Gretna could fold

EMBATTLED Gretna could discover today whether or not they will go to the wall, according to interim head coach Mick Wadsworth.

Speaking in the wake of last night's 3-0 home defeat by Dundee United in front of a record low crowd for the SPL of only 501 paying fans, he conceded that the club could fold.

In fact, while their ailing benefactor, Brooks Mileson, remains in a critical condition, Wadsworth refused to guarantee that the SPL's bottom club will even be in a position to complete the remainder of their fixtures this season.

This would mark an unprecedented demise of a team in the top tier of Scottish football, and bring a nightmare end to the fairytale story of Gretna, the team who were not even a member of the Scottish Football League until 2002 and made a remarkable rise through the leagues to arrive in the SPL, also reaching a Scottish Cup final on the way in 2006.

The club's problems first came to light two weeks ago when players were not paid. This was explained by club officials to be an administrative problem caused by owner Mileson being in hospital, with no-one else at the club having the authority to sign off the payroll. However, Mileson has since left hospital and the wages problem persists, with no sign of the multi-millionaire being ready to cover the club's financial liabilities.

"We've experienced a great deal of difficulty and we're far from getting through it," said Wadsworth. "We're in a tough position and the survival of the club is on everyone's mind.

"A lot of people have worked really hard to try and keep this thing going but we're on a sticky wicket. We've managed to patch things up and get some money together so that the players have been paid up to date.

"We're in a very tight corner now, it's as simple as that. Tomorrow will throw more light on it because there is a meeting between directors of the club and the parent company and potential financial backers.

"I'm worried about the immediate future, for sure. Brooks Mileson is very ill and we have no direct contact with him: everything is through his son, Craig.

"We've had no financial assistance from that corner since Brooks took ill and if his condition is long-term then he has every right and reason not to think about this football club.

"What we do hope is that we can cobble it together to get through this season so there is a graceful withdrawal if necessary. But I don't know. It would be wrong for me to say anything about that because it depends on the meetings tomorrow.

"My concern is for the workforce and this group of players, who have been wonderful."

The attendance was less than half the previous low of 1,092 between Gretna and Inverness and cameafter the match was postponed twice in six days.

But Wadsworth said: "I think the SPL have let us down. To turn a game round in less than 48 hours when our public have got to travel the best part of a 200-mile round trip, I thought it was unfair. We wanted to play in a fortnight's time.

"I bet there were a lot of people who didn't know this game was on tonight, Rangers and Everton were on telly (in the Uefa Cup], Bolton were probably on another channel."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Just-50...-now.3854492.jp

It's rumoured Gretna's results would be voided if they fold. I'm told Celtic would gain a free Saturday (when we would have 3 voided points to catch up).

Fair play to the 501 fans that turned up. Mostly United fans probably.

Cant see Sellik being handed 3pts at this stage of the season though.

then again, it doesnt look good.......fuckin slimy tims.

I wish Brooks and Gretna all the best. If the club could be kept going till the split at least then there'd be a lot less mess imho. But if Gretna go bust and their games are wiped out, we lose nine points to Celtic's six and we ahve to try to catch up that three points while they have a rest.

Guest The Brown Brogue
that would be so typical. Sad the Gretna dream is coming to an end I hope Miles gets better no matter what happens to the team though

Not in my opinion its not, they bankrolled their way through the league whilst other clubs invested in their stadium to prepare for when (if) they make it to the SPL.

And Mileson used to be in the papers nigh on every week boasting that his diet only consisted of Lucozade and Cigarettes, and it had never done him any harm...I wonder if he still thinks that now...

Gretna are a nothing club and I won't care in the slightest if they fold.

Their presence in the SPL was unsustainable and the SFA / SPL should have at least carried out a risk management audit on the club after their promotion to ensure that they could meet all financial and sustainability commitments.

It was perhaps inevitable from the outset that it would come crashing down in spectacular fashion...and that looks to be the case.

