Next Manager Discussion Thread

superallysbears

2 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

You may be falling in to the trap believing he can play a different style, has he ever been at a club managing and playing an attractive style of football. I'm not saying he couldn't but I can only remember him managing Burnley and there style of football was horrendous not that ours is great at the moment. 

Believe Burnley actually played attacking football in the championship, and only when in Premiership were they more pragmatic to get results and stay up - Course could be talking absolute bollocks here as memory not as good as it once was lol

1 minute ago, Kylegib said:

You may be falling in to the trap believing he can play a different style, has he ever been at a club managing and playing an attractive style of football. I'm not saying he couldn't but I can only remember him managing Burnley and their style of football was horrendous not that ours is great at the moment. 

I’m not naive enough to think he will play very attacking but that would also be up to those interviewing him to find out who he would intend to set up. The one thing I can say is we’d stop leaking so many stupid goals in open play and from set pieces. This reminds me of le guen and our god awful defence then we brought Walter back and he started shoring up the defence first and foremost. I don’t think too many complained at that time then with the right additions we were more dangerous up top.

All I know is I’m fucking done with the 4-2-3-1 shite we’ve stuck with for so long, unless it was to be done right, at pace and intensity with high press.

2 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Say our only option was a Scottish manager hypothetically speaking and we couldn't get anyone else, who would be the names ?

If we had to, Russell Martin is the best Scottish candidate by a mile.

That really isn’t saying much though.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I hope so, as Dyche is by far and away the top candidate I would be after.

I just think that he is out of our reach.

Been overlooked by Villa, Southampton and Wolves and turned down Bournemouth. Coming to us and proving he can adapt would be a good thing for his reputation in terms of attracting a better calibre of team in the EPL.

20 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

If you look at my later post I mentioned that he may not play free flowing football but he had to do something relative to the financial and pulling power of Burnley. It’s not the same as managing Newcastle after their takeover, if they bought technical players they would still be well short of the top half of the league.

We’ll probably never find out as we’ll be stuck with Gio for the foreseeable then appoint Billy Davies

Fair comment.

I see him as someone who is pragmatic to an extreme but unless he's at a Man City or someone where he can buy anyone he wants I suspect he's going to keep going back to what he knows has worked for him.

8 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Say our only option was a Scottish manager hypothetically speaking and we couldn't get anyone else, who would be the names ?

I know we may be struggling financially but surely we can do better than any Scottish manager that's available. 

5 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Must say I hadn't imagined him.

He was capped for Scotland so I’m counting him :lol:

If you mean Scottish-born, there genuinely isn’t one I’d take right now with the possible exception of Moyes (which is never happening anyway).

4 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Scottish - as in can play for Scotland...... or working/worked in the leagues.

David Moyes, Russel Martin,

Rest are pretty hopeless 

gary caldwell, alex neil, mark fotheringham. Derek Adams. Robbie Nielson, Davie Martindale. derek mcinness. steve clark,

3 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Fair comment.

I see him as someone who is pragmatic to an extreme but unless he's at a Man City or someone where he can buy anyone he wants I suspect he's going to keep going back to what he knows has worked for him.

You may be right, but remember there are only two teams in this league so would he seriously consider playing the same way he did at Burnley here.

Like I say, probably never find out.

1 minute ago, superallysbears said:

Just hypothetical mate, just interested in what names might come up, with our board you wouldn't put it past them.

Hypothetically the best Scottish manager we could appoint would probably be Steve Clarke but I am absolutely not suggesting him to take over.

Just now, NeoGeo7 said:

You may be right, but remember there are only two teams in this league so would he seriously consider playing the same way he did at Burnley here.

Like I say, probably never find out.

In games against them and in Europe I think he probably would.

For the rest he will obviously attack, you can't do anything but when we have so much of the ball, but I genuinely think it will be bulldozing teams with physicality rather than with much finesse.

Many of our fans will absolutely love that and I could see him being successful at it - I just can't stand that approach to football and like I said earlier don't think it's needed for the club we are.

Any reason why we wouldn’t consider Jon Dahl Tomasson?

He has 8 losses in the Championship with Blackburn and is contracted to 2025 but has greater experience than Michael Beale from his time at Malmo, national team and worked as an assistant in the Netherlands.

3 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

I really hope we don't go for Martindale, I know he's doing reasonably well at Livingston but surely we can appoint someone better than that.

Can't see him getting it tbh, definitely be someone who's had more experience than him I think, nothing against wee Davie, think he's a good character.