Murray Park

Craigy

IT'S almost six and a half years since Murray Park opened its doors with the promise of a brave new world for Rangers, but only now could it be ready to reveal its football riches.

The £14million training centre at Auchenhowie, Milngavie, was considered as good as anything on offer in Britain.

Dick Advocaat, Gers boss back in July 2001 and a prime mover behind the project, said there was none better in that cradle of youth football, his native Holland.

His prediction, that it could save millions in transfer fees by producing a conveyor belt of home-grown talent, has been slow to materialise. But that could be about to change.

It's generally agreed that Rangers have been playing catch-up with Celtic in terms of rearing their own talent, but the belief today is that the structure established by youth supremo Jimmy Sinclair at Murray Park is about to deliver big time.

Within the year, says youth coach Billy Kirkwood, Walter Smith will be provided with four or five kids ready to make the leap of faith from reserve football to first team level.

"Yes, the dream scenario is to save the club millions," says Billy.

"By producing homegrown talent for the first team you will get the extra drive of kids who know what playing for Rangers is all about.

"You see that with the likes of Alan Hutton and, of course, the captain Barry Ferguson."

Kirkwood continued: "Murray Park is a fantastic facility, but you can have the best facility in the world, if you don't have the raw talent coming in then you may as well train on the public parks.

"But the process is kicking on and already we can see that our reserve side is better than it was last year. Next year the reserve side will be better again and there is a group of five or six players going up.

"The youth department is striving to provide Walter with four or five young players who will be comparable to the likes of Hutton and Stevie Smith.

"We're looking to provide regular first team players, and also fringe players who will save the gaffer from buying fringe players or taking Bosmans and having to fund their wages.

"That has been Jimmy's vision for the youth department from day one."

The Gers youth coach added: "Success for us, the be-all and end-all, is having maybe four players making their debut with the first team by the end of the season, beginning of the next one. There is certainly the potential to achieve that.

"Below the likes of Paul Emslie, Andy Shinnie and Stevie Lennon, who all been involved at first team level, you have kids like John Fleck and Danny Wilson coming through. So we are confident we have both the quantity and quality to prove Murray Park a success."

With the Gers youth department and the first team squad all housed under the Murray Park roof, Kirkwood believes the benefits of his kids training and working with the likes of Davie Weir and skipper Ferguson is a vital factor in developing the X-factor in his boys.

He said: "We call it going across. It is fantastic when our kids get taken across to the first team pitches. You might have Barry Ferguson giving them a rollicking while Davie Weir is fantastic with them, talking with them - that is all part of the learning process.

"With Ian Durrant being involved with the first team and taking the reserves, we have a great link and it is two-way thing."

Kirky continued: "A few of our lads, like Stevie Lennon, have signed new deals. But we have said to them that demands are so high at the Old Firm that it is not always clever to be impatient to make the early breakthrough to first team level.

"What we have to make sure is that when the opportunity comes for our young players to break into the first team they are ready to cope with these demands. In that respect the contribution of our sports scientist Jamie Ramsden is important.

"But when the kids make it into the reserve side and then get the chance to perform in front of the gaffer, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall, and also train with the first team, hopefully all the work we have done makes them ready to impress."

But it is clear from the intensity applied to the Rangers youth development that every base is covered when it comes to attempting to meet the template of a first team player.

Kirkwood admitted: "At 19s we are working on everything including the kids' mental state as well as their physical development.

"Obviously their technique and what they do with the ball on the training field is vital, so there are a good few aspects that need to be tuned up and brought together to realise the end product - a young player who is ready to challenge for a first team place."

"You have to individualise but it is also important that you are developing the kids so that they can fit into formations and the team ethic."

Kirkwood summed up: "The 19s won the league and cup last year and that was tremendous, as Celtic have been pretty dominant over the last five or six years.

"They have set the standard and we mean to match that and kick on again.

"We are getting there and the structure Jimmy and Tommy have been putting in place will reap dividends for Rangers, I am sure."

Senior moment is over for rookie mentor Billy

IN the 10 years since his first spell as Rangers youth coach, Billy Kirkwood has bossed Dundee United and been assistant at Hull City, St Johnstone, Livingston, Dunfermline and Dundee.

But he's enjoying his second stint so much he has no desire to return to the Senior game.

He said: "I have been there and done it so far as managing in the Senior game is concerned and I am happy with that.

"Murray Park is the best facility in the UK and the talent we have is tremendous. It is a 24/7 job and there is pressure, but it is so rewarding."

Kirkwood says the structure put in place by youth supremo Jimmy Sinclair will mine a rich seam of talent for the Ibrox club.

"Last August, Jimmy and Tommy Wilson came in to Rangers and so did I. Jimmy is head of the Youth Department and Tommy is his right-hand man. My remit is under-19 youth coach and there is a massive infrastructure with a team almost within a team.

"Since Jimmy came in it has all been about developing this team ethos from the reserves, through the under-19s and 17s right the way down to our 10-year-olds.

