Fleck wonder goal takes young Scots through

Ibroxblue

Monday, 24 Mar 2008

UEFA Under 17 Championships Elite Round

Slovenia 0 v Scotland 1

22/03/08

Kick Off 19.30

The Showgrounds Newry Northern Ireland

Scottish Captain John Fleck clinches Under 17 Finals place in Turkey.

Match Report.

Scotland knew that a win or a draw against Slovenia would be sufficient to see them book their place in the finals in Turkey in May. It was Slovenia that looked more dangerous in the first 15 minutes of the match coming close on several occasions forcing the on form Grant Adam ( Rangers) to make some good saves. On the 17th minute Stephen Forbes (Rangers) came to the young Scots rescue by clearing off the line from a shot that had beaten Adams in the Scottish goal. Some resolute defending from Scotland kept the score at 0-0 at the end of the first half.

Half Time

Slovenia 0 v Scotland 0

The second half started with Scotland playing much better and they started to create opportunities in front of the Slovenian goalmouth. In the 70th minute Jure Bracko of Slovenia hit a 25 yard shot that hit the Scottish crossbar and rebounded to Robert Beric (Slovenia) who thought his header was net bound until Grant Adam produce an excellent save.2 minutes later their was joy in the Scottish camp when Captain John Fleck (Rangers) took possession on the halfway line and left a number of Slovenia players in his wake and unleashed a magnificent strike that flew past the Slovenian goalkeeper into the corner of the net to get Scotland the lead. 8 minutes later John Fleck created a final chance for Scott Robinson but his effort just flew wide. The referee blew the whistle to end the match signaling Scotland had clinched a place in the UEFA Under Finals in Turkey 4-16 May 2008.

Coach Ross Mathie.... "It has been a great tournament for us and we are all so delighted that we have reached the Under 17 Finals. The players have worked so hard and been a credit to Scottish Football. They have been well looked after by the backroom staff who have been so professional in their handling and coaching of the Squad. It has been a privilege for me to head up such a Team".

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news.cfm?newsid=3782

he started as a striker, but has been playing midfield for scotland youth teams.

not sure where's he's been playing in the reserves/youths but he is listed as a striker on the rangers.co.uk site

I did originally hear he was going to be scotlands version of rooney, so at that time he was defo thought of as a striker

When Walter Smith was asked about John Fleck, he said he was a striker.

I really hope this lad is given a fair crack of the whip. Everytime he plays, he's a clear stand out.

Good to see the young Gers doing well.

It's great we've seen him this season already, unlikely we'll see much more though for a while!

once we beat celtic in the next two old firm games the league will be virtually tied up by the split, then hopefully guys like fleck can get a few games :)

Fleck is improving with every month that goes by.

Hes getting stronger, his fitness is improving and he is beginning to dominate games and take up excellent positions.

He is wise beyond his years and he has a big future.

Walter feels he cant bring him in this season as we have to win the SPL title. Next season however, John Fleck will play a big part.

Cant wait till he is turning out for Rangers

Hes getting stronger, his fitness is improving and he is beginning to dominate games and take up excellent positions.

Walter feels he cant bring him in this season as we have to win the SPL title. Next season however, John Fleck will play a big part.

Would you put him in there before Lee McCulloch right now?

I think I probably would, a bit of youthful exhuberance and 'no fear' attitude could help us in our run to the title. Plus, he's one of the best youngsters in Europe if you believe what you hear.

I think I probably would, a bit of youthful exhuberance and 'no fear' attitude could help us in our run to the title. Plus, he's one of the best youngsters in Europe if you believe what you hear.

considering the age of some players that are playing for the biggest clubs in europe in much better leagues than the spl(dos santos and bojan at barca, paloschi and pato at milan all 18 or under) then fleck could easily cut it right now in the spl(as you saidif you believe what you hear).

No.

No fear is not what we need at the moment. We need strong (Physically and mentally)and Determined players who will get us over the finishing line.

Its too much of an ask for a 16 year old to come in and perform with no fear.

Next season and that goes for every other youngster we have.

once we have the league tied up then we should be playing guys like him and giving others a rest. Heres a shout why not stick him in against Thistle in the cup? The league and UEFA cup is what we need to focus and the Scottish cup is just a distraction anyway. Mind you I'd hate to see Aberdeen win it cos they'd never fucking shut up about it

hope he lives up to the hype and I'll say this too, we do not encourage our home grown players to switch allegiance from the country of their birth unlike some clubs we could mention. Its good for Rangers and scotland that we have good players coming through

we do not encourage our home grown players to switch allegiance from the country of their birth

To be fair to them (why i want to be fair to them I don't know) but I very much doubt Tommy Burns or Kenny McDowell who was in charge of their youth team would encourage this. Mcgeady is just a w*nk.

we do not encourage our home grown players to switch allegiance from the country of their birth

To be fair to them (why i want to be fair to them I don't know) but I very much doubt Tommy Burns or Kenny McDowell who was in charge of their youth team would encourage this. Mcgeady is just a w*nk.

His under 16 coach was Pat Bonner who didn't exactly discourage from following a path her was probably goin g to take anyway. See when they say 'my granda wanted me to play for Ireland' all I can think of it is that its pretty selfish of the granda or whoever because due to their emotional blackmail they are going to be hounded by loads of people.

Watched him play in the Victory Shield when he was only 14 and he was still the best player on the park. I know it's the other mob that get excited about they're young boys, but Fleck is going to be a superstar.

It's a well known fact they get excited about young boys over there..

Think we need to calm down about the lad.Yes he has talent and is improving but he is 16.....give him time

Watched him play in the Victory Shield when he was only 14 and he was still the best player on the park. I know it's the other mob that get excited about they're young boys, but Fleck is going to be a superstar.

It's a well known fact they get excited about young boys over there..

Think we need to calm down about the lad.Yes he has talent and is improving but he is 16.....give him time

It depends how you look at it.

Rooney was unleashed on the Premiership before he was 17 and has now made over 100 appearances, while Pato is making waves in Italy after just turning 18.

The SPL is nowhere near any of these leagues, so I'm not too sure if we should hold him back that much due to his age. A bit more 1st team action would surely be benefical to Fleck.