"Reality Cheque for Rangers"

Danny

A reality check for Celtic. A reality cheque for Rangers. What a difference a match-day one makes.

The Ibrox side passed go in the group stages of the Champions' League and banked a nice little earner at Uefa's going rate for the job of £250,000 a point. Celtic's account was frozen - but so was the team in the opening minutes of the action in Donetsk.

By the time Gordon Strachan's side thawed, the tie was done and dusted. Shakhtar were never going to be naïve enough to forsake a two-goal lead captured in jig-time.

In fact, it should have been three. There was nothing wrong with the effort chalked off for alleged offside. The linesman concerned clearly has a squint.

It was a miserable experience for the Parkhead faithful who crossed the plains of the Ukraine to a town that couldn't spell fun. Donetsk, where even the birds cough, isn't what you would call picture-postcard pretty.

In fact, if they ever build a town on the moon, this is what it will look like.

Barry Ferguson celebrates Rangers' 2-1 victory over Stuttgart

Barry Ferguson was inspirational for Rangers against Stuttgart

For all that, it is no football backwater. Training facilities and a football academy that make Celtic's plans for Lennoxtown look like a school playground - and a budget for players that makes the Scottish champions look like they have returned to the biscuit-tin days - woo players from all over the globe.

Brazilians don't leave Rio for Donetsk for the view.

But Celtic aren't out of contention any more than Stuttgart are dead and buried in Rangers' group.

This was just a sharp reminder that they have now stepped up to the best club competition in the world and, in such company, you tend not to enjoy five-goal romps, as Celtic have against the Inverness Caley Thistles and St Mirrens of this world. They are in the big boys' playground now.

The road to salvation leads to the east end of Glasgow, where Gordon Strachan's side must now accrue nine points, albeit starting with a tricky little job of prising three of them from the reigning champions, AC Milan.

I still think Celtic are a better bet to emerge from the qualifying groups battered but breathing than Rangers, who now have to swallow hard at the prospect of a trip to Lyon and back-to-back games against Barcelona.

That, my friends, is a hard school.

But, for all that, hope springs eternal for Walter Smith's side thanks to a remarkable night at Ibrox against the Germans when the stands of Ibrox thundered with appreciation of a football match that was breathtaking in its energy and relentlessness.

Brandao celebrates his goal in Shakhtar's 2-0 win over Celtic

Celtic were stung by two early goals by Shakhtar Donetsk

In an echo of the re-birth of the game in this country, there were seven Scots in Rangers' starting line-up and three of them were the best players in the team, one the best on the park.

Charlie Adam, recalled from the wilderness, gave a don't-you-forget-about-me performance and Alan Hutton, who can be infuriatingly troubled by red mist, produced a virtuoso display of full back play the likes of which hasn't been seen at the stadium since Sandy Jardine was in his prime.

But it was Barry Ferguson who climbed new heights. Only the groundsman's lawnmower covers more grass than the Rangers captain.

He was John Greig-like in his qualities of inspiration and his downright desire to drag his team-mates to the next level. And he has the crabbitness to go with it.

Another point in the next three games may, indeed, be beyond Rangers. But, in such an event, I would ask their players to consider this. It is you who will have to face your captain in the dressing-room.

Frankly lads, it would be easier telling your missus you have been snogging her sister.

I quite liked this piece :)

A reality check for Celtic. A reality cheque for Rangers. What a difference a match-day one makes.

The Ibrox side passed go in the group stages of the Champions' League and banked a nice little earner at Uefa's going rate for the job of £250,000 a point. Celtic's account was frozen - but so was the team in the opening minutes of the action in Donetsk.

By the time Gordon Strachan's side thawed, the tie was done and dusted. Shakhtar were never going to be naïve enough to forsake a two-goal lead captured in jig-time.

In fact, it should have been three. There was nothing wrong with the effort chalked off for alleged offside. The linesman concerned clearly has a squint.

It was a miserable experience for the Parkhead faithful who crossed the plains of the Ukraine to a town that couldn't spell fun. Donetsk, where even the birds cough, isn't what you would call picture-postcard pretty.

In fact, if they ever build a town on the moon, this is what it will look like.

Barry Ferguson celebrates Rangers' 2-1 victory over Stuttgart

Barry Ferguson was inspirational for Rangers against Stuttgart

For all that, it is no football backwater. Training facilities and a football academy that make Celtic's plans for Lennoxtown look like a school playground - and a budget for players that makes the Scottish champions look like they have returned to the biscuit-tin days - woo players from all over the globe.

