Sporting Gaffer bemoans aggressive Rangers

Boab

Bento moans at 'aggressive' Gers

Wed 09 Apr, 09:15 PM

Sporting Lisbon coach Paulo Bento has hit out at Rangers for being too aggressive in last week's UEFA Cup quarter-final first leg at Ibrox.And he is seeking a strong performance from the referee in Thursday night's return leg at the Jose Alvalade Stadium with the game nicely poised following a goalless first match.

Liedson and skipper Joao Moutinho both left the field on a stretcher but returned to the action within minutes.

Bento insists there was no simulation on the part of his players and is hoping for a less aggressive approach from their visitors when they battle for the right to face Fiorentina or PSV Eindhoven in the last four.

He said: "Rangers are an aggressive team. We felt it in the first minutes at Glasgow. Two important players suffered heavy tackles.

"It's up the referee to do his job tomorrow night - we just hope we can keep our own control."

Liedson and Moutinho were both jeered by Ibrox fans, who felt both players had indulged in simulation.

But Bento insisted: "You just have to look at the pictures.

"Those two tackles were not over-reaction from our players - if anything, it was over-tackling on the behalf of the Rangers players."

His views were backed up by defender Leandro Grimi, who said: "Rangers are a tough, rough team but I hope the play fair and there will be no problems.

"But we just have to concentrate on how Sporting will play and not worry about the others.

"If you were to look at our legs after the match you would notice that we were not over-reacting or diving.

"Let's hope things go better tomorrow night."

Sporting will be without Anderson Polga after the Brazilian centre-half took a knock in the 2-0 win over Braga.

"Polga is not the only injury," said Bento. "You will just have to wait and see who Polga's replacement is."

Left-back Grimi added: "He is an important player for us but whoever plays instead will have the support of the rest of the team. We will make up for the absence of Polga."

As for the threat Rangers pose, Grimi said: "We know they are a tough, difficult team.

"Rangers play very well at home. We got an important result but nothing is decided. We need to work hard to get through to the next stage.

"We have to do everything we have been doing - stay calm and not get stressed. It would be nice to score early but it's not important.

"The important thing is that we score no matter what minute and win the match. Both teams will have to try to score.

"At the moment we can't tell if it's going to be a more open or close game than the one at Ibrox. Sporting will try to score, of course."

Following the goalless draw at Ibrox, he added: "You can always do better and I hope tomorrow will be our best match of the season."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09042008/1/b...ssive-gers.html

I hope they are indeed worried about our aggressive nature, because that will give us a physcological edge before the whistle is blown. When Kevin Thomson sends one of them up in the air after the first 5 minutes, they won't have the media to moan to. They either deal with it or go out the cup, because if they allow us to win the 50/50s in midfield tomorrow night, they'll struggle badly to get through this tie. :)

They're using the Fergie-like mind games to wind up the referee before the match. Cheating bastards that they are - this time give them an excuse to go down.

He hopes that putting this in the referees mind will make him less likely to penalise their diving

Exactly. UEFA should be cracking down on this sort of pressure on referees just as much if not more than they do on negative comments after a game.

Bento moans at 'aggressive' Gers

Wed 09 Apr, 09:15 PM

Sporting Lisbon coach Paulo Bento has hit out at Rangers for being too aggressive in last week's UEFA Cup quarter-final first leg at Ibrox.And he is seeking a strong performance from the referee in Thursday night's return leg at the Jose Alvalade Stadium with the game nicely poised following a goalless first match.

Liedson and skipper Joao Moutinho both left the field on a stretcher but returned to the action within minutes.

Bento insists there was no simulation on the part of his players and is hoping for a less aggressive approach from their visitors when they battle for the right to face Fiorentina or PSV Eindhoven in the last four.

He said: "Rangers are an aggressive team. We felt it in the first minutes at Glasgow. Two important players suffered heavy tackles.

"It's up the referee to do his job tomorrow night - we just hope we can keep our own control."

