reference an obvious empirical difference between the level of unchecked physicality that's allowed to go unchallenged in our game compared with Europe.

Stats gurus use a metric for challenge intensity, measuring 'duels, tackles and interceptions per minute of opponent possession'. In this, Scotland is again ranked significantly higher than most European leagues with a measurement of 6.82. That's in contrast to England at 6, Italy at 5.81, Spain at 6.09, Portugal at 6.19 and Denmark at 5.85. Record Sport had to go as far afield as South America to find a level higher than Scotland with Argentina, perhaps unsurprisingly if you've ever seen footage of the league, ranking at 7.4.

Game-plan

When Gerrard and Beale arrived in Scotland they devised a game-plan based on aggressive pressing that seems modelled on the current Liverpool team. This has worked a treat in Europe and against celtic (at times) but against packed defences it has limitations. Looking back to Walter Smith's nine-in-row side, they were often taken apart in Europe despite having an incredible array of players. Smith understood the domestic challenge better than anyone and created a team that was designed to pick apart Scottish sides that were camped in. Players like Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup were afforded a freedom that meant inspiration was in good supply when the going got tough. But when the team went into Europe against even mildly more tactically sophisticated sides the balance shifted and the entire team verged off it's axis. This is why average teams like Auxerre and Steaua Bucharest were able to beat such expensively assembled Ibrox sides. The current outfit have the exact opposite problem. They are a team first and foremost, with every player assigned a specific function. With a lack of creativity in the midfield areas by design, Rangers filter much of their creative play through the full-backs and two number 10s. If these players struggle to create or key men get injured, problems follow. This is exacerbated in the cut-throat title battle with a relentless celtic, where a draw is a disaster and uproar awaits dropped points.

Time to refocus and re energise.

Put the bad stuff behind us.

Domestically give some fringe players some game time.

Look at our preparation  ,mental attitude and motivation.

Players need to lift their game not just against to p flight teams in Europe and against sellick but against the bread and butter hammer throwers in the SPL and the horrendous  plastic pitches.

Jack and Arfield have the right attitude and physicality when it matters .

Broonie of Sellick hates coming up against Scott.

Jack has nothing to prove.

Only the players can sort this out.

Motivation has to be prevalent all the time.Never mind the opposition,or the pishy cold wet weather .

This season has been a success....financially....and strangely like the curates egg,in certain aspects of our performance we have delivered.We will make a handsome profit from our  European adventure and we could easily make at least £30 million(conservative estimate) from the sale of two players which looks on the cards.We are a better side than sellick but they know how to see out a game against the minnows and get that killer goal.In that respect  they are far more effective and ruthless than us.

We were the best team until the year end.We beat them and they genuinely feared coming up against us.

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

That's a fair point and I don't think anyone will suggest hes done a bad job. Hes given us respect back. We are a good team. 

How do we take the next step to become winners? We absolutely should have the league cup in the cabinet but we don't. Season is over and it March.

Depends whether you believe Gerrard can make us winners or not. Sport can be decided by small margins and the scum have had the edge with luck, refereeing decisions (big surprise) and clinical finishing at key moments.

Look at their cup tie yesterday. Like us they were nil-nil at half time. Unlike us they found a way to win by a single late goal. 

For some unknown reason we've had Jack, Kent, Davis, Alfie all hit a slump in form whilst Defoe (our best striker in terms of ratio of goals to minutes played) got injured.

But those names mentioned - as well as Shagger and Hagi (if we get him) - are more than good enough to win this league.

Gerrard at this moment in time doesn't feel to me like a floundering, agitated Warburton or a gormless Caixinha. I say keep the faith for another season. 

All he and his team have to do is find a way of beating the Kilmarnocks, Hamilton's and St johnstones of this league.

Fuck me, we are not asking him to reinvent the wheel.

The current set up does not work.

A blind man running for a bus can see that.

We need half decent players, who have plenty of dig, and will run, and tackles walls for the club.

There are plenty players in the SPL who fit the above criteria, and would walk from Aberdeen, Dundee, or Edinburgh to play for us.

Just get them signed up.

If you are being beaten by hammer throwers what do you do? You sign the fucking hammer throwers.

You don't require wonderful footballers to win this league, but you do require guys with fire in their bellys, and who will put a shift in every week, and burst their balls.

Give me 7 days to review the SPL squads, and I would have a list on Gerrards desk 1st thing next Monday morning detailing 6 players who to sign. 

2 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

Do you really trust him to stop timothy's 10? 

No, but we cannot afford to pay him off or pay of his backroom team. Gerrard was always going to be a learning process he was never just going to turn into a great manager overnight he may never make it in management.

Unless Gerrard walks without taking a penny he's here for the foreseeable.

7 hours ago, Malvern said:

why not stop going to bloody Quatar!

There’s nothing to suggest the country of Dubai is responsible for the dip in form.  celtic went there the same time we did and they didn’t experience a dip in form.  There’s also some top European clubs going there like Liverpool.  

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

At the end of the day he's gave us the best European nights we've had since Advocaat, but been a complete failure back home where it really matters. 

'Complete' failure's harsh. He has has regularly dominating and beating the scum, which we didn't come anywhere close to doing under actual complete failures like the three before him.

We're (and he is) so close imo, working out how to beat the shit teams in the league particularly away from home is the 'easier' thing to get right compared to having us better the scum consistently in matches or compete well in Europe.

Archived