About the announcement

Danny

I may be misunderstanding it badly, and I will retract if so, but...

Is it just me or is the ticket free deal a disgraceful display of elitism on at least 2 fronts?

1: It's a club, or chairman, showing off to the rest of the world by buying all the tickets for a high profile European game. 'Look at us, we can buy all the tickets, we're so cool'. Just because it's unprecedented doesn't make it a good thing.

2: More importantly, this is preventing any bluenose who hasn't been away in Europe before from going to this game. Only those who have shown 'loyalty' are allowed to go. Exactly who the f*ck does the club think it is to go around deciding who is 'allowed' to go? That's actually quite despicable. You can reward your most committed fans if you so wish, but this is punishing the rest.

There is also the crucial point that while the away leg is free, the home leg has been vastly increased in price, meaning that rather than rewarding fans, they're being punished as a whole because this overall venture is making the club PROFIT, not costing them anything.

I may have misconstrued the whole thing, but if I'm right, this has left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is the ticket free deal a disgraceful display of elitism on at least 2 fronts?

1: It's a club, or chairman, showing off to the rest of the world by buying all the tickets for a high profile European game. 'Look at us, we can buy all the tickets, we're so cool'. Just because it's unprecedented doesn't make it a good thing.

2: More importantly, this is preventing any bluenose who hasn't been away in Europe before from going to this game. Only those who have shown 'loyalty' are allowed to go. Exactly who the f*ck does the club think it is to go around deciding who is 'allowed' to go? That's actually quite despicable. You can reward your most committed fans if you so wish, but this is punishing the rest.

There is also the crucial point that while the away leg is free, the home leg has been vastly increased in price, meaning that rather than rewarding fans, they're being punished as a whole because this overall venture is making the club PROFIT, not costing them anything.

I may have misconstrued the whole thing, but if I'm right, this has left a sour taste in my mouth.

I don't agree with your points 1 and 2, but the point after that about the increase in price, and the fact that it is the home supporters that are paying for the away supporters tickets is the relevant one.

some good points danny and you are spot on home fans paying for the away fans.

I think that's a very cynical way of looking at it.

I think it's a great PR move from the club and a good gesture to the fans. I don't really think your first point is at all fair. Fans outside looking in will no doubt applaud our club for making such a unique gesture.

In terms of our away fans, I don't travel abroad and I'm not a member of a supporters club so I don't know the details/facts, but are away tickets not initially exclusive to fans of supporters clubs anyway ? And after they've taken their allocation, they are available for everyone else ?

In terms of the home leg going up in price, I would think this is quite normal practice for any club if they reach the latter stages of the UEFA Cup. I don't think this is something that will be exclusive to Murray, that's just modern day football/business for you.

I agree, the announcement was a cynical publicity stunt, not just the con over the european game which tries to mask the 33% increase in the home tie cost. The announcement that the reserve games will be free to season ticket holders which is the status quo.

The freeze on season ticket prices while we are in a recession and while season ticket holders already pay £2 more than one off game patrons and pay, in my case £532 upfront.

The promise to make it flexible for season ticket holders to bring other children and change seats game by game is mindblowing considering the problem the ticket office has with simple ticket purchases.

The only concession made is the reduction for juvenile season tickets which is commendable and worthwhile for families and the club in the future.

Danny, I agree with you to an extent on point 2, I was thinking the same thing myself about folk who could possibly have planned this trip and it being their first of the season and now they will not get a ticket, or at least an official Rangers end ticket.

I felt if they wanted to do this then they should maybe have bought half of the tickets.

Surely the boys who've been following us all year away from home in europe deserve these tickets?

I would say so. And then after they've taken their allocation, whatever is left can then be offered to everyone else.

Surely the boys who've been following us all year away from home in europe deserve these tickets?

And surely the fans who do the same at home should be rewarded rather than being made, indirectly, to subsidise a percentage of the away fans, with the huge increase in the cost of the home leg ticket.

I have no problem with the club buying up the tickets for the loyal travelling supporters. However, it's no coincidence that this has happened after a large price hike for the home leg. I don't blame anyone for being cynical here.

The other stuff announced on season tickets is good news though and should be applauded.

In terms of the home leg going up in price, I would think this is quite normal practice for any club if they reach the latter stages of the UEFA Cup. I don't think this is something that will be exclusive to Murray, that's just modern day football/business for you.

Ah, but if the club (or the chairman) wanted to reward 'all' fans, then keeping the home leg price in line with the last round (ie ~ £25-30) would be much better than raising it to £35 given all the recent home matches surplus to what's on the season book (ie Hibs replay, Partick home, CIS semi-final/final, Bremen/Pana games.

That would remove the valid cynicism from many fans.

Ah, but if the club (or the chairman) wanted to reward 'all' fans, then keeping the home leg price in line with the last round (ie ~ £25-30) would be much better than raising it to £35 given all the recent home matches surplus to what's on the season book (ie Hibs replay, Partick home, CIS semi-final/final, Bremen/Pana games.

That would remove the valid cynicism from many fans.

Freezing season ticket prices surely rewards the home fans though ? Normal practice for them to go up each season, so that's money saved. And those with families are making a substantial saving.

I do acknowledge your point, but I think too many people are far too eager to jump all over this announcement. The knives are always out for Murray in some cases, and it won't matter what he does.

I think this announcement is positive, and fans would have to work very hard to paint it as negative. Because it's been getting positive publicity, which in turn puts Murray in a positive light, I think some fans are deperate to say, well yeah it's alright, but listen, it's not as good as you think............

