Gerrard - What He's Done and What He Can Still Do

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We are no closer to a domestic honour under gerrard than we were under warburton, but under warburton we didnt need a 10mill cash injection along with euro money to see out the season

Gerrard has spent a fortune to be no further ahead domestically, dont care if we are comfy 2nd place, in scotland thats nothing

2nd place means fuck all to me either and I'm absolutely gutted at how its gone this season. I think the difference between us is that you seem to have no faith in Gerrard to deliver success and I still feel there's a decent chance he could.

And I don't see an alternative that doesn't set us back significantly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Agreed apart from the weekend, after ten mins of either gsme there was only gonna be one winner, hearts and tarriers

yeah sadly in our case I totally agree with that. I did hold out hope that we'd come out 2nd half a different team but if anything we were even more timid and shambolic. Having seen what they're actually capable of when they get their shit together this Rangers team must be the most fucking frustrating collection of players I've witnessed!

Warburton and Pedro has us being hammered by the tims at will,  warburton steam finished a grand 39 points behind the tims, also Pedro has the record of letting Aberdeen win at ibrox for the 1st time in 2 and half decades, 5-1 mauling at home to the nonces.

meanwhile  although we’re 12 behind at the moment and out the cups we are still competitively closer to the tims than at any point since promotion.  Maybe we have to realise that it will take a lot of money to make a winning side especially against a team that have had everything their own way since 2012.  

hopefully the board and the manager realise just how hard it will be to win that title back.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Keep seeing this over and over without the extremely fucking valid qualification that he's also earned the club a fortune. Not far off what he's spent in actual fact.

If he's earned the club a fortune, why did we need a 10mill cash injection AFTER the euro group stages till end of the season

So he is spending a fortune, imagine legia come to glasgow and win, we dont buy kent but we are finally fucked

1 minute ago, loyalfollower said:

Warburton and Pedro has us being hammered by the tims at will,  warburton steam finished a grand 39 points behind the tims, also Pedro has the record of letting Aberdeen win at ibrox for the 1st time in 2 and half decades, 5-1 mauling at home to the nonces.

meanwhile  although we’re 12 behind at the moment and out the cups we are still competitively closer to the tims than at any point since promotion.  Maybe we have to realise that it will take a lot of money to make a winning side especially against a team that have had everything their own way since 2012.  

hopefully the board and the manager realise just how hard it will be to win that title back.

You surely cannot quote Pedro's record at home to the sheep without bringing up gerrards ffs, 3 wins out of ten against the sheep, twice at home last season he failed to win, sheep beating us twice at ibrox and 3 times over a season is two records in one year gerrard set

1 final out of 4 domestic cups is a brass neck and the capitulation of the league campaign for the second year in a row is unacceptable, if it’s anyone other Steven Gerrard a lot more would be calling for him to be a sacked.

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

If he's earned the club a fortune, why did we need a 10mill cash injection AFTER the euro group stages till end of the season

So he is spending a fortune, imagine legia come to glasgow and win, we dont buy kent but we are finally fucked

If he's spent £20 million, which keeps being thrown about, and brought back >£15 million from the two European campaigns, then it doesn't exactly take Pythagoras now does it?

8 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If he's spent £20 million, which keeps being thrown about, and brought back >£15 million from the two European campaigns, then it doesn't exactly take Pythagoras now does it?

And it doesn't take a genius that we continue to require euro money every season to keep the bean counters happy, 

The accounts are there to see without euro money we are humped, fine if we are smashing scotland but we arent further ahead in scotland than we were 3 years ago, 

25 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

2nd place means fuck all to me either and I'm absolutely gutted at how its gone this season. I think the difference between us is that you seem to have no faith in Gerrard to deliver success and I still feel there's a decent chance he could.

And I don't see an alternative that doesn't set us back significantly.

Gerrard doesn't inspire faith in me anymore bevausehe doesn't have a managerial career backed up by trophy wins to allow him leeway

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And it doesn't take a genius that we continue to require euro money every season to keep the bean counters happy, 

The accounts are there to see without euro money we are humped, fine if we are smashing scotland but we arent further ahead in scotland than we were 3 years ago, 

You're missing the point, Jim.

You're using the 'fortune' spent by Gerrard as a stick to beat him with, without acknowledging that he's actually earned the club close to what he's spent.

2 hours ago, Hutton2008 said:

Europes been a welcome morale boosting bonus. No more no less.

2nd place is as good as last in my eyes. 

Europe brings in a lot of prize money.  We’ve made more prize money from participation in the Europa than we would have had we done the domestic treble.  There’s no money in Scottish football so success in Europe is vital to the long-term health of this club on and off the pitch.  It also gives our players a stage to do the business against big teams and thus inflating their transfer value.