"This infrastructure is dedicated to finding the best young talent."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...1915256.0.0.php

I always thought it would take between 7 to 10 years to bear fruit, given what I had read about the dutch facilities. The other thing is that Wattie has never been renowned for blooding youngsters. He had Fergie and Rooney at two clubs and only his moving on got these guys playing regular first team football.

everyone knew it was going to take a few years for us to start getting the benefit from murray park in terms of youth development( apart from jealous celtic fans who slagged us as we didnt produce the next zidane within a year) First of all murray park is a training facility, its not just for youth development. Secondly if you look at the first team now we have hutton and mcgregor who are established first team regulars. Stevie smith would be as well if he was fit, charlie adam plays a lot of games for us and burkey was a regular at one stage although i personally think hes blown his chance with us. These players are the first batch from murray park with hutton being the pick of the lot. I would say these players have saved us £5-10m in transfer fees. Not a bad return so far. Our under 19s and reserve teams are full of talented players as well with players like furman lennon etc looking like they may break through into the first team within a year or two. The future is bright.

Great Article!!

I remember a similar article about 2years ago saying that Murray Park had been grossly mismanaged and thats why we havent produced really ggod players.

But if you look at Hutton, Smith, Adam and McGregor we have produced some good players and with the youth guys we have just now it looks like we will have a very bright future.

I would just like to see some of the youth guys get a chance in the first team, even if its just for the last 10mins!

i have played there - and it could not be any better.

its a mater of if we have the right coaching staff - hopefully we do.

(but then , if they have the right coaches, why does WS teams not play proper footba ?)

I can see Walter eventually resorting to using our younger guys. He won't be given the same amount of money to spend as he did in his first spell so he will have to use our youth players at some point.

Certainly hope he doesn't continue with bosman signings for players over 30.

I always thought it would take between 7 to 10 years to bear fruit, given what I had read about the dutch facilities. The other thing is that Wattie has never been renowned for blooding youngsters. He had Fergie and Rooney at two clubs and only his moving on got these guys playing regular first team football.

Same here mate, bears are impatient by nature....but I predict fruitful times ahead

We have something special in Auchenhowie that could save us millions upon millions in the future

If Hutton does eventually move on for around the £8million region that will be 2/3 of the project paid for already

Everyone looks upon Advocatt as being a financial disaster for Rangers, but his vision could prove the exact opposite

:rangers:

Same here mate, bears are impatient by nature....but I predict fruitful times ahead

We have something special in Auchenhowie that could save us millions upon millions in the future

If Hutton does eventually move on for around the £8million region that will be 2/3 of the project paid for already

Everyone looks upon Advocatt as being a financial disaster for Rangers, but his vision could prove the exact opposite

:rangers:

(tu) About Advocaat

Maybe he thought, ''I've spent some amount of dosh here, I'll save them money in future'' ;)

Nah, I'm not really as cynical as that (tu) It really will save us money but in a positive way.

The pressure of winning makes blooding youngsters difficult. Furthermore until we get into that habit and killing teams off early, then there will be little chance for the young guys under WS.

Yet in Spain where the pressure is even greater Barcelona have been happy to start 16 and 17 year old players. From experience it is unlikely that any promising youngters will be trusted to play in our first team.

(tu) About Advocaat

Maybe he thought, ''I've spent some amount of dosh here, I'll save them money in future'' ;)

Nah, I'm not really as cynical as that (tu) It really will save us money but in a positive way.

He only spent what Murray agreed to, look at Sir Flim Flam on that issue

We have something special that will save us fortunes in the long term

For that Advcaat will in my mind in time, prove one of our greatest managers

(tu) About Advocaat

For that Advcaat will in my mind in time, prove one of our greatest managers

(tu)

Its not the facility that makes players, its the staff!!! For years and years I think we all thot Murray Park would overnight overcome the shortcomings in our homebased scouting and coaching network when this was clearly substandard. However, since George Adams left there seems to have been real progress at Murray Park since Jimmy Sinclair was appointed a while back!!!

The pressure of winning makes blooding youngsters difficult. Furthermore until we get into that habit and killing teams off early, then there will be little chance for the young guys under WS.

Yet in Spain where the pressure is even greater Barcelona have been happy to start 16 and 17 year old players. From experience it is unlikely that any promising youngters will be trusted to play in our first team.

spot on mate, walt doesn't bleed them in, FACT.

barca show how it can be done.

would rather see a young boy running like a dafty and trying his best than what we are seeing right now, they say it's coz it damage them if there too much pressure, bollox there at rangers , there will be pressure everytime they play.

it could also go the other way and give them the confidence to progress, but i know where to place my money.

Its not the facility that makes players, its the staff!!!

Lets be clear here.....a training facility doesn't make great players.great coaches make them and we're short of really great coaches

I don't think a single great player has ever been 'made' by any coach.

Its not the facility that makes players, its the staff!!! For years and years I think we all thot Murray Park would overnight overcome the shortcomings in our homebased scouting and coaching network when this was clearly substandard. However, since George Adams left there seems to have been real progress at Murray Park since Jimmy Sinclair was appointed a while back!!!

Good point.

What we need to remember is that Murray Park was NOT a youth academy from the outset...it was a state of the art training facility aimed at attracting established talent to come join us. The Youth academy aspect is really only now coming to the fore with the tightening of the financial reins.

The appointment of jimmy Sinclair has been extremely significant, and for me that was the point our Youth Academy took flight. I am in no doubt that the murray Park development works...its a top class training complex that attracts National and visiting Club sides alike - and Im sure helps swing possible transfers...who wouldnt want to "work" there every day? But the Youth academy itself is still in its infancy (sorry) and must be viewed totally separate.

Hutton, Smith, McGregor are the start, Im convinced more will come thru.....and whether we blood them at Ibrox, or sell them for a relatively large if not total profit, it must still be viewed as a success.