Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

5 hours ago, The Beast said:

It's not the key question though. 

A manager can do really well, bring in good players, make them play well, improve the team generally and still not win the league. Tommy Burns' teams at the scum were a good example, some great players who played well together but they were up against an even better Rangers team managed by an even better manager.

If we saw that happening, good players coming in, individual players getting better and the team generally improving then we would have some optimism even if the fat Aussie did win the league again this season. But we are not seeing any of that. Every aspect of the team is significantly worse and getting more so. 

It will always come down to if a manager can win the league. 

Your right if you see progress/ improvement with players, results etc. It will give the manager more time at it but it will always come down to if they can win the league. That's why that lot eventually sent burns packing. It's also why many wanted Gerrard gone pre covid. 

I also think your spot on the team has badly regressed and if it's not turned around a new manager will be needed.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Also need to remember as well that the tarriers are now past a calendar year without loss in the league (barely drew as well) both gerrard and gio would have struggled against that with these players 

They wouldn't be unbeaten if gerrard was here though. And old firm defeats can be hugely damaging to confidence in other games. If gio continues to lose to celtic we are screwed obviously.

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

Tbh that's a straw man argument. Don't get rid of a failing manager because who might replace him might be worse.

I’m genuinely intrigued on who people think we can attract and afford. Zero faith in the board finding a suitable replacement.

If we were going out to try get a De Zerbi or someone of that ilk then fair enough but I seriously doubt the replacement would be anywhere near that level.

7 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

They wouldn't be unbeaten if gerrard was here though. And old firm defeats can be hugely damaging to confidence in other games. If gio continues to lose to celtic we are screwed obviously.

Didn’t seem to effect them when Gerrard was beating them regularly yet they were picking up back to back trebles.

For me, GVB is on borrowed time.  The outstanding achievements of last year re Europa final are now massively overshadowed by the very visible signs of a team not just in decline, but free fall.  We look like we've regressed in all key areas, with little to no evidence of an obvious style or identity and even less evidence of the players looking like they know what they are doing.  I remember an Aribo interview last year where he said GVB wanted him/others to cause panic and mayhem in the opposition box by crashing the box with runs.  We've seen NOTHING of that this year.  And the defence?  Wow.  We look like we have no space when we've got the ball, and when the opposition has it, like they've all the space in the world to walk through us.  

There's no way that anyone watching us can say we look like we've got a plan - never mind a plan that would excite us or fill us with optimism.  

20 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

It’s against a whole new team, system and manager. He was struggling before he fucked off. 

Aye aw right mate he beat the great Brenda a few times I think he'd of done alot better than gio against fatty 

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

I’m genuinely intrigued on who people think we can attract and afford. Zero faith in the board finding a suitable replacement.

If we were going out to try get a De Zerbi or someone of that ilk then fair enough but I seriously doubt the replacement would be anywhere near that level.

I've said kjetil knutsen myself. Done wonders at Bodo-Glimt. But he's in the running for the Brighton job so is De Zerbi. 

Dyche is still without a job. It would be a big change in approach with him. But I'd bet we would become a lot more solid at back. 

I've seen others on here suggest Serhiy Rebrov

20 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I've said kjetil knutsen myself. Done wonders at Bodo-Glimt. But he's in the running for the Brighton job so is De Zerbi. 

Dyche is still without a job. It would be a big change in approach with him. But I'd bet we would become a lot more solid at back. 

Canny have Sean Dyche, his brand of football’s rotten, and that’s not allowed

3 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Knutsen I’m wary of, no one has took a chance on him yet and could be a strange one off at Bodo. Every player who’s left them to go to better leagues has failed miserably. Coming off his worst season in recent times too.

Rebrov out in Middle East, doubt this board will sanction anyone from out there given the Caixinha mess albeit far better CV than PC.

Dyche all wrong for us, football is about being defensive first understandably given who he was up against but I’d want someone more front foot.

28 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Knutsen I’m wary of, no one has took a chance on him yet and could be a strange one off at Bodo. Every player who’s left them to go to better leagues has failed miserably. Coming off his worst season in recent times too.

Rebrov out in Middle East, doubt this board will sanction anyone from out there given the Caixinha mess albeit far better CV than PC.

Dyche all wrong for us, football is about being defensive first understandably given who he was up against but I’d want someone more front foot.

Surprised that no one has took a shot at Knutsen myself. He is currently being linked with Brighton and Bournemouth jobs. Had two really successful season before this one with 2 leagues and a QF in the europa conference. This season might have been one to many league wise for him. 

I don't think the middle East thing would put the board off Rebrov. As you said he's got a better cv than Pedro including previous work in European football. 

Dyche wouldn't be my first choice. Reading up on him but it's not all ultra defensive football. He plays a throwback going 442. Considering how Scottish football can be at times could we really say that formation wouldn't work well here. 

If worst come to worst and gio is sacked. Who would you make a move for? 

4 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Surprised that no one has took a shot at Knutsen myself. He is currently being linked with Brighton and Bournemouth jobs. Had two really successful season before this one with 2 leagues and a QF in the europa conference. This season might have been one to many league wise for him. 

I don't think the middle East thing would put the board off Rebrov. As you said he's got a better cv than Pedro including previous work in European football. 

Dyche wouldn't be my first choice. Reading up on him but it's not all ultra defensive football. He plays a throwback going 442. Considering how Scottish football can be at times could we really say that formation wouldn't work well here. 

If worst come to worst and gio is sacked. Who would you make a move for? 

It might have some success domestically but we need to be pushing for both domestic and European success, in terms of regular Champions League group participation and runs beyond the groups of the EL.

Dyche was near put out by Aberdeen ffs.

21 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It might have some success domestically but we need to be pushing for both domestic and European success, in terms of regular Champions League group participation and runs beyond the groups of the EL.

Dyche was near put out by Aberdeen ffs.

Fair enough why I said Dyche wouldn't be my first choice. 

I'd go for Knutsen. As he's been able to do well domestically and in Europe. 

Who would you go for if gio is sacked?