Uefa to probe Celtic fan attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7027114.stm

Uefa is set to investigate an incident where a Celtic fan appeared to strike AC Milan goalkeeper Dida during the Champions League clash at Celtic Park.

Celtic's Scott McDonald scored a late winner to make it 2-1 and the fan ran across Dida's path before striking him.

Dida appeared to chase the culprit as he ran away but then collapsed and was eventually taken away on a stretcher.

Celtic could now face the prospect of Uefa sanctions, which could include a heavy fine or a deduction of points.

Uefa's director of communications, William Gaillard, told BBC Sport that it would wait for reports from the referee and match delegate before acting.

Celtic fans are some of the greatest supporters I know

AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf

They should arrive at Uefa headquarters on Friday and Gaillard said any case would be referred to an independent disciplinary body.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan refused to comment on the issue, but the club said they will "carry out a full investigation".

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said the club would not protest about the fan's actions and coach Carlo Ancelotti said he saw no reason for the result to be changed.

Galliani said: "It's a decision that I've agreed on with president Silvio Berlusconi."

And Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf said the incident was unrepresentative of the club.

"Celtic fans are some of the greatest supporters I know," he said.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Should Celtic pay for one fan's stupidity?

Alistair M - BBC Sport

The incident at Celtic Park marred an otherwise successful night for Celtic who avenged their last 16 defeat to the champions last season.

BBC Sport's Roddy Forsyth, who was at the game, said: "I don't see how Celtic will get away with this one."

In 2005 Dida was hit by a flare thrown by Inter Milan fans during a Champions League quarter-final at the San Siro forcing the tie to be abandoned.

Inter were subsequently thrown out of the competition and made to play their next four European games behind closed doors. Uefa also fined the club £132,000.

Probably someone will confess that he was a Rangers supporter and WE will end up in trouble.

do you know what! that is the first thing i thought of.what a tit.hate to dramatize an already embarrassing situation for celtic fc, but the way hereached out, i thought he'd chibbed him in the throat.

Probably someone will confess that he was a Rangers supporter and WE will end up in trouble.

do you know what! that is the first thing i thought of.what a tit.hate to dramatize an already embarrassing situation for celtic fc, but the way hereached out, i thought he'd chibbed him in the throat.

they should get done for the fans at the corner breaking down the ad boards as well as the idot with the BLADE

Bet if someone gubbed dida in the pub, he'd take it like a man and prolly give just as good back.

That was embaressing dida. And even tho celtic should get a fine for allowing a fan on the pitch, dida should get punished for that embaressing show.

A fine is the most they should get imo, no behind closed doors, and no result void. I wouldnt like it to happen to us, i wouldn't wish it on anyone else, including them.

they should get done for the fans at the corner breaking down the ad boards as well as the idot with the BLADE

What blade?

I'd would PMSL if celtic got 2 matches behind closed doors and tonight result void !

they'll get nothing close to that mate....maybe a small fine....that's it......BUT!

if it were at Ibrox and a Gers fan....things would probably be ALOT worse (maybe close to what you mentioned before)!!! Sad but TRUE! :willy:

I'd would PMSL if celtic got 2 matches behind closed doors and tonight result void !

they'll get nothing close to that mate....maybe a small fine....that's it......BUT!

if it were at Ibrox and a Gers fan....things would probably be ALOT worse (maybe close to what you mentioned before)!!! Sad but TRUE! :willy:

Celtic have previous for this kind of thing, though, Rapid Vienna may come back to haunt them.

A comment from the live Champs league text on the BBC website "will that fan's late actions come back to haunt Celtic? Denmark lost points in Euro qualifying for something similar"

Anyone remember that incident for comparison?

A comment from the live Champs league text on the BBC website "will that fan's late actions come back to haunt Celtic? Denmark lost points in Euro qualifying for something similar"

ref gave a penalty or something and a fan ran on to try and attack the ref (or did attack the ref). game was suspended and denmark given a 3-0 loss.

Doesn't really matter if Dida made a meal of it. The fact is that a fan invaded the pitch and assaulted the goalkeeper. I've never heard of any rule saying well you can give a playfull slap but not too hard. What happens next time if a finger goes in the keepers eye? They have to throw the book at them.

ref gave a penalty or something and a fan ran on to try and attack the ref (or did attack the ref). game was suspended and denmark given a 3-0 loss.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0WrDIMe42Q8

Danish fan ran onto the park and put an arm across the refs face resulting in the match being called off and Sweden awarded a 3-0 win, now some may argue that this guy is coming on with the intention of attacking the ref and that juan guy at the Celtc game was just doing it for the craic... but what is the difference when someone can get that close to potentially harm a player?

Celtic have previous for this kind of thing, though, Rapid Vienna may come back to haunt them.

Even their own manager has been attacked on their pitch :ph34r:

Even their own manager has been attacked on their pitch :ph34r:

strachan playing for the sheep got it at the jungle by a scumbag early 80's late 70's

Over here they have a poisonous snake called a sand viper. The locals call it the 3 step,(3 steps and down you go).

It would appear that a touch from the unwashed is just as poisonous as 3 steps was all that Dida managed.

Let's not forget the "on-bail" terrorist who was attending the match, the other terrorists and criminals within their support - a club founded on sectarian hate, Dida could se easily have beem murdered. I wonder if UEFA know about the "real antecednts" of their true fans ??

Their fans have all the right antecedents and I amazed that he escaped justice when running into the crowd. Surely, the decent fans amongst those people (if there are any ?) - would have detained the thug...instead he ran away and absorbed into the crowd of sympathisers.

Let's see how long it takes for those people to turn in one of their own - the integrity test is on ?

RM Watchers : Can someone post the thugs montage and a clip on the interent - so he can be reported and we can identify him ourselves (anti - fascist watch) ? as we cannot rely on the IRA sympathising report to whistleblow on their own.

Let's not forget the "on-bail" terrorist who was attending the match, the other terrorists and criminals within their support - a club founded on sectarian hate, Dida could se easily have beem murdered. I wonder if UEFA know about the "real antecednts" of their true fans ??

Their fans have all the right antecedents and I amazed that he escaped justice when running into the crowd. Surely, the decent fans amongst those people (if there are any ?) - would have detained the thug...instead he ran away and absorbed into the crowd of sympathisers.

Let's see how long it takes for those people to turn in one of their own - the integrity test is on ?

RM Watchers : Can someone post the thugs montage and a clip on the interent - so he can be reported and we can identify him ourselves (anti - fascist watch) ? as we cannot rely on the IRA sympathising report to whistleblow on their own.

Absolutely correct, no chance of the IRA sympathising tims shopping one of their own, historically they hide the perpetrators no matter how heinous the crime.