I know we as fans priorities the domestic league but what Gerrard has achieved in Europe has been fantastic there’s no taking away from that.  It’s important to do well on Europe too, it’s not just a sideshow.  We can also point to our success in Europe as a way to lure better quality players to Scotland which has always been difficult.

4 hours ago, Inigo said:

It's very short. Might be part of something longer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/football-news/4-reasons-Rangers-struggled-domestically-21603020.amp

Some folk won't like the source, so they can feel free to c and p.

Just glanced at that, my first question is why has it taken them so long to figure that out ? It is as if they have learned nothing for a year and a half and about the domestic game and now come out with that.

I cannot think that Walter did nit explain what is required to win domestic leagues and cups when he has had discussions with Stevie. 

The negativity around the club just now is as bad as it's been for a long time. Even if he starts a winning run from here on in, some will say the improvement is from the fact we can't win anything so the pressure is off. He also can't make whole sale changes to the team as it seems quite obvious that apart from about 14 of them he doesn't trust the rest. Hopefully the European run can be extended and win the next old firm but all that's not going to be easy. We will be underdogs so there's always a chance..

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You're missing the point, Jim.

You're using the 'fortune' spent by Gerrard as a stick to beat him with, without acknowledging that he's actually earned the club close to what he's spent.

You're missing the point, we are no further ahead trophywise than his predecessors, but he, unlike his predecessors, require euro money to keep his team together

Europe is always a sideshow to a Scottish team, but now we require it just to stay together, and we arent winning a thing domestically

29 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You surely cannot quote Pedro's record at home to the sheep without bringing up gerrards ffs, 3 wins out of ten against the sheep, twice at home last season he failed to win, sheep beating us twice at ibrox and 3 times over a season is two records in one year gerrard set

That 1st defeat set the rot and gave the sheep new belief.   It’s all a side note anyway as any ex footballer will say that Gerrard has improved us in his tenure so far.  We’ve got no choice but to look at what he started with squad wise and what we have now.

yes mentality is not good enough but the performances upto new year were good enough to be from a title winning side.  He has his flaws as does every manager and I’ll be betting Gerrard doesn’t allow the same mistakes to happen in the summer.

1 minute ago, loyalfollower said:

That 1st defeat set the rot and gave the sheep new belief.   It’s all a side note anyway as any ex footballer will say that Gerrard has improved us in his tenure so far.  We’ve got no choice but to look at what he started with squad wise and what we have now.

yes mentality is not good enough but the performances upto new year were good enough to be from a title winning side.  He has his flaws as does every manager and I’ll be betting Gerrard doesn’t allow the same mistakes to happen in the summer.

Improved us is subjective, we are out of all domestic honours earlier this season than last, no trophies again (barring a fucking disaster over at the piggery and a miracle recovery from us) and an even more expensive squad than any Rangers manager has had since ally got in 2011

30 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Gerrard doesn't inspire faith in me anymore bevausehe doesn't have a managerial career backed up by trophy wins to allow him leeway

He's finished for me. He'll probably still be here for the start of next season but he'll be gone before they do 10. He isn't capable of stopping them.

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Improved us is subjective, we are out of all domestic honours earlier this season than last, no trophies again (barring a fucking disaster over at the piggery and a miracle recovery from us) and an even more expensive squad than any Rangers manager has had since ally got in 2011

Further in the league cup and same round in the Scottish tbf. 

Maybe he needs a better assistant manager. I like McAllister but maybe he needs a mental fucker to rip into them or somebody with more tactical awareness to suggest a different formation or playing style at times. I’ve no idea if he’s good or not - but it’s another part of the puzzle.

He needs to get rid of the perpetual losers and fannies - Tav, Goldson, Borna etc. 

Tav is now a symbol of failure and a reminder of the bad years - he needs to be stripped of the captaincy and sold in the summer. Bye bye - time for freshness and a new direction. 

Once these type of players are moved on and hopefully replaced with better, hungrier, more confident, stronger, aggressive and grittier players, other players such as Kent, Hagi, Jack etc will hopefully shine. 

Time to make some bold decisions, and show that we don’t accept perpetual losers. 

There is hehaw that he can do. Mathematically the league isn't over and we could potentially win Europa. Neither is happening so aye basically fuck all. 

The board aren't gonna sack him unless attendances drop, less merch sold, and ST drop next season. They've invested too much money in Gerrard. If Gerrard goes it'll be his own decision. 

So if he does stay then he needs to start turning things around tomorrow. Drop all the fucking idiots and get back to winning. 

In summer he needs to get of diddys like Tavernier, Morelos, etc. And bring in players who aren't shitebags.

Archived