Squad options that you would take

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Teddybear123 said:

Personally been very underwhelmed whenever I've seen Hickey against us or the filth, but admittedly I haven't watched him in any other games and with hearts going down we could get a good deal.

Pretty sure that Hickey is away to the tarriers anyway. One I think looks good only because he is playing week in week out when young. Would need a few years to grow into anything like first team material for us. Rather we gave Patterson a chance.

On 27/05/2020 at 21:13, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Half agree with this but even Barcelona and Real Madrid have 'squad' players as in players who when everyone is fit are unlikely to regularly start.

For where we're at right now though, as others have mentioned we need 3 or 4 players ideally better than those who are already considered a starting player rather than bulking out the squad again with Stewart/Halliday/Ojo level players.

The other benefit is that for players with the right mindset the competition will spur them on another level - I reckon Ryan Jack has it in him to raise his performance another level.

The other concern about signing someone intentionally as a squad player is that some if not most just aren't suited to it and need to be playing week in week out. I don't know if that applies to Dykes as such but for me it definitely applies to say Stewart who was excellent when he came on against Aberdeen in the 5-0 hammering but pretty anonymous near enough any other time he was called upon.

Barcelona and Real Madrid have great starting XIs though. I don't disagree that we should have squad players I just disagree that we should be targeting them for that specific reason. Our team isn't good enough as it is so we should be going after players who are going to turn one of the current starters into a squad player rather than signing someone to supplement the current shite.

Archived