Ibroxblue

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Statement on Phil O'Donnell

Motherwell Football Club tonight announced that Phil O'Donnell has died after collapsing at Fir Park during today's match against Dundee United.

Phil (35) was rushed to Wishaw General Hospital by ambulance after collapsing during today's game. Motherwell Football Club and Dundee United medical staff believe he suffered a seizure and efforts were made to revive him en route to hospital

Despite the efforts of the two club's medical staff and medical staff at the hospital Phil did not regain consciousness and was pronounced dead at 1718 hrs.

Motherwell owner John Boyle said: "This is an unspeakable tragedy for Phil's family. At this stage we do not know the exact cause of death but the Club is obviously liaising with the medical staff at Wishaw General.

"Everyone at Motherwell is shocked to the core and we are sure that everyone involved in Scottish football will feel the same. Phil was not only an inspirational player for Motherwell and Club Captain, but was an inspirational person. All of us at Motherwell are thinking of his wife Eileen and their four children."

Motherwell Manager Mark McGhee added: "We are all totally devastated and our thoughts are with Phil's wife and family.Phil was a great professional and gave everything when he played the game.This is a shocking tragedy."

Further information will be posted on the Club's website as and when it becomes available.

Motherwell website.

His wife taught my little brother when he was at nursery and on more than one accasion he used to go and pick up his wife and stay for over an hour and have a kick about with all the kids!

Legend even if he did play for the other half.

Sad day for the sport of football!!

John Brogan (the Hamilton striker mentioned in Bazza's book) phoned earlier to tell me and ma dad that he had passed away. I think he was quite close to the O'Donnell family. It's a real shame as he has left behind his wife and 4 kids and was only 35, thats far too young 2 go!!!

On another matter if our away support cant observe a minute's silence for a decent pro on the 2nd at Parkhead I'll be disgusted but I'm sure when it comes to general decency then sense will prevail and morons will abait to respec O'Donnell's legacy!!! RIP

John Brogan (the Hamilton striker mentioned in Bazza's book) phoned earlier to tell me and ma dad that he had passed away. I think he was quite close to the O'Donnell family. It's a real shame as he has left behind his wife and 4 kids and was only 35, thats far too young 2 go!!!

On another matter if our away support cant observe a minute's silence for a decent pro on the 2nd at Parkhead I'll be disgusted but I'm sure when it comes to general decency then sense will prevail and morons will abait to respect O'Donnell's legacy!!! RIP

Well said KERRZO. Respect is the way.