Liedson and Moutinho were both jeered by Ibrox fans, who felt both players had indulged in simulation.

But Bento insisted: "You just have to look at the pictures.

"Those two tackles were not over-reaction from our players - if anything, it was over-tackling on the behalf of the Rangers players."

His views were backed up by defender Leandro Grimi, who said: "Rangers are a tough, rough team but I hope the play fair and there will be no problems.

"But we just have to concentrate on how Sporting will play and not worry about the others.

"If you were to look at our legs after the match you would notice that we were not over-reacting or diving.

"Let's hope things go better tomorrow night."

Sporting will be without Anderson Polga after the Brazilian centre-half took a knock in the 2-0 win over Braga.

"Polga is not the only injury," said Bento. "You will just have to wait and see who Polga's replacement is."

Left-back Grimi added: "He is an important player for us but whoever plays instead will have the support of the rest of the team. We will make up for the absence of Polga."

As for the threat Rangers pose, Grimi said: "We know they are a tough, difficult team.

"Rangers play very well at home. We got an important result but nothing is decided. We need to work hard to get through to the next stage.

"We have to do everything we have been doing - stay calm and not get stressed. It would be nice to score early but it's not important.

"The important thing is that we score no matter what minute and win the match. Both teams will have to try to score.

"At the moment we can't tell if it's going to be a more open or close game than the one at Ibrox. Sporting will try to score, of course."

Following the goalless draw at Ibrox, he added: "You can always do better and I hope tomorrow will be our best match of the season."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09042008/1/b...ssive-gers.html

What he means is hel want the ref to blow every 2 mins for the diving were gonna witness tommorow :craphead:

They're using the Fergie-like mind games to wind up the referee before the match. Cheating bastards that they are - this time give them an excuse to go down.

Spot on mate (tu) . Let's hope the referee is experienced enough to know that's EXACTLY what it is.

Let's just put them out and shut this stupid f*cker up. If you can't handle playing with the big boys then you shouldn't be playing at all.

Liedson's injury was accidental. He's not above diving, on occasion (rarely, these days), but he isn't the type to fake being injured either. Moutinho's incident was an unsporting and very painful stepping of his achilles tendon, with no chance of getting the ball or any intention other than to hurt the player. The tv images are clear, and I recommend you watch them again before calling us cheating or diving or whatever it is that makes you feel better about your performance last week.

Liedson's injury was accidental. He's not above diving, on occasion (rarely, these days), but he isn't the type to fake being injured either. Moutinho's incident was an unsporting and very painful stepping of his achilles tendon, with no chance of getting the ball or any intention other than to hurt the player. The tv images are clear, and I recommend you watch them again before calling us cheating or diving or whatever it is that makes you feel better about your performance last week.

What about your own midfielders horrendous tackle on Barry Ferguson?

If his studs had been grounded it was an ankle breaker...I'd suggest you check fact before criticising our team.

I'm not criticising your team. I just find it silly and unfair that you're calling us cheating, diving or even unmaly ( :lol: ) over very real injuries. I would be the first to bite the bullet if we had resorted to unsporting tactics, but that wasn't the case at all (an opinion that even some of you guys seem to share). Why would our players fake an injury in a non-dangerous area when that means they have to be stretchered off the pitch and only be allowed to return a couple of minutes later? Doesn't make much sense to me. ;)

I'm not criticising your team. I just find it silly and unfair that you're calling us cheating, diving or even unmaly ( :lol: ) over very real injuries. I would be the first to bite the bullet if we had resorted to unsporting tactics, but that wasn't the case at all (an opinion that even some of you guys seem to share). Why would our players fake an injury in a non-dangerous area when that means they have to be stretchered off the pitch and only be allowed to return a couple of minutes later? Doesn't make much sense to me. ;)

simple - trying to get people booked or sent off so they miss the next leg.

i notice both got up after their "horrific" injuries and carried on playing without any obvious effects.