I have no sympathy for those who court glory and spend above their means, whilst others are more realistic and act prudently. Let's remember that some of the players, backroom staff and the "tea lady" may all have their careers in jeopardy because of the foolishness and false expectation and hope temporarily offered by a few. Whilst, the owner is in a perilous health state, let's also remember those who may soon be unemployed and also - the embarrassment Gretna and its finances have brought to our national game and league. This impacts on Scotland as a whole and also ourselves and the other teams in our league.

i think it would be a shame if they fold but i have to say any talk of not being able to complete matches or points being voided is way off the mark imo. The spl would never be able to do that. Can you imagine if we lost the league due to points being voided? Just think of the legal problems that would cause. With only 10 games to go for gretna i am sure something will be sorted out to make sure they at least play their last games and then fold at the end of it.

they bring absolutely nothing to the SPL, it's a shame for any club to fold but it was obvious that a club that size could not sustain such a high level of football. They simply don't have a fan base, then playing home games hundreds of miles away was obviously going to deplete attendances even further

Their presence in the SPL was unsustainable and the SFA / SPL should have at least carried out a risk management audit on the club after their promotion to ensure that they could meet all financial and sustainability commitments.

It was perhaps inevitable from the outset that it would come crashing down in spectacular fashion...and that looks to be the case.

I have no sympathy for those who court glory and spend above their means, whilst others are more realistic and act prudently. Let's remember that some of the players, backroom staff and the "tea lady" may all have their careers in jeopardy because of the foolishness and false expectation and hope temporarily offered by a few. Whilst, the owner is in a perilous health state, let's also remember those who may soon be unemployed and also - the embarrassment Gretna and its finances have brought to our national game and league. This impacts on Scotland as a whole and also ourselves and the other teams in our league.

while I feel for Gretna and the condition of its owner, which is sad, I found it incredible that such a small club made it to the SPL, when there are clearly bigger clubs (with a fan base) in the lower leagues. They achieved their dream, but now it all falls apart.

while I feel for Gretna and the condition of its owner, which is sad, I found it incredible that such a small club made it to the SPL, when there are clearly bigger clubs (with a fan base) in the lower leagues. They achieved their dream, but now it all falls apart.

And now it could cost us 3 points.

In the paper this morning the SFA are going to loan them the money to help them through the rest of the season so they dont go into administration cause if they do every SPL team who got points of them so far will get them took of them so we would only be top with one point !!

In the paper this morning the SFA are going to loan them the money to help them through the rest of the season so they dont go into administration cause if they do every SPL team who got points of them so far will get them took of them so we would only be top with one point !!

aye, but we'd still have a game in hand as we'd get 3 games taken off to celtics 2

Looking at it another way, Celtic are guaranteed to slaughter Gretna in a couple of weeks due to the state they will be in. Goal difference may be important at the end of the season so for us it might not be a bad thing if Gretna disappeared .

aye, but we'd still have a game in hand as we'd get 3 games taken off to celtics 2

It would mean us playing an extra game to (try to) put our lead back to what it is at the moment. So hopefully it won't happen.

I think the SPL/SFA have to look to themselves here also. Its a nonsense to think people are going to travel from Gretna to Motherwell week after week when most of the Gretna fans are new to the club. It might just about have worked for a club like Morton with a long history and one of the largest travelling supports in Scotland. Trouble is, all the folk who bought Gretna tops from the cup games last year were doing it because it was nice, it was fun. Doesn't mean they want to spend 3 or 4 hours a week driving to see a team they barely care about get pumped. Even when they were top of Div 1, their average attendance was only 1500.

In addition to the very good points WeinBlue makes, its also important to remember that the vast majority of people who helped get Gretna into the SPL were let go the minute they got there in the interests of building 'an SPL-quality side'. My sympathies are probably with them above anything else given they earned the chance to play in the SPL, but never got it.