Duncan Ferguson

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Only missed out on the top four in Italy by one point twice and won the Coppa Italia with Napoli. Valencia was poor, but they’ve been a mess for years now.

I’ll ask you something, see if he wasn’t a former Rangers player, do you think the event of self loathing Rangers supporters who seem to hate anything from the past being associated with us, would be so quick to dismiss somebody with Milan, Napoli, Valencia and now Marseille on their CV’s as a potential managerial option for us when we’ve been linked with guys like Kevin Muscat and John Eustace in recent weeks?

Muscat and Eustace are probably even worse suggestions. Muscat seems to be on the basis that he worked with Ange previously so maybe, if we get lucky, lightning will strike twice. 

I’m less interested in the who on the CV than what they’ve actually achieved (hence my point the other day about the lack of obvious candidates that some seemed to dismiss as ‘trolling’). Had he been an unqualified success at those clubs it would be mental to turn it down. 

55 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

wtf is going on with you today, even by your standards you're coming away with some absolutely wild things. Of course one of the most famous strikers of the EPL era didn't kidnap and torture someone for days ffs. 

Just a bit of light hearted fun mate, of course I didn't really think it was true.

Someone on here before said he held them tied up in his basement for days, just found the whole suggestion absurd.

I'm guessing he just kicked the shit out of them before the police came.

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Muscat and Eustace are probably even worse suggestions. Muscat seems to be on the basis that he worked with Ange previously so maybe, if we get lucky, lightning will strike twice. 

I’m less interested in the who on the CV than what they’ve actually achieved (hence my point the other day about the lack of obvious candidates that some seemed to dismiss as ‘trolling’). Had he been an unqualified success at those clubs it would be mental to turn it down. 

But do you not think there’s got to be an allowance that we aren’t a Milan or a Napoli and we don’t play in a league that is as competitive or strong?

It’s a bit of a basic equation but if he’s capable of managing them to within a point of CL qualification then surely if you put him in a far less competitive league like ours (granted it would be with less talented players too) you would think he would be able to manage us to a degree of success? 

FWIW, I don’t know if he’s a good manager either way, I don’t follow enough football now to know, I just think people are maybe a bit too quick to outright dismiss him as a potential candidate when his CV stands up pretty well against the majority of people who have been spoken about as candidates for our job over the past five or six years.

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

But do you not think there’s got to be an allowance that we aren’t a Milan or a Napoli and we don’t play in a league that is as competitive or strong?

It’s a bit of a basic equation but if he’s capable of managing them to within a point of CL qualification then surely if you put him in a far less competitive league like ours (granted it would be with less talented players too) you would think he would be able to manage us to a degree of success? 

FWIW, I don’t know if he’s a good manager either way, I don’t follow enough football now to know, I just think people are maybe a bit too quick to outright dismiss him as a potential candidate when his CV stands up pretty well against the majority of people who have been spoken about as candidates for our job over the past five or six years.

For me, that just speaks volumes about the lack of quality candidates. Our next boss needs to be as close to a sure thing as we can get. Gattuso would very much be a big gamble. 

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

:lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think you have to look at how a manager sets up and his style to see if it will translate.

Just managing some big clubs, and almost finishing in the Euro spot isn't enough of a barometer to say he is right for us and the wacky SPFL set up.

Muscat for instance is known to play a style very much like fat Ange. That's a style which the SPFL seemed to struggle to play against.

Meanwhile you have GVB who won a title in a decent league, but his style was very negative and did not translate well to SPFL.

I'm not sure what style Gatusso has to be honest, but on achievements alone I don't think he has done enough to warrant it. I don't think he would have got the gigs he did if it were not off the back of his playing career.

Maybe Gatusso would be better than Muscat, I don't think any of us know for sure. I think I would be happier with Muscat as the option to go for though as his style sounds more like what we should be aiming for, and he has built his career based on his managerial achievements more than a star name, and seems to be on the up.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

For me, that just speaks volumes about the lack of quality candidates. Our next boss needs to be as close to a sure thing as we can get. Gattuso would very much be a big gamble. 

