Interesting stat

Stardog

IS THE SPL THE EASIEST LEAGUE TO WIN IN THE WORLD?

Living in Scotland, one is forced into two very definite things - spending lots of time in the pub, and being subjected to inexplicable enthusiasm for a rubbish football league, says Cam Haskell. A frequent pub-bound assertion of mine is that the Scottish Premier League is one of the, if not the, worst leagues in the world, due to the total dominance of the Old Firm. If it's only going to be one of two teams winning everything each year, what's the point? I suspect that this dominance would also extend to the Scottish Cup and CIS Cup too. What I want to know is a percentage figure for Old Firm wins in these cups and the league and how it compares to other crummy leagues.

"Taking it on a strictly percentage-based basis, two teams from 12 means only 16.66% of the teams in the league have a chance of winning it," says Billy Stewart.

"In the English Premiership, only three teams have ever won it (two of which still totally dominate the league). This means that only 15% of the teams have a chance of winning the league and I do not see that changing in the foreseeable future. Therefore there is at least one league which has a higher level of dominance than Scottish football."

Blackburn are the fourth, which he omits and that makes it 20%

Correct, although I think he is implying that only 3 teams are likely to win it, which is fair enough.

You couldn't rule out a Liverpool or even a Spurs or Newcastle getting it sometime, either.

Although according to Mad Vlad, Hearts'll be winning the Champs' League soon and probably the SPL before then.

:D

as much as the SPL does'nt exactly set the heather alight, it's far from the worst league in the world, FFS, have they ever watched the eirecom legue or the australian 'socceroo league, the yanks MLS, peru's league, the norwegian league, i could go on, but as far as the SPL being the easiest to win, try asking any other team outwith the OF if they would agree with that.

Blackburn are the fourth, which he omits and that makes it 20%

Correct, although I think he is implying that only 3 teams are likely to win it, which is fair enough.

who are the 4 that have won the premiership? man utd, arsenal, blackburn and......?

edit: sorry forgot about chelsea doh

but i agree with oleg, you cant rule out a spurs or liverpool win in the future (tu)

I live in Australia and have been to some of the A-League games and they are just frustrating. So slow paced and the players play around with the ball in the box too much instead of shooting. The SPL may be dominated but at least it has 2 good teams in it to watch.

As for domination in other leagues the Premier League has already been mentioned. The Eredivisie in the Netherlands has only been won by 3 teams since 1980. PSV-13, Ajax-10 and Feyenoord-3.

Other leagues aren't as dominated but come close. In the same amount of time in Germany 6 teams have won it but only Bayern Munich has won it more than 3 times getting a whopping 13 championships. Juventus and Milan have dominated the Serie A with 8 and 7 titles respectively. In Spain Real Madrid-10, Barcelona-9 with a smattering of other teams.

So you see since 1980 in every league I have cited there has been domination by 2 teams and only a a ew victories for other clubs. You could argue that on any given year there are a lot more clubs with the POTENTIAL to beat those teams but the stats say that they very rarely do.

I live in Australia and have been to some of the A-League games and they are just frustrating. So slow paced and the players play around with the ball in the box too much instead of shooting. The SPL may be dominated but at least it has 2 good teams in it to watch.

As for domination in other leagues the Premier League has already been mentioned. The Eredivisie in the Netherlands has only been won by 3 teams since 1980. PSV-13, Ajax-10 and Feyenoord-3.

Other leagues aren't as dominated but come close. In the same amount of time in Germany 6 teams have won it but only Bayern Munich has won it more than 3 times getting a whopping 13 championships. Juventus and Milan have dominated the Serie A with 8 and 7 titles respectively. In Spain Real Madrid-10, Barcelona-9 with a smattering of other teams.

So you see since 1980 in every league I have cited there has been domination by 2 teams and only a a ew victories for other clubs. You could argue that on any given year there are a lot more clubs with the POTENTIAL to beat those teams but the stats say that they very rarely do.

good point brissy. As far as I can see, every country has 2, 3 or 4 teams who win regularly.

Most leagues are the same, a couple of teams dominate and win almost everything and every now and again another team makes a challenge for a few years before sinking back down again i.e. Hearts winning Scottish cup and finishing second; Blackburn winning premiership, AZ in the Eredivisse, etc.

It's just the English are so pompous about having the "best league in the world" they sneer at the thought that any other league could be entertaining.