Hutton could come back some day

Ibroxblue

March 25, 2008

‘I had doubts about leaving Rangers but now I’m glad I made move’

Hutton feels he has become a better player Cole ‘wasn’t trying to hurt me with that tackle’

Graham Spiers

For a young man who was adamant he didn’t want to leave Rangers, Alan Hutton has recently had to pinch himself. The Scotland full back has found himself in the thick of the Barclays Premier League with Tottenham Hotspur, already a Carling Cup winner with his new team and seemingly an integral part of Juande Ramos’s team.

It is a scenario, frankly, which the 23-year-old Hutton fought to avoid. Having been offered a staggering £9 million for him by Tottenham, Rangers were desperate to sell the player, only to be confounded by Hutton’s desire to remain in Glasgow, no matter the riches on offer to him in London.

Even one week before being transferred in late January, Hutton famously told a former Ibrox confidant: “I’m telling you this now - I’m not going to Spurs.†Yesterday, however, while back in Glasgow for Scotland’s friendly against Croatia tomorrow evening, Hutton reflected on a remarkable twist in his career.

The full back, once overly-aggressive and hot-headed on the pitch, has developed into a highly likeable and companionable footballer. He also spoke honestly yesterday about the dramatic events which led to his Ibrox departure, and in particular the pressure which the home-loving Hutton felt at leaving his partner, their two-year-old son, and a new baby which only arrived last week.

“At first I was obviously a bit wary of going down to England,†Hutton said. “I had a lot of decisions to make that weren’t just about football – family decisions and such. I grew up supporting Rangers and then played for them, so it was a hard choice to make to leave the club. In my head I’d wanted to finish the season at Rangers before going down, whether it be in the summer or whenever. Rangers is a club I love and maybe I’ll play for them again at some stage.

“People thought I was holding off to go somewhere else, but I wasn’t. The Manchester United thing, for example, was something I knew nothing about. I was only taking my time because it was a massive decision for me and my family.

“At the end of the day it was about money: £9 million for a right back is a lot. Obviously I can understand that Rangers were going to try to take the money – ultimately, they are a business so they were obviously going to try to [do the deal]. But they are now happy, and I am happy, so fine.

“When I look back, I’m glad I made the switch and went to Spurs. It has been brilliant for me. To have gone to Spurs and been involved in the games I’ve been involved in recently has made it all worth it. I’ve really enjoyed it so far.â€

Scarcely three weeks into his new career in February, Hutton found himself a Carling Cup winner following Tottenham’s defeat of Chelsea in the final. That event seemed to symbolise the way life in the Premier League appeared to force the young Scot to push back the boundaries of his ability each week. Hutton has always possessed an athletic talent – it was the cerebral aspect of his play that would be tested.

“I’ve really enjoyed it and it has made me a better player,†he said. “You have to read the game more and be quicker in your thinking in England. It is definitely a better standard [than in Scotland]. Week in, week out you are playing against top players, so in terms of concentration you have to be on your toes. If you switch off there are players who can go by you in an instant, so you really need to be careful.

“Overall, I think I’ve done OK. I think I was ready for this. I know I’m able to cope with the pressures of big games and everyone at Spurs has helped me along. And the manager has been terrific. He’s really into his tactics, he wants everyone to know exactly what they are doing on the park: when, where, how. So as I say, to go down to Spurs and play in a cup final in my third game there, and to win, was a great experience. Hopefully, there is more of that to come.â€

Infamously, Hutton was the recipient of the high tackle last week which brought Ashley Cole, of Chelsea, into dispute with the referee, Mike Riley, though the Scot played down the episode yesterday.

“When it happened it was so quick that you couldn’t even think about it,†Hutton said. “Personally, I thought it looked worse than it was. Yeah, it was a high tackle, but the ball was up in the air. It happens all the time in football and will continue to happen, it’s just a part of the game. I spoke to [Cole] and he said it wasn’t meant, and I knew it wasn’t meant. He didn’t try to hurt me, it was just one of those things.

“It was unbelievable. As I say, I thought it looked worse than it was, but it was in the papers for days. It was in the news so much – I thought it was a bit strange to have that much coverage over just one tackle.â€

Hutton could end this season – if Rangers go on and win the Clydesdale Bank Premier League – with the rare distinction of possessing two medals from either side of the border, having played a sufficient number of league games for the Ibrox club – 20 – to warrant being given a winners’ medal. If it happens it will happily embody the affection the player retains for Rangers, his first and true love.

“It’s strange – Rangers could go on and win everything this year,†he said. “They are doing very well, but even the fact that I could actually get a medal if they win the league, having played so many games before leaving, feels weird. Obviously, I don’t feel a part of it any more.

“But I keep in touch there because I’ve got a lot of friends at the club. And one day, you never know, I might get to come back.â€

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3614357.ece

Maybe not as good but some very good players out there. We could of had Georgios Galitsios for £1million in January and we have supposidly been looking at Vasilis Torosidis(but so has a lot of other teams). Both of these guys are younger and in the same mould as Giourkas Seitaridis. Bernard Mendy is on a bosman along with a few others.

Must say, if Hutton continues his game by game improvement that has been occurring for the past 18-20 months, he'll end up at one of Europe's elite sooner than later.

He must have been on Ramos' radar back with Sevillie.

Must say, if Hutton continues his game by game improvement that has been occurring for the past 18-20 months, he'll end up at one of Europe's elite sooner than later.

When he had alves? and the mighty hinkel?

I am in agreement about his progress though, and the fact that Juande Ramos rated him enough to pursue him after working with one of the worlds best right backs in alves says it all really.

He also described Alan Hutton as one of his "Bullet Proof" players, one that is strictly off limits come the summer for any potential buyers, included in that list i believe were Berbatov, Woodgate, Keane, Lennon and a couple of others IIRC.

When he had alves? and the mighty hinkel?

I am in agreement about his progress though, and the fact that Juande Ramos rated him enough to pursue him after working with one of the worlds best right backs in alves says it all really.

He also described Alan Hutton as one of his "Bullet Proof" players, one that is strictly off limits come the summer for any potential buyers, included in that list i believe were Berbatov, Woodgate, Keane, Lennon and a couple of others IIRC.

Hinkel's pure tinkle.

Shame we don't have a fit Beasley or the like to exploit him. Then again, I reckon Burke or Whittaker can skin Naylor the failure.

Stupid , fucking pointless thread.

Hutton is gone. No more. History.

Its just embarrassing the way some folk are pining after him.

ACCEPT IT

Although a touch harsh, you do have a point.

People still cream themselves over him and talk about how he will be the best RB in the world, but the truth is that he hasn't even been that good for them yet.

When is Shuggie Burns coming back?

There was a quality RB. Proper Bluenose too.

I think we should break the bank for Shug, he'd only be about 42 now.

Shuggie is gone! No more! History!

ACCEPT IT!

ACCEPT IT!

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Bring Back Shuggie

ACCEPT IT!

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Bring Back Shuggie

He was useless. He won't be any worse at 42.

My cousin went out with him a couple of times.