Whereas in the first place, it was probably these fans that got completely carried away with the hype on the Saturday, whereas the rest of us were happy to just calmly wait and see what fell onto our laps the next day. Positive news, although nothing particularly special as it turned out, but nothing worth sharpening the knives for either.

i agree to an extent on that one.

Freezing season ticket prices surely rewards the home fans though ? Normal practice for them to go up each season, so that's money saved. And those with families are making a substantial saving.

I do acknowledge your point, but I think too many people are far too eager to jump all over this announcement. The knives are always out for Murray in some cases, and it won't matter what he does.

I think this announcement is positive, and fans would have to work very hard to paint it as negative. Because it's been getting positive publicity, which in turn puts Murray in a positive light, I think some fans are deperate to say, well yeah it's alright, but listen, it's not as good as you think............

Whereas in the first place, it was probably these fans that got completely carried away with the hype on the Saturday, whereas the rest of us were happy to just calmly wait and see what fell onto our laps the next day. Positive news, although nothing particularly special as it turned out, but nothing worth sharpening the knives for either.

1. Freezing season ticket prices does reward home fans. But it doesn't reward or excite 'all fans' - not everyone can afford season books so rely on single matches being reasonably priced. Season tickets also don't go up every season - they have for the last one or two years but were frozen previously for a few years IIRC.

2. It is a positive announcement but, given the unsubstantiated hyperbole that has come from Murray in the past, you can't blame any fan for being cynical about it. Especially when you consider what appears to be subsidised Lisbon away tickets on an unreasonable increase on the home leg tickets.

Like I say this cynicism or negativity could easily have been avoided by A) not exaggerating the above news; and B) keeping the home leg tickets at a reasonable level.

I do agree though that some fans will do anything to see the bad side of things from time to time.

:)

the actual ticket price for the away game is a drop in the ocean of the cost involved in travelling/accommodation/food/drink for the trip.

It's great to reward loyal fans, but are these fans actually saving much money from this?

Not at all. The travel club is based on points and quite rightly the fans who have the most points (ie who travel most often) get first chance of tickets.

It's the same system for every away Euro game - this time the successful applicants just get their tickets free.

The free tickets to the travelling fans (who have been superb) is a nice gesture and one that no other club would do/has done. Those that have travelled to the other away games should get precedence over those that haven't, LOYALTY should be rewarded.

The price hike for the 1/4 final, it's a massive game and as long as that money is invested back into the squad, I don't have any complaints. It's a 1/4 final in a big competition, there has to be a premium for that.

Freezing season tickets and reducing juvenilles is a welcome step also.

Still not convinced about the stadium, worried about the debt.

Thumbs up from me Sir David, but, we have made a lot of money this season and the transfer spend in the summer better be signifigantly higher than the £10 million being mentioned by the media.

I see some folk are on about the fact that supporters' clubs etc are always first in line anyway.

And I don't completely dispute that point.

But they don't cover ALL the tickets - and when normally the rest would go to those who may have been on their first trip away etc, they will now ALL go to the 'loyal' fans. Which I think is disgraceful and anything but inclusive. Ironically enough, as also mentioned, the ones being rewarded are very likely to have already paid for their away ticket via lieu of the home leg.

This whole think sucks quite frankly. But it is very cleverly presented to make it look like it's some kind of 'gift'.

Seems anything but, to me.

I have absolutely no problem with loyalty and commitment being rewarded - in fact I praise any club who recognise the contribution thousands of fans make to the cause.

But it SHOULD NOT EVER come at a cost of in some way 'hurting' the rest of the fans.

Guys, this is our first ever Uefa Cup quarter final, and some fans, who have supported the club all their life but for one reason or another never been to a Euro away tie, or few, may have saved up cash and would give their right leg to be there in Portugal. And are being denied that right. They should have as fair a chance as anyone else imo.

the actual ticket price for the away game is a drop in the ocean of the cost involved in travelling/accommodation/food/drink for the trip.

It's great to reward loyal fans, but are these fans actually saving much money from this?

So true.

Plus as pointed out, the hike in the price of the home leg means many of these fans are paying for both legs without actually realising it.

The free tickets to the travelling fans (who have been superb) is a nice gesture and one that no other club would do/has done. Those that have travelled to the other away games should get precedence over those that haven't, LOYALTY should be rewarded.

Yes it should. But this is not the way imo.

I see some folk are on about the fact that supporters' clubs etc are always first in line anyway.

And I don't completely dispute that point.

But they don't cover ALL the tickets - and when normally the rest would go to those who may have been on their first trip away etc, they will now ALL go to the 'loyal' fans. Which I think is disgraceful and anything but inclusive. Ironically enough, as also mentioned, the ones being rewarded are very likely to have already paid for their away ticket via lieu of the home leg.

This whole think sucks quite frankly. But it is very cleverly presented to make it look like it's some kind of 'gift'.

Seems anything but, to me.

I have absolutely no problem with loyalty and commitment being rewarded - in fact I praise any club who recognise the contribution thousands of fans make to the cause.

But it SHOULD NOT EVER come at a cost of in some way 'hurting' the rest of the fans.

Guys, this is our first ever Uefa Cup quarter final, and some fans, who have supported the club all their life but for one reason or another never been to a Euro away tie, or few, may have saved up cash and would give their right leg to be there in Portugal. And are being denied that right. They should have as fair a chance as anyone else imo.

great post danny. (tu)

They have not been denied that right.

The same process is being followed for this game as for any other. Season ticket holders (for domestic games) and travel club members (for away games) rightly get priority - then others can buy if these people do not take up their chance to buy first.