Attacking Midfielders

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

The numbers show that isn't true.

5.68 expected assists, 5 actual assists. If people weren't finishing off the chances he created then there would be a big gap between that.

Big Chances Created he's 25th in the league.

Chances created he's 16th. Expected Assists 13th.

For one of the main creative players at one of the top two in this league that is really poor. 

What’s Dessers xG compared to goals scored out of interest?

49 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I do agree he feels like one of these players where it's always someone else's fault. 

I remember thinking when he had his season the EPL 4-5 years ago he was decent, but looking back he only scored 6 goals and got 2 assists and didn't get a single G/A between 1st January and the end of the season - which was 16 games.

He was then rubbish at Bournemouth and his last couple seasons as Norwich.

Clearly talented but don't think he has the mentality for it. One of your classics where he seems to have thought he made it at an early age then just coasted.

That the season they played Liverpool first night of the season? He looked class that night 

I don’t really get xG tbh.

To me there’s too many human factors in play to purely use data to determine how many goals or chances people should score or create.

That maybe sounds a bit Rangers Da’, but yeah it’s not a stats driven concept I can fully get behind.

11 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

To me there’s too many human factors in play to purely use data to determine how many goals or chances people should score or create.

That maybe sounds a bit Rangers Da’, but yeah it’s not a stats driven concept I can fully get behind.

There’s loads now that are a load of shite, what the fuck are field tilts? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s not a comeback - genuinely interested to see if Dessers xG is far higher than his goal tally.

I don’t pay any attention to the expected goals or assist stats.

This page is good: https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/leagues/64/stats/premiership/players

Says Dessers should have scored 3 more league goals. Although a good striker can obvious exceed his xG so maybe that should be 4-5 more. I'm not one to use expected stats as a benchmark - but when you include a number of different stats it gives you an idea. A lot of the guys below him are skewed because of penalties though - there isn't one I could see excluding penalties. 

image.thumb.png.994354aa64df2c25153e49d4440f2e24.png

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I don't think there's a problem with the stats as long as you take them in addition to actually watching someone. They're also good as a comparison of players as they're obviously not perfect, but they're not perfect for everyone so on the whole it should average out.

Some people use them too much and base someone's entire performance on them though.

Our system doesn't help matters either, overlapping fullbacks constantly mean your actual wingers have to come inside where the bulk of the bodies are, and get stifled out the game 

Then when we do actually get men in behind the fullbacks etc, everyone is so deep theres literally fuck all options in the box, its been like that since gerrard came 

How many games, OF especially, do we watch as one side of the opposition puts it across the box and it's the opposite side that puts it in at the backpost

Yet we still ask the likes of tav, barisic etc to get up the park and whip crosses into no cunt from deep

Get your wide men hitting the byline, and coming in at the back post, striker in the box and the number ten making the late run, maybe even two midfielders making late runs

Our use of the number ten role has been honking for years bar when arfield actually got to play it

9 hours ago, superallysbears said:

Tav is the reason imo, all well and good having his numbers but I think it takes onus away from other more conventional goal and assist area's of the team, we should have both working but the midfield have been terrible at it and Tav chipping in as he dose keeps the heat off it somewhat.

I agree with this. His floaty balls get picked off more often than not. If they we decent  with pace more chance of spillages or poor clearances for the midfielders to attack.

3 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Our system doesn't help matters either, overlapping fullbacks constantly mean your actual wingers have to come inside where the bulk of the bodies are, and get stifled out the game 

Then when we do actually get men in behind the fullbacks etc, everyone is so deep theres literally fuck all options in the box, its been like that since gerrard came 

How many games, OF especially, do we watch as one side of the opposition puts it across the box and it's the opposite side that puts it in at the backpost

Yet we still ask the likes of tav, barisic etc to get up the park and whip crosses into no cunt from deep

Get your wide men hitting the byline, and coming in at the back post, striker in the box and the number ten making the late run, maybe even two midfielders making late runs

Our use of the number ten role has been honking for years bar when arfield actually got to play it

You keep repeating this yet Arfield’s league goals after his first season were something like 4 to 6 a season.

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You keep repeating this yet Arfield’s league goals after his first season were something like 4 to 6 a season.

Like i said, when he got to play it 

How many times did you see him play right number ten to basically cover for when tav went up the park

Arfield was very good at making they late runs, finding pockets of space to link with our strikers 

Cantwell as a ten prefers to get the ball wider and deeper and play the passes, only thing is theres no one in the ten role half the time to back up dessers

Got to love statistics 17.65 goals in 25.8 games or whatever. Bottom line is Dessers is not a strikers arsehole the number of times I have watched him get the ball stuck under his feet

or just completely out of position to get a shot away. Compare him to Boyd or Miller of recent times or Jimmy Millar, Ralph Brand who put away half chances time and time again.

Midfield players like Baxter, deBoer or Laudrup who could mesmerise defences and score goals, those were the days, but financially we play in a different park today.

Those players were brought up in the tough environment of junior scottish, english or european football and honed skills on pitches no better than cow paddocks at times.

It appears from newspaper stories we are tracking south American players who, while skilled, don't like the physical aspect of the game.

We need to be looking at players in some of the european leagues for young talent even here in Australia some of the young talent in the A league would hack the physical nature of the scottish game better than most.

Recruitment has been our biggest hindrance since 55. 

Roughly 30 million spent on Colak, Davies, Matondo, Yilmaz, Dessers, Danilo, Lammers, Cantwell, Raskin and Cifuentes. That's disgusting.

with that amount of bodies in over 2 summers we should have been looking at a team at least taking it to the last day this season. 

Tarriers have actually got pretty lucky with their recruitment. All their good and successful business seemed to happen in one season that's carried them right through to 3 in a row. They must be due a rebuild as well?