Burke: I'll fight for my Rangers future

OlegKuznetsov

Burke: I'll fight for my Rangers future

Last updated at 15:16pm on 21st November 2007

Rangers winger Chris Burke is determined to prove he is not yesterday's man at Ibrox after a frustrating start to the season.

The 23-year-old featured regularly last season but has made just one appearance in this campaign and has been the most obvious fall guy following the club's squad strengthening.

Manager Walter Smith brought in 12 new players during the summer and Burke has lost his place as a result, with the likes of DaMarcus Beasley and Steven Whittaker keeping him out of the team.

Full-back Alan Hutton's raids down the right flank have compensated for the loss of Burke's flair on the wing, and two-cap Scotland international Burke may face more weeks of frustration before he gets another first-team chance.

"The manager has brought in a lot of players and for me it's been difficult to get in the side," Burke told Rangers News.

"I'm happy to stay here and fight for my place, I just have to impress everybody in training and improve my game. When I get my chance, and hopefully I will, I will need to take it."

Burke signed a new deal in January, keeping him at Rangers until summer 2009.

He had been linked with a move to Aston Villa at the time but boss Smith, who had taken charge at Rangers earlier in the month, was convinced Burke was a top prospect and well worth keeping.

Smith has more options now than he did at a time when Rangers' squad was relatively compact.

That means Burke is unlikely to play in next week's Champions League group game away to Stuttgart, four years after making one of his early Rangers appearances against the German side.

Burke explained: "It is frustrating. I played in the Champions League and they are massive games and great occasions.

"To be left out of the squad is hard. It is disappointing as a football player because all you want to do is play, to play on the big stage and to play for Rangers."

Amdy Faye finds himself in similar circumstances to Burke, however the loan signing from Charlton has been slightly more active and has made five appearances.

The Senegal central midfielder is desperate to play more often and make more of a contribution to the club's season.

Faye, 30, said: "It's good to be at Rangers, but I need to play, you know. I came here to play, but right now I don't have the chance to."

I don't mind Burke being given a chance. I remember his perfomance Vs Inter.

However, I'm scared that Faye may get another chance and hope that Walter ditches him in January, thus cutting short his season long loan.

If Burke could get his act together then he would be a valuable asset, however he is never going to be a right winger due to hgis inability to beta the first man.

If we moved him inside I think he could be a good attacking midfielder as he has good dribbling ability and can drag defenders out of place quite easily.

However his contract rangle made him public enemy number 1 and I fear he will never get the full backing of the fans again as a result

I'm happy to stay here and fight for my place

From what Ive heard in some reserve matches he's hardly been fighting too hard - guess that 13k p/w and weekends off does make you a bit lazy eh?

What do really expect from a player who can collapse from heat exhaustion, in Aberdeen?

:rolleyes:

From what Ive heard in some reserve matches he's hardly been fighting too hard - guess that 13k p/w and weekends off does make you a bit lazy eh?

What do really expect from a player who can collapse from heat exhaustion, in Aberdeen?

:D

Burke has been getting some unfair stick. He has had problems with health and fitness and we should all support him.

agree'd, i like burke, if he could utilise his full potential we could have a more than decent player right there, unsure if he can though, he has his short bursts then calms down, sadly i dont think he'll be with us next year.

:lol:

and Hutton's runs on wing compensate for the loss of Burke says the article. I wonder if I need to start a poll on here to ask who we'd rather see attacking defenders, Burke or Hutton?

GTF BURKE!! said 3 months ago he had to xmas to wise up and he hasn't even pushed for a first team spot to date this current campaign, the boy needs a kick up the arse and a new club, he will never make it at the gers, enough said, sell him now to a 1st division side down south and take what we get otherwise we will get fuck all at the end of the saeson season.

Burke has had as many chances as tam buffel to play well for us and he has not taken them. i just don't think he has it, he is not a young kid breaking through anymore. He has not produced consistently for us and that is why he is nowhere near the 1st team. He is not a winger as he cannot cross so I don't think he will get back in.

Amdy Faye, even saying the name makes me worried. He is never a footballer and shiouldn't kick a ball for us in anger for the rest of the season IMO. I would much rather play a youngster like furmzn if we end up struggling in midfield later in the season.

Guest Andypendek

man, we went thru all this with hutton! he might not turn out to be any good but he has to be given a chance. since as we all know his crossing isn't that good, i don't see why he can't get a go on the left.

Wish he'd shut the f*ck up and do his talking on the football pitch. He certainly isn't doing it in the reserves so there is no way that he deserves a chance in the top team. He should take a close look at Buffel who is working his bollocks off in both training and in the reserves as he desperatley wants to play in the 1st team.

I wish we'd just get rid of him, no loss at all!

To be fair I think it was his bumber pay packet that weighed him down

Wish he'd shut the f*ck up and do his talking on the football pitch. He certainly isn't doing it in the reserves so there is no way that he deserves a chance in the top team. He should take a close look at Buffel who is working his bollocks off in both training and in the reserves as he desperatley wants to play in the 1st team.

I wish we'd just got rid of him last year when the contract was up, no loss at all!

Should never have offered him new terms. Can only assume it was that nobody wanted to make a snap call as PLG left.

Burke was player of the year for Rangers 2 years ago that proves he has what it takes technically. I'd give him one last chance, after that if he doesn't either make a considerable impact or get motm then i'd say get him shifted we could use his wages, and transfer fee if we can get a good one. I think folk forget the impact he made for Scotland as well in the kirin cup.

I miss Burke he's a fantastic player for us,but Walters no playing him,i seen a post sayin Faye is rotten and aye i agree he really is so Walter surely won't play him,i wouldn't be surprised if he was playing tomorrow tho,but as long as Rangers get the three points im happy we the have players and determination to get them