I think there’s going to be a degree of gambling regardless of who it is, mainly because I don’t think there’s a sure thing out there. When we sacked PLG we had Smith right there as a sure thing, and when Fat Ange left the filth had Rodgers as a sure thing too. I don’t think we have that guy who’s smacking you in the face as such an obvious, slam dunk of an appointment. I also don’t think that means we can just stick with Beale either though.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It’s certainly not based on his managerial career so far. 

It's not based on the fact he worked with fat Ange.

It's is however somewhat based on the fact he supposedly plays with a similar style, one which has been effective in this league.

If it was another manager with the same attributes but had not worked with him, it would be even more appealing.

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think there’s going to be a degree of gambling regardless of who it is, mainly because I don’t think there’s a sure thing out there. When we sacked PLG we had Smith right there as a sure thing, and when Fat Ange left the filth had Rodgers as a sure thing too. I don’t think we have that guy who’s smacking you in the face as such an obvious, slam dunk of an appointment. I also don’t think that means we can just stick with Beale either though.

So surely you look at minimising the gamble as much as possible? While there’s no Walter waiting in the wings to come in and save the day, there’s got to be more ‘steady’ candidates than a manager who manages a full season before he get canned?

6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It's not based on the fact he worked with fat Ange.

It's is however somewhat based on the fact he supposedly plays with a similar style, one which has been effective in this league.

If it was another manager with the same attributes but had not worked with him, it would be even more appealing.

‘Supposedly’ is kinda the point. I’d be surprised if many of those shouting for Muscat have seen a single game played by any of his teams. 

1 hour ago, BlueVanguard said:

at least he wouldn't put up with any shite. Beales a fucking soft bastard. Never known our club to have so many serious talks and honest conversations in my lifetime.

And read over what I said again mate before pulling the trigger :lol:

There's much more to management than not putting up with any shite

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Was Muscat not being linked with Hearts a few months ago? 

Don’t think so. Think it was always Naismith and McAvoy getting it after Neilson was binned. He might have been mentioned in some of the ‘7 candidates’ type fluff that the papers print but don’t think there was ever any serious link. 

Funnily enough I saw him at stranraer on Saturday watching his lad play for Forfar...then I seen Billy Dodds in my town on Monday. Weird coincidence 

Not a chance he will even manage us though. Dont think he enjoyed his time with us and have never heard him speak of us in glowing terms 

6 minutes ago, Madina said:

Funnily enough I saw him at stranraer on Saturday watching his lad play for Forfar...then I seen Billy Dodds in my town on Monday. Weird coincidence 

Not a chance he will even manage us though. Dont think he enjoyed his time with us and have never heard him speak of us in glowing terms 

Aye that's the reason Billy Dodds won't manage us.

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

‘Supposedly’ is kinda the point. I’d be surprised if many of those shouting for Muscat have seen a single game played by any of his teams. 

I've not seen a single game of his either, or just about any other manager we have been linked with.

I hear his style is like fat Ange's though, I hear he has won things in Aus and Japan.

If I was told that Gatusso had his team set up to attack, with a high press etc and won things with this style, I'd be all for it too. I have not heard these things though.

I don't like the sound of the manager from Greece (think he is an argie) who talks a load of pish like Pedro.

Don't know about any of the others, but if they play a fast, aggressive, attacking style I'd be up for it. It's nothing to do with the fact they used to work for fat Ange, that particular point is a negative for me.

5 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I've not seen a single game of his either, or just about any other manager we have been linked with.

I hear his style is like fat Ange's though, I hear he has won things in Aus and Japan.

If I was told that Gatusso had his team set up to attack, with a high press etc and won things with this style, I'd be all for it too. I have not heard these things though.

I don't like the sound of the manager from Greece (think he is an argie) who talks a load of pish like Pedro.

Don't know about any of the others, but if they play a fast, aggressive, attacking style I'd be up for it. It's nothing to do with the fact they used to work for fat Ange, that particular point is a negative for me.

He won the Aus league in 2015 and the J league last year. It’s hardly different success after success.