Brazilians don't leave Rio for Donetsk for the view.

But Celtic aren't out of contention any more than Stuttgart are dead and buried in Rangers' group.

This was just a sharp reminder that they have now stepped up to the best club competition in the world and, in such company, you tend not to enjoy five-goal romps, as Celtic have against the Inverness Caley Thistles and St Mirrens of this world. They are in the big boys' playground now.

The road to salvation leads to the east end of Glasgow, where Gordon Strachan's side must now accrue nine points, albeit starting with a tricky little job of prising three of them from the reigning champions, AC Milan.

I still think Celtic are a better bet to emerge from the qualifying groups battered but breathing than Rangers, who now have to swallow hard at the prospect of a trip to Lyon and back-to-back games against Barcelona.

That, my friends, is a hard school.

But, for all that, hope springs eternal for Walter Smith's side thanks to a remarkable night at Ibrox against the Germans when the stands of Ibrox thundered with appreciation of a football match that was breathtaking in its energy and relentlessness.

Brandao celebrates his goal in Shakhtar's 2-0 win over Celtic

Celtic were stung by two early goals by Shakhtar Donetsk

In an echo of the re-birth of the game in this country, there were seven Scots in Rangers' starting line-up and three of them were the best players in the team, one the best on the park.

Charlie Adam, recalled from the wilderness, gave a don't-you-forget-about-me performance and Alan Hutton, who can be infuriatingly troubled by red mist, produced a virtuoso display of full back play the likes of which hasn't been seen at the stadium since Sandy Jardine was in his prime.

But it was Barry Ferguson who climbed new heights. Only the groundsman's lawnmower covers more grass than the Rangers captain.

He was John Greig-like in his qualities of inspiration and his downright desire to drag his team-mates to the next level. And he has the crabbitness to go with it.

Another point in the next three games may, indeed, be beyond Rangers. But, in such an event, I would ask their players to consider this. It is you who will have to face your captain in the dressing-room.

Frankly lads, it would be easier telling your missus you have been snogging her sister.

I quite liked this piece :)

who wrote it ?

A very good read Danny and the writer talks the truth.

I especially liked this piece

He tips Celtic rather than us to progress- cheeky bassa!!

:rangers::rangers: :bouncy: :bouncy:

It hardly like they have an easy group and they got hammered by the "weakest" side in their group. They will be even luckier than last year if they manage to qualify( and they were damn lucky last year) £250k a point is awesome though i only thought it was about half of that.

Like us, ra sellik's chances of progressing will come by winning all home games and maybe sneaking something away from home. I dont think they can take anything away from home where as I can see us snaeking somethig from(Lyon & Stuttgart away)

Guest orangpendek

astonishing...having suffered chico's verbal assaults on the english language down the years, leaving no cliche unturned nor, indeed, any chance to re-affirm his hetero/macho credentials by telling us he's going to get drunk after a good result, i discover he can string a (relatively) dazzling few sentences together. no more excuses for your on-air pesh, chick! i demand language of this quality from now on!

astonishing...having suffered chico's verbal assaults on the english language down the years, leaving no cliche unturned nor, indeed, any chance to re-affirm his hetero/macho credentials by telling us he's going to get drunk after a good result, i discover he can string a (relatively) dazzling few sentences together. no more excuses for your on-air pesh, chick! i demand language of this quality from now on!

He probably employed a ghost writer for that... :pipe:

Great article i like the bit about Barry Ferguson who has been every where on the park the last few games hes been the captain we needed. but would like to think that currently rangers look more promising for getting out of group stages then celtic.

Guest orangpendek

can't see either getting out tbh, maybe we might squeeze out stuttgart for 3rd if results go our way. you never know, mind. that would be quite some going.

Great post Danny. Great article by chick-boy. dont agree that sellick are favourites though. I think we will beat lyon home AND away and romp to 10 points after either a draw at home with barca (aye, right!) or a draw away at stuttgart. the only thing that will work against us is injuries. however i have a really good feeling about this season.

septic on the other hand, will finally have to ackowledge their defence is nothing if not abysmal. i just feel sorry for stephen mcmanus who i really like as a player, but he will look awful in this champions league campaign because the rest of the defensive back 4 couldnae hold their water. the only reason they get away with it in scotland is cos the rest of the SPL teams are pish this season. rangers will comfortably take 3 or more off them in the first OF game at ibrox. they are absolutely GASH!