Rangers could equal 91-year-old record against Kilmarnock

The Dude

Think our all time record for clean sheets (not just from start of the season) is still held by Chris  Woods in first season under Souness.  Record was broken in the Hamilton cup game at Ibrox.  Remember it well.  We fannied about for about 40minutes to get to the record mark, gave Accies a foothold in the game and ended up getting knocked out the cup by them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

Just had a  wee look... 9 seems to be the best run at the start of a season for any european team. Play the scum on the 11th game. Hmmm could we go 11 :D

Man Utd went 15 games without conceeding, but not at the start of the season. Some record in its self though.

Would need to check back but I am sure we got the Scottish record back in the late 80's when we went from Oct to Jan without conceding in all competitions, not sure how many games.  

I am sure the irony of it was the last goal we lost before the run put us out of Europe and the first we lost at the end of it was the infamous  1-0 Scottish cup defeat to Hamilton at Ibrox.  

EDIT

Chris Woods

Signed by Graeme Souness in 1986 as part of the contingent of English talent that arrived at Ibrox around that time, Chris Woods made an instant impact at Rangers, winning a league and cup double in his first season with the club.

The England international set a new British record after going close to 1,200 minutes without conceding between November 1986 and January 1987.

2 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Would need to check back but I am sure we got the Scottish record back in the late 80's when we went from Oct to Jan without conceding in all competitions, not sure how many games.  

I am sure the irony of it was the last goal we lost before the run put us out of Europe and the first we lost at the end of it was the infamous  1-0 Scottish cup defeat to Hamilton at Ibrox.  

11 league games + 1 European without conceding 

11 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

I count 10 games we've played including friendlies. 1 goal conceded away in Germany?

Lille Lyon Motherwell Coventry Aberdeen St Mirren St Johnstone Livingston Kilmarnock 

That's pretty remarkable 👍👍👍

We've barely conceded a chance in any domestic game

We look comfortable as fuck at the back 

10 hours ago, MVRanger said:

Hard to believe the legendary "Iron Curtain" defence of George Young, Tiger Shaw et al didn't get to beyond 4 clean sheets from season start....I assume some of our stattos  have checked this?:pipe:

Nah, I just took a guess and picked a random year hoping nobody else would check it out :whistle:

15 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

11 league games + 1 European without conceding 

Yes, I looked it up. Lost a goal on the stroke of HT to Broussia and it was the away goal for them that put us out as it end 1-1 and we drew the away leg 0-0.  Couldn't find the goal time for the Hamilton goal at Ibrox but must have been late on in the game as we went almost 1200 minutes so 12 x 90 plus second half of Broussia game is 1125 minutes so suggests Hamilton goal after 70 minutes.

Archived