Ferguson's arrogance V Cuellar

Danny

Shouldnt have done it, frustration kicking in. Although IMO he was the only player in our side that looked as though he was going to do something. As per usual.

free kicks / corners though were fucking horrendous. schoolboy stuff

Had no problem with that. We were under pressure from 2 corners and the first one hadn't been defended well.

It looked as if there was going to be a short corner and Cuellar was going to rush out to defend that. I think Ferguson felt he was better served to do that so Cuellar could stay in the centre - hence the slightly aggressive gesture.

My thoughts too.

mine as well, i really don't see any arrogance in this, it's what a captain HAS to do. now i don't mean necessarily pushing team-mates, but a captain must be able to encourage the players around him and at times in the heat of the match fighting spirit and emotions manifest in actions like these. in absolutely every team players sometimes try to motivate or "wake up" each other like this!

do you expect barry to walk up to cuellar and quietly say to him "erm carlos, could you please concentrate on marking your man?", while the short corner was already being taken?

come on, don't interpret too much into this!

Never saw it but Ferguson p*sses me off at times. He moans and complains far too much. He should concentrate on his game before anyone else's. He's been average this season on a good few occassions.

Aye, possibly because Ferguson had told him to do so on his way out instead....?

Whatever happened they got in each other's way and Ferguson was in a rush to ensure it didn't affect our preparation for our defensive duties. It didn't so it's a non-issue IMO.

Non-issue indeed (tu)

Some very sensitive souls on here if anyone thinks that will have bothered Cuellar ! :lol:

Pushing Cuellar is right up there with him closing down the goalkeeper - fucking stupid and he should quit doing it.

If our forwards did that he wouldnt have to.

I kmnow what your saying, but by doing it he drags the whole shape of our team to shit. His job is to play in midfield not close down the keeper.

If every player did things that other players were meant to do then we would be a shambles.

It's the same when he insist on taking nera enough every throw in and corner when he sin't very good at them.

I thought Barry was very average last night, as he was for Scotland v Italy. The trouble is that when he's playing for Rangers, he tries to do everything regardless of how well he's playing that day. A number of attacks broke down last night because Barry couldn't deliver the telling ball through. Of course, the reality is that other lads were a lot poorer but BF underperforming is so noticable because he looks to run the show.

Aye, possibly because Ferguson had told him to do so on his way out instead....?

Whatever happened they got in each other's way and Ferguson was in a rush to ensure it didn't affect our preparation for our defensive duties. It didn't so it's a non-issue IMO.

Non-issue indeed (tu)

Some very sensitive souls on here if anyone thinks that will have bothered Cuellar ! :lol:

I don't think it necessarily did. I think a few folk are missing the point.

This opinion might not make me very popular around here, but this might have been one of the reasons PLG took away the captaincy from him. Maybe he felt either Ferguson wasn't doing a enough job or that he was taking the position for granted. Because last night, Ferguson wasn't a leader when we needed him the most. And that shove at Cueller is inexcusable. No matter how frustrated you are, you shouldn't take it out on your teammates. A captain isn't supposed to that. Sure, yell or whatever, but save the pushing for the other team.

I didn't like it when I seen it. I don't mind our Captain laying into players and yelling at them but he shouldn't be pushing them.

If it happened to me I would be thinking about what I was going to say to him rather than concentrating on the corner.

I think he feels he is top dog in our team, with him being a Rangers fan, Captain and fans favourite.

Thinking about it from my point of view for Cuellar's situation, I would think about it and have it lurking in the back of my mind.

Perhaps even be a bit quieter when communicating with him on the field.

Wasn't a great scene anyhow.

Non-issue indeed (tu)

Were we all up in arms when Ally McCoist Grabbed Gazza by the lapels and gave him a good push? I don't recall any complaints. Did Gazza lose respect for Ally because of that or did he raise his game and get on with it? I think some fire in the belly is needed some times and as big a fan as I am of Cueller, he can look a bit ..... languid .. at times.. Fergie may act occassionally like he is "Mr Rangers "but no-one has ever dissed him have they? I have never heard anything but words of respect for Fergie even from those who have moved on from the club

Ferguson is the club captain, he should be giving people a rocket up the arse if he thinks they need it.. Gough used to do it regularly as Captain.. some of the nine in a rowers did it despite not being captain. Goram used to rage at his defence.. I like it... it shows passion and commitment

I don't mind players shouting at one another if it's deserved. But I don't want to see the captain of the club I support shoving his teammates.

When players do that to one another you expect the captain to get between them and sort it out. I certainly don't expect to see a captain doing it himself.

Non-issue indeed (tu)

Were we all up in arms when Ally McCoist Grabbed Gazza by the lapels and gave him a good push? I don't recall any complaints. Did Gazza lose respect for Ally because of that or did he raise his game and get on with it? I think some fire in the belly is needed some times and as big a fan as I am of Cueller, he can look a bit ..... languid .. at times.. Fergie may act occassionally like he is "Mr Rangers "but no-one has ever dissed him have they? I have never heard anything but words of respect for Fergie even from those who have moved on from the club

Ferguson is the club captain, he should be giving people a rocket up the arse if he thinks they need it.. Gough used to do it regularly as Captain.. some of the nine in a rowers did it despite not being captain. Goram used to rage at his defence.. I like it... it shows passion and commitment

There is giving someone a necessary 'rocket..' and then there is unacceptable behaviour and I think that Ferguson's attitude in this respect is overdue some criticism. IMO the Club Captaincy is more than merely "moaning and greetin" (Ferguson's own words) and throwing one's weight around. I'll put this way, I didn't see Ferguson berate McGregor for his error and I've yet to see him aim a 'rocket' at either Adam or Boyd two players who are regularly criticised for lack workrate and poor attitude.

IMO the CC is as much about on-pitch encourgment, organisation and motivation as it about cajouling players into action (which is sometimes necessary). I've seen little evidence of this from BF, especially when our midfield drops out of the game, and when Ferguson is as bad (or anonymous) as anyone else in that area of the pitch. Fact is, BF never took this attitude to Ewood Park (despite being CC there) and I've noticed he certainly doesn't berate/cajoule his International colleagues this way. Is it because his writ doesn't extend beyond Ibrox?

Set-pieces have also been discussed. When Ferguson does his 'Mr Rangers' bit he is as bad as anyone else at squandering chances and what's more when someone else does emerge as a competent dead ball hitter they are abruptly dropped from this role in favour of the CC. If Ferguson wants to make this role his own then he ought to put in some more practice.

Barry Ferguson is a great player. But in my book he is an average